Never Buy Cheap Mms!

Decorating By LizzyB Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 10:49am by LizzyB

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 7

We have had no decent MMs in our stores for a while - it happens here -and I had to buy some nasty cheap things - never again! My MMF was like a rock, wouldn't roll out at all. Though I may be doing them an injustice this is the first time my MMF has turned out like cement, so I am putting it down to these nasty MM's. The baby shower cake I had to do was saved only by a last minute batch of BC and a tip 16!
Does anyone know for sure if a cheap quality MM would have this effect on my MMF?

6 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

I use walmart brand marshmallows, and havent had a problem yet, but I dont know who really makes those!

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

I use the walmart brand marshmallows also and so far I haven't had any problems with them.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know for sure, but I have had other bad experiences with using offbrand marshmallows in baking, so I ONLY use kraft jetpuffed. The consistency of the offbrand marshmallows can (in my experience) be VERY different than the kraft ones, so it makes sense to me that it can certainly affect the end product. Only brand name for me!!

Sorry your MMF is screwed up icon_sad.gif

LizzyB Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:14am
post #5 of 7

Yes Maggie I am convinced too. My MMs were not just offbrand though, the only ones I could get were not even of this planet. (Being a little PC here). But only kraft for me too in future thumbs_up.gif

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 7

one time the kraft mm's were off color and the fondant was ivory...made a pretty cake, but not white. since then, i started using FLUFF mm creme. it's always so white, and no microwaving.... and soo good! birthday.gif

LizzyB Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #7 of 7

I had the ivory coloured Kraft MM too and they were fine. I did add a drop of white food colour though. Strange enough though, the MMs I got were the most brilliant white I have ever seen on a MM. I just wish we had the stocks of MMs that the rest of the world has. Today the only ones I could get were Campfire, but as they say made in US I should be safe - at least I can read the writing on the pack this time wink:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%