Really Need Help With This Complaint!!

Business By SweetArt Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 1:01am by Lisaa1996

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #91 of 212

I dont see anything that looks overdone, burnt or black? Is it supposed to be from this cake?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #92 of 212

Thanks for the update, although it doesn;t sound good you are in a good place now, you have pictures, you have evidence, im sure you are recording the dates and times of your converstations since the wedding and making notes about the converstations too, arming yourself so you'll be ready to 'stick it to her' in court. Your cakes weren;t burnt, thats the crust you get when you bake larger size cakes. (i actually like that part the best!!) i also find it strange that she is putting so much energy into this when she is a newly wed!! she should be doing other things!!! good luck though, we've all got your back here.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #93 of 212

Wow that wedding cake is so pretty!! I doubt you will hear from her again, and if you do just tell her to take you to court. No lawyer will waste their time on this one on a contingent basis, and I'm sure she won't pay one by the hour to do so. Sorry you had to deal with this, just a shame what people try to get away with. It was a really lovely cake too. icon_sad.gif

Brooke420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke420 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #94 of 212

What a beautiful cake!! I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #95 of 212

What a psycho moron dumba$$ no brain having piece of crap. Wow. Poor guy that she married....what a loser. That cake looks heavenly...not a thing wrong with it. So sorry you had to deal with such an imbecile. icon_sad.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #96 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

NO REFUND,not one cent,the cake looks yummy.I want to steal a slice, she is a foolish woman.At least you got pictures let her take you to court.

No! Don't steal it! you will get arrested!
Funny...the cake was so bad and not edible, but heaven forbid you steal a peice!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #97 of 212

Let me also add that I have never seen a white cake without GOLDEN edges. Not brown, black or charred, GOLDEN. If it didn't have that nice edge, I would be concerned. Why don't you buy a costco cake and cut into it, I can guarantee it will look the same!! Then you can shove it in oober bridezilla's face.
Anyway, I think you should just tell her that you do not negotiate with terrorists!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #98 of 212

Calling the police because a decorator attempted to take a piece of cake for a picture? Heaven forbid the cops actually have criminals to arrest.

Again, people with no integrity are taking over the world. So sorry you have to go through this.

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #99 of 212

dkelley, I am so glad you mentioned cutting the edges off! I am very new to decorating and I have trimmed all my cakes just for the look of the cut cake. I was starting to think I should not be doing this.

SweetArt, I truley am very sad you have had to deal with this situation. I really feel she will just go away now. You have pictures and tasted the cake yourself. You did not buckle to her threats. I hope you will still be trying to meet with the venue and follow up you visit with them.

Bless you and keep doing what you do. You do amazing work. Keep being a great example to us newbies.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #100 of 212

You cake was beautiful, looked normal to me. I agree that trimming the edges might be an idea for future use. However, I found that using Wilton's cake release makes my cake edges darker than usual. I don't know if you use anything like it but it doesn't affect the taste or done-ness at all. Good luck with this lady.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #101 of 212

That cake looked DEEEEEE-LISH!!! What a foolish girl she must be.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #102 of 212

Ok - can NOT resist the urge to reply.... THE COPS???? Are you kidding me? icon_eek.gif For taking a picture of a piece of cake - which she brought to you to "inspect" & I would suspect can be considered as given to you (how else can you check it?) - Did she want the fork full you tasted back too? UGH- UGH! The cops were probably thinking - "SERIOUSLY?"
Kudos to you for keeping your cool...
As for the lawyer - if this goes anywhere, don't know if it would help but I'd consider baking the same size cake as well as a smaller one to take as further "evidence" of the baking process. So glad you had a chance to take photos - they speak a thousand words. Date & record everything in case she is that bored with her newlywed life & pursues this.
BTW Shouldn't she be on a honeymoon??? She is someone who seriously needs to relax! Sorry you have to go through this.... again - UGH!!!!

PS: as for trimming the cake - when I took a cake class & we had to trim we couldn't resist sneaking a piece of the "cake scraps" - the best part! Delish! hee! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #103 of 212

Wow. Just......wow.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #104 of 212

Wow. I really can't believe it. Your cake is definitely not burnt.

I once took a yellow cake out of the oven and my friend said "I thought it was a yellow cake". I just stared at her with my mouth hanging open. I explained to her that's what happens with cakes. I still don't think she believed me.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #105 of 212

I realize that to some people money is everything but don't you think that this girl should have been on her honeymoon having a good time. This leaves me wondering what kind of hell she put the bridal dress shop thru also!!!!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #106 of 212

My favorite tasting part of the cake is the darker part, especially the cracked top on a pound cake-YUMM!!!
I'm definitely a people pleaser, at my expense, but she's just simply nuts! forget about her, with absolutely no refund. Anyone that knows her or talks to her for 10 seconds would not have any value in her opinion of your cakes, so don't worry about bad publicity.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #107 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I've done this for a long time and I'd like to share a useful tip with all of you guys for the future. I always carve away the crust on all of my larger tiers (white or yellow cake). So when the cake is sliced they just see the same uniform color from middle to edge.

From a customers perspective I can see why she thought the cake was darker on the edges they CERTAINLY WERE NOT BURNED, I'm not saying it was burned so please don't flame me.

When you slice off the edges i.e. sides, top and bottom of a layer, you don't get any dark color at all.

