I Am Devastated And On The Brink Of Tears!

Business By torysgirl87 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 12:45am by torysgirl87

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 49

I have been baking since I was a litte girl. Two years ago, I decided I wanted to do cakes professionally. My husband sat back to watch and see if I was for real. I took classes, bought supplies, and have been working towards becoming a professional. I contacted my county and state departments for requirements to have a home based bakery and all was go. My husband came on board fully and we've been dreaming of having this become our business together and start a family. I have fibromyalgia and want to work from home on my own time.

We are ready to build now and the contractor spoke to me about specific spacing requirements for the sinks that he couldn't remember exactly. I called only to find out that you indeed CANNOT HAVE A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN/HOME BASED BAKERY! It is not allowed. I am devastated...

I don't know what to think. I feel like my dreams have been shattered. I am numb. I am at a point where I really want to have a family, but I have health limitations and the 9 to 5 just isn't a good fit for all that I want out of my life at this point.

I spoke with a wonderful lady at the county who could tell I wanted to just burst out in tears. She said that this has always been the requirement, but she did believe that I'd received misinformation from someone at the county b/c I was not the only person calling w/ this wrong information. She gave me some pointers for proceeding but it isn't likely that I have many options other than trying to open a store front...

I AM REALLY AT A LOSS icon_cry.gif

48 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 49

I'm sorry that happened to you. Why don't you look into renting kitchen space?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 49

I'm sorry this happened to you. I always hate when I speak to one person and they give out wrong information. Did you happen to get the person's name who gave you wrong information? If you did I would call and let some one know, but be polite about it.

Is there another way to get what you need? Stay focused and strong. This is merely a small road bump in your path.

Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 49

I compleately understand. I'm from Texas where we have the same restrictions. We reciently tried to pass a bill that would allow this, but unfortunatley it did not come to pass. When I found out this information I did infact cry. We have waited so long for something to come about, and now we will have to wait another 2 years to submit for a new bill.....Talk about alot of peoples dreams of haveing a home baised business just slam into a brick wall.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 49

oohhh that is devasting {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}} my only question is if you were talking to a contractor, was this going to be separate from your house....like a free standing garage or something? If not could you do that and call it a store front? icon_rolleyes.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 49

I feel so bad for you! By the way, bursting into tears is allowed - "there is no crying in baseball" (A League of Their Own) but LOTS of crying in cake! Unfortunately, a lot of us find ourselves in similar situations. From the pros in CC it sounds like if you are limited physically in working the hours you mentioned, your own store-front biz may be unrealistic, but there are lots of folks with great ideas and generous souls here so you will receive good suggestions... big hug....

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 49

There is commercial kitchen space for rent in the metro area, but it is at best 35-45 minutes from where I live. I work full time and do a volunteer ministry, so it would be difficult. Plus, it is expensive. I've had a hard time wrapping my mind around how to profit while renting the kitchen space as well.

I am going to check my files for the name of who gave me the wrong info b/c I generally write down everything. I even had zoning personal come to my house and provide me letters approving the space and telling me what it needed to become fully licensed and I know exactly where those documents are.

I was told I could try to get the property rezoned, though it won't very likely happen. So I have requested more information on the rezoning process from the county.

I haven't told my husband yet. We decided when we got the bakery built I could quit my job and try to get pregnant. We even picked out baby names...I'm sure I will cry later.

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

oohhh that is devasting {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}} my only question is if you were talking to a contractor, was this going to be separate from your house....like a free standing garage or something? If not could you do that and call it a store front? icon_rolleyes.gif

It would've been attached b/c it requires a bathroom, but for a home business you can't have customers so no signage and no store front, which would've worked for me as I would've just delivered cakes.

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 49

So sorry for you, hopefully somebody can give you good advice on what to do next. Just dont worry and leave everything to the lord, like they say everything happens for a reason

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 49

as a business, I had to be permitted with the city. after i attained a city permit, oh yeah, and the separate phone line (everyone has to have a piece of the pie, eh) I could, if i chose to do so, advertise with signage in my yard. i chose not to because I don't want random folk approaching my door.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 49

Thank goodness you have not started building yet! That is a bright spot! I know you will find a solution to this. Pray for guidance! It will come! God has great plans for you and he will NOT let you down! You just have to figure out where He is leading you! icon_smile.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

it sounds like if you are limited physically in working the hours you mentioned, your own store-front biz may be unrealistic, but there are lots of folks with great ideas and generous souls here so you will receive good suggestions... big hug....

