Informal Wedding Cake Display?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 3:47am by SweetMelissa2007

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 8

Gosh it's been ages since I've been in here - with no computer at home at the moment, I can only limit my internet time at the library to emails and such, though I'd much rather be spending hours in here every day!

I have a question. I'm doing my niece's wedding cake end of july and I need to send her some pics of possible cake display ideas. We haven't decided on exact colour, as she's still searching for her maid of honour's dress, but she likes the idea of some fresh flowers and they definitely want fondant. The issue is she doesn't want a traditional tiered cake display, as she thinks that's too formal. Other than simply dispersing the tiers on individual stands around the table, is there anything else out there I might consider that would be less formal? I would normally go google and find out myself but as I said my internet time is limited to an hour a day at the library, which as you all must know is just not enough time when it comes to cake research. The reception will be out in the backyard of his grampa's house so while I'm preparing a fine feast as well, it will be outside and there will be the potential of kids running around, not sure what table I will have at my disposal, so I'm definitely not interested in anything high that could tip over.
Any pics of informal display ideas (but classy of course), or links to your own that you have done, or general ideas/comments/suggestions would be super appreciated and helpful. I'll check back tomorrow etc as I only have now 5 minutes left (grrr).
TY and happy baking!

7 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

What about a cake where the tiers are offset like in this picture? Try this link.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633737.html

Or if you did a topsy turvy cake with styrofoam?
LL

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 8

Sounds like a cupcake wedding to me.

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 8

Have you thought about doing cakes as centerpieces? It's more work for you but it's a fun way to do cakes. I just did my very first wedding today and they wanted cakes as centerpieces. We did 10inch rounds on each table and a small two tiered for the head table. A few tables had cupcake trees too. It gets people mingling to try all the different cakes too.

Otherwise I agree with Ballymena...cupcake wedding.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for the ideas so far! I have now finally confirmed the table configuration, which will narrow down display possibilities, and open up for more creative ideas. The tables are going to be in a horseshoe shape with the bride and groom sitting at the bottom end, everyone having a view of the lake. She still wants to look at some more shapes/design concepts that I sent her to look at. In the mean time I suggested the little cakes at each group of people, like little centerpieces, as was suggested above. So has anyone here had a horseshoe/U shape concept and do you have any creative ideas for this kind of setup, besides cupcakes (which I'm not sure they're keen on at this point). Oh and the stacked tiers didn't get thumbs up, although I personally really like that topsy turvy picture above. But from a logistics standpoint it's also not desirable, as their cake will be moved to in front of them on the table after the dinner business gets cleared off. So I don't want some monumental balancing act to have to move and risk it falling..
Thank you so much in advance!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 8

SweetMelissa - that cake is gorgeous!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 8

Take a look at the wedding cake in my photos. It is on a tiered stand but very casual. There are 2 square cakes flanking the main cake and i just swirled the icing and added the lily type flowers she chose. I think the darn cow topper added to the casual effect. lol

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #8 of 8

cylstrial, I wish I could take credit for that gorgeous cake but I can't. I saw it in one of the forum's here and had to save it. Can't wait to try the style. I have another really pretty pic of a cake done in that style-it's such an elegant alternative to the funky cool style topsy turvy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%