As the OP said it's hard to not get the darker edges (corners) whatever, when we're baking the larger layers, but you can get rid of them.

icon_smile.gif

I agree with dkelly about cutting off the edges. It makes for a prettier presentation and you'll avoid this kind of fall out from people who know nothing about cakes. Do NOT refund her for the corners or anything else about this cake. It's not your responsibility to pay for her ignorance OR to finance her cake education.

Best of luck.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #108 of 212

I just have to add:

Everyone keeps asking why she isn't on her honeymoon enjoying herself.... what most likely happened is her new hubby went down the list and colorfully exclaimed, "YOU SPENT HHOOOWWW MUCCCH on this cake???!!!!????" and now she has to do whatever it takes to honor her reply of, "Oh love of my life, fear not, I have a plannnnn (insert evil laugh here)."

No refund.
No self doubt.
No more anger (don't honor her ridiculousness that way)
and add a line to your contract to be initialed that reads something like
"Due to the nature of baking, some (lighter) cakes may present with a darker edge, however, this is not a reflection of being over cooked and does not affect the taste or quality of the cake."

Something all legalese sounding.... just a thought.

madhattercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhattercakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #109 of 212

I would bet you $100 that the bride has NEVER seen the inside of a kitchen, let alone baked anything in her entire life! Any dip would know that is NOT burnt. May I suggest something? If she lawyers up, get your own lawyer and explain the situation and I bet you that her complaint will hold NO merit. Make sure you get the testimony of the two people your were talking to before and I can bet you your lawyer will cut these people off at the knees for this ridiculous scam. I had a similar situation (not dealing with cakes but something else) and went to my lawyer and he said they had no legal right to what they were doing and wrote a letter to them saying that if they proceeded they would be considering harassment charges and that if they had any more complaints to direct their complaints to him (lawyer) not me. Boy that shut them up! icon_twisted.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #110 of 212

Amazing! That cake does not look overcooked in the least! Yes, please show me how to not have the outside of the cake turn brown...UGH! Glad you stood your ground.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #111 of 212

i feel like K8Memphis....sounds pre-medicated (oops meditated) to me, too....she couldn't wait till they put her cake on the table to gasp....."AHHHH....burnt cake!" whatever! Simply put if she doesn't have time to bring that cake TODAY, she won't see a penny of refund. I wouldn't worry about her, because anyone that she would have referred your business to, probably knows her and knows she's a drama queen. The guests either liked the cake or they didn't.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #112 of 212

What a piece of work. I'm glad you didn't give her a refund of any kind. Your cake was beautiful never doubt what you do just because of one ass****

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #113 of 212

Husker fans. That explains it.

J/k to any Husker fans out there. But K-state rules!

In my real line of work (Human Resources; I'm not a pro caker), I get threatened every day by people saying they're calling their lawyers. If I had a dime for every time I was told that, I wouldn't have to work! Don't worry about her lawyer threat. She can take a flipping hike. icon_biggrin.gif

You have a witness of your own (the cake cutter) that totally disputes her story. You have your pics which clearly do not show a burnt cake.

Do not beat yourself up over it. She probably thought you'd just roll over for her. Good for you for standing up for yourself. I doubt you hear from her again.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #114 of 212

She knows nothing about cake. that cake looks fine, even a few days later. She probably loves underbaked cookies, too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #115 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiosa

..and add a line to your contract to be initialed that reads something like "Due to the nature of baking, some (lighter) cakes may present with a darker edge, however, this is not a reflection of being over cooked and does not affect the taste or quality of the cake."

And people wonder why a contract to buy "just a cake" has to be 3 to 15 pages long. Because we deal with flippin' IDIOTS, that's why!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #116 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

My favorite tasting part of the cake is the darker part, especially the cracked top on a pound cake-YUMM!!!

OMG! I made a butter cake on Thursday that I slightly over filled. So naturally, there was a little "crunchy edge" around the top! I TRIED..I WALKED AWAY, but, alas I wasn't strong enough. I trimmed that puppy while it was still warm and scarfed down those crunchy edges! YUM!

Beth in KY

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #117 of 212

I could go for a slice of that groom's cake right now. What"s the filling, it looks caramely. Yum.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #118 of 212

That grooms cake is awesome!! I'm a husker girl!!! icon_smile.gif

This bride is a piece of work! Makes me want to never do a wedding cake!!!!!

I think your handling it great though, glad husband was able to stay with you today as well!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #119 of 212

Your cake is gorgous. You really did nice work on it.

It still looked delicious even though several days had passed. I bet the photos of that cake would make any judge's mouth water.
The caramel and vanilla combination sound wonderful.

It is as if she intended to cause major drama. It wouldn't cross the mind of normal thinking people to call the police. She must have planned a big show-down with each vendor before the wedding.

Have you spoken with the other vendor's to see if she is pulling this on them?
Was the Venue manager present for all of this?

-Debbie B.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:38pm
post #120 of 212

[quote="cakes22"]If it were me and she called the cops, I would have been arrested for shoving that cake so far down (or up depending on which end I started at) her throat!!!! Death by cake.....a whole other meaning.

They would have arrested me also. That bride knew what she was doing and when it didnt go to plan she got mad. I cant believe how people get so crazy over a cake. I mean isnt having the people closest to you sharing your special day more important that the food and cake. I guess thats just my thinking though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%