Thanks for the hug from you and others...I know I can't handle a store front w/ the phyiscal limitations that's why I guess I feel so bad. My husband won't agree to have a baby if the baby would have to go straight away to day care and I want to work, just at cakes. (I don't want to complain about my job, either; it is great and we are in a recession/depression so I don't want to seem ungrateful.) This seemed like a perfect solution to my dreams!

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 49

Okay this is just a hurdle that you have to jump to receive bigger and better rewards. That's how I try and look at things anyway. Are you willing to make that jump. It is so easy to say no I don't want to do this and give up. Don't do it! Keep those spirits up and try try again.
Here are a couple of ideas that might work don't know. In Missouri we can have a home based business if we have a seperate kitchen in our homes, designed just for business and must be completely seperate.(Like in the basement) If this isn't possible what about finding a mom and pop's restaurant that will let you rent the kitchen in exchange for doing their desserts and say advertising their business with yours. Keep thinking there is away, we will pray for you. Have the same thing you do fiber, heart problems, back deteriorating, diabetes, and more but I refuse to give up!! I love decorating!!!!!!

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Thank goodness you have not started building yet! That is a bright spot! I know you will find a solution to this. Pray for guidance! It will come! God has great plans for you and he will NOT let you down! You just have to figure out where He is leading you! icon_smile.gif

You are so right! My momma said to pray. I always pray for guidance. I can't figure out where I should be going right now...

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 49

I'm from Oklahoma and we can't have a home based bakery either. A friend found a catering company that was going to let me use their building rent free to get started. It is licensed by the health dept and has been in business for years. When I went to check it out, it is NASTY!!!!. I got an estimate to get it professionally cleaned and it was going to cost me $4000.00. Then it would be my responsibility to keep it clean enough to use while the catering company continues to use it. I don't understand the why home kitchens can't be licensed. I feel your pain!!!!

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohthebear

If this isn't possible what about finding a mom and pop's restaurant that will let you rent the kitchen in exchange for doing their desserts and say advertising their business with yours. Keep thinking there is away, we will pray for you. Have the same thing you do fiber, heart problems, back deteriorating, diabetes, and more but I refuse to give up!! I love decorating!!!!!!

Yes, I've considered this option. I really don't want to give up. But if I have to be at another location and I have a baby, the baby will have to go to day care at some point and this is my husband's no-no.

And I have all the same ails. Thanks for your encouragment and everyone's!!! And I love your signature! icon_smile.gif

I am starting to feel better.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #17 of 49

wait you said something about a volenteer ministry..... is it in a church???? my chuch had a seperate building where they had meetings plays bazaars,ect. ...... and it had a kitchen!!!!! could you legaly rent the kitchen from there... you could donate some cash to your church (goodthing!) and make your bussiness (good thing!) and you might even get alot of church bussiness!!!!!!

StaceySouth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceySouth Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 49

Suz3, I'm from Tulsa as well and I thought we could have home-based bakeries as long as the bakery kitchen is not in the same area as the professional kitchen area. Am I wrong? Hmmm, I suppose I should check on that. I have been baking/decorating cakes for a while now but I'm only doing it as a hobby not a business. Questions have been raised as to why I don't go into business, which has been a good thought, but I want to do it from home. Yes, okay, time to get to researching my options! thumbs_up.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissycupcakes

wait you said something about a volenteer ministry..... is it in a church???? my chuch had a seperate building where they had meetings plays bazaars,ect. ...... and it had a kitchen!!!!! could you legaly rent the kitchen from there... you could donate some cash to your church (goodthing!) and make your bussiness (good thing!) and you might even get alot of church bussiness!!!!!!

We only worship in our meeting space, so there is no fellowship hall, no kitchen. I have tried, really! icon_smile.gif I will keep trying.

StaceySouth Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #20 of 49

Suz3, I'm from Tulsa as well and I thought we could have home-based bakeries as long as the bakery kitchen is not in the same area as the professional kitchen area. Am I wrong? Hmmm, I suppose I should check on that. I have been baking/decorating cakes for a while now but I'm only doing it as a hobby not a business. Questions have been raised as to why I don't go into business, which has been a good thought, but I want to do it from home. Yes, okay, time to get to researching my options!

Allow me to correct myself - I thought we could have home-based bakeries as long as the bakery kitchen is not in the same area as the home's kitchen (the "everyday" kitchen). icon_rolleyes.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz3

I don't understand the why home kitchens can't be licensed. I feel your pain!!!!

Me either icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

EVERYONE,

Thanks for the support. I really do feel better. I'm glad I came to post here.

StaceySouth Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #22 of 49

Satan loves to destroy our best-laid plans especially when our plans will benefit other's in a good way. Consider this only a road block that Satan has laid and stay determined to smash right through it and continue with your plans. There is a way, if it's in God's will, and I'm sure you know that without me saying it. But I do know how upsetting and devastating something like this is when you have your heart set on it. Just PUSH - Pray Until Something Happens!!!!!

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #23 of 49

Thanks Stacey. I know you are right and I will definitely take your advice and continue to pray on the matter w/ DH once I tell him. I'm at work now and if I call to tell him I'm sure I will start to cry.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

My husband won't agree to have a baby if the baby would have to go straight away to day care and I want to work, just at cakes.

Being a mum at home is a full time job 24/7, and it is very difficult not to mention stressful when the child is sick, not sleeping. etc.

It can be a shock at how much work being a parent is. Perhaps it is best to have your baby first and see how you manage all the balls in the air, before starting a new business.

Best of luck, with your situation.

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

Quote:
Quote:

My husband won't agree to have a baby if the baby would have to go straight away to day care and I want to work, just at cakes.

Being a mum at home is a full time job 24/7, and it is very difficult not to mention stressful when the child is sick, not sleeping. etc.

It can be a shock at how much work being a parent is. Perhaps it is best to have your baby first and see how you manage all the balls in the air, before starting a new business.

Best of luck, with your situation.

Thanks. I believe you. My mother and mother-in-law both raised 3 kids and worked full time. I always thought I could too. But neither of them have or had health limitations like me. I was diagnosed w/ fibromyalgia the month before my husband proposed, though I guess I'd had it since I was about 17 and didn't quite know what was wrong.

I honestly don't know what I can handle by means of raising a kid. I thought it would be better to do the bakery first b/c if I wanted to give it up or ease up w/ it, I could do so, whereas having a child, those options aren't available. I've wanted to bake cakes much more and much longer than I've wanted to become a parent too. I need some direction I suppose, and I'm sure God is trying to show me they way to go. I'm just not sure which road to take at this point.

sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 49

When I had a little one I worked the hours I wanted to for a local cake shop. I was able to take my baby who slept and then when they grew older they were able to play in a small room while I worked.

There is another topic on the forum at the moment where a decorator has found out she can only use store bought cakes to decorate.

Perhaps you could do this while you get established. WHere I am many of the high end boutique cake shops charge thousands for cakes that are not made by them. They just decorate them. They also buy all their sugar flowers from poorer countries!

Is this an option for you for the short term? It really sucks what has happened to you and I am giving you a big hug right now, I hope you can feel it!

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #27 of 49

Sara91, thanks SO MUCH for the hug! I can feel it! *squeeze*

I will look into your suggested options. I haven't heard of that before. I was told that you cannot have any food based business at home, but I didn't raise this question. I've raised many others!

sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #28 of 49

I am sure you will make a great mother. I am sorry for the hurdles that have been put in your way.

sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #29 of 49

this is the topic before it turned into a scratch versus box debate. Very entertaining and never ending!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632991-.html

Perhaps you can PM her and she may be able to offer some advice?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #30 of 49

I hope you find out who gave you the bogus info.

In the meantime, maybe you could make dummy cakