So Unhappy With This Cake

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:59am by OfficerMorgan

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 19

I downloaded a pic of the bottom two layers of a huge cake I am making for tomorrow. The fondant work is horrible, especially the bottom tier because it was so big and I had trouble with rolling it out big enough (ended up to thin). I really need to work on my fondant skills big time....maybe should just stick to buttercream.

I hope when I deliver this tomorrow (will have another tier on top) they like it despite my poor fondant skills.

deb

18 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 19

It's harder to cover the carved cakes because you have to make the fondant come in even more at the bottom of the tiers. Keep working at it, don't give up! I see where you had trouble smoothing it out, but that will get easier the more you do it.

I don't want to overstep, but if you're looking for a way to cover up some of the wrinkes on the bottom tier you could get some buttercream or royal icing in the same purple color and pipe little designs inside the diamonds, That would cover up some of the uneven spots. Maybe some cornelli lace or scrolls in some diamonds and stripes in others? It would still be the purple color and it would match the whimsical-type design you're doing overall.

swoozie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoozie Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 19

Great suggestions on the cornelli lace or stripes! UGh fondant... I have only used it a couple times myself one time with great reults and the second with results just like your pics.
All I can say is practice practice practice! rolling out thin but not too thin is key ( as you have already figured out) Best advice of all is dont beat yourself up! Enjoy the process of discovering another facet of cake dec!
Most people will love the color and wimsy and never notice flaws that we decorators see.
Some of my nasties looking cakes ( in my eyes) my customers have loved! I made a wedding shower cake today that was black and white roses with green leaves. no writting on it. look like the perfect goth cake they we thrilled! I was mortified!

MomLittr Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 19

I posted two more pics of the cake - used the idea of colored buttercream to hide some of the imperfections....thanks! Also made some very soft (almost watery) fondant from leftovers and used my finger to rub it into the really dry looking parts.....hopefully it will work, looked better anyway.

deb

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 19

That purple tier looks a lot better now. It's going to be cute when you get the whole thing together with the third tier. Don't worry, they'll love it!

MomLittr Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 19

Well I delivered this an hour & a half away. Did not put the top tier on until I got there (in my pics). A little over an hour later she called to say it collapsed! icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif I am embarrassed, mortified, extremely upset. I charged her $250 for this cake, it was a surprise party for her mom's 50th birthday, and my collapsing cake must have ruined it! The only half saving grace is the bottom tiers survived. I thought all yesterday and today what I should have done better - 1) assemble on site; 2) insist the cake be inside - it was outside party and cake was under the shade, but knew in my heart it was too warm; 3) pound in a center dowel - thought since it was not being moved it would be ok..... live and learn.......just too far a ride for something like this. I had mousse filling on the flat layers, but that also might have helped the middle tier become soft and unstable. I left her a message saying I would refund half (other half is what I spent on supplies). Time to either hang up my spatula for a while, just stick to buttercream, or press on and find a way to make fondant cakes right!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:59am
post #7 of 19

its not time to quit! like you say, press on, and you will get there.
if you know the fillings a client wants might be a problem in the heat, then you need to say, 'as a professional, i would strongly advise you to use something else. if you wish to choose something unstable, here is the release for you to sign'. at least then if something happens, they are warned, and your money is safe.
xx

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:05am
post #8 of 19

The finished cake doesn't look as bad as the first picture you posted of the bottom two tiers! Practice makes perfect, I'm so sorry that the cake collapsed. I always use a center dowel in tiered cakes, you can't go wrong by having one! Hugs to you, cheer up and press onwards, practicing your fondant skills as you go! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:17am
post #9 of 19

Believe me, when I made my first fondant cake (in my photos) I cried. I had a hard time laying a piece of fondant on a 12 inch round. I had to do something so I just used a different technique that I just figured out. I just covered 3 tiers with strips of fondant. I wasn't very happy but I'm glad I had a finished cake.

My second time with fondant came on my brother's birthday. I had to cover a 14 inch (8 or 9 inches high, I forgot) cake. It was so difficult so I just put strips of fondant to make it look like a some type of skirt. It turned out fine.

If you are not familiar with a certain thing, always think of other plans as well.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #10 of 19

You will really, really be happy with Sharon Zambito's DVD, 'Flawless Fondant'. She demonstrates how to avoid every single thing that has happened to you with this cake and more! Very clear, very step by step. She makes working with fondant make sense! PM her = sugarshack
DON'T give up, you're just in a learning curve and need to practice....who doesn't???? Your colors and design were great.
Best wishes!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:43am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

You will really, really be happy with Sharon Zambito's DVD, 'Flawless Fondant'. She demonstrates how to avoid every single thing that has happened to you with this cake and more! Very clear, very step by step. She makes working with fondant make sense! PM her = sugarshack
DON'T give up, you're just in a learning curve and need to practice....who doesn't???? Your colors and design were great.
Best wishes!

DITTO!! I've been in the same situation - (as we all have!!) If you love what you are doing and it's your passion - DON'T GIVE UP!! Even if you try to 'put down the spatula' - you won't be able to!! Once caking is in your blood-it's HARD to walk away!! I've learned a LOT from Sharon's DVDs and she is the best! And I promise you, if you have any questions, pm her and she WILL get back to you and do everything to try to answer your questions!! thumbs_up.gif

Best of luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

MomLittr Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 19

Still have not heard from this girl about the cake. Yesterday I sent her a refund of half (my husband said it should have been no more the 1/3rd) and asked her to call me when she got it, and that if she was angry with me, I understood. Was sent interoffice mail so I am sure by now she has it. Would rather she call and b***h me out about this than the silent treatment..........still feel so bad about this.

deb
icon_sad.gif

MomLittr Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 19

Still have not heard from this girl about the cake. Yesterday I sent her a refund of half (my husband said it should have been no more the 1/3rd) and asked her to call me when she got it, and that if she was angry with me, I understood. Was sent interoffice mail so I am sure by now she has it. Would rather she call and b***h me out about this than the silent treatment..........still feel so bad about this.

deb
icon_sad.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

deb
icon_sad.gif

Only 1/2? The cake collapsed. I am sorry, and I am sure I will make no friends here by saying this, but that cake collapsed was not worth $125. JMO, but anytime a cake falls it means that you did not hold up your part of the deal. She deserved a full refund.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #15 of 19

I understand but don't beat yourself up to much. I should take my own advice but it is true. I remember when I did my first topsy tury cake and I woke up the next morning to see the top part fallen over on the counter. I was so frustrated but even the best of the best have a hard time. You just got to keep at it. It does get better. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #16 of 19

Spoke to the girl tonite. It was only the top part that fell over. From what she was saying about the day, it was definitely too warm for a cake to be outside, even in the shade. Everyone loved eating it though!

deb

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #17 of 19

Did the entire cake collapse or just the top tier.....unless I misunderstoon your earlier post then the bottom two tiers were ok and edible, correct? If so, then refunding half is certainly enough. As for her not calling you - I have found that I worry and worry over cakes and other people aren't even thinking about it. I tend to stress if I don't get a call saying the cake was fine, great, horrible whatever - but I am finding that most of the time people are happy with it but just don't even consider that you want to know. So, it is possible that she is fine with it and has basically forgotten it, not knowing you are worried over it. Cheer up and give yourself a break, these things happen to everyone. Hugs!
Karon

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #18 of 19

Ahhh...I see you posted a reply while I was still typing...see I knew it was probably fine! I'm glad they were happy with it!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #19 of 19

Oh, I am really glad to hear that it was only the top tier and that they were still able to eat it. It's also nice to hear that the girl was kind about the situation.

Don't give up on cakes yet, it just takes time, practice and patience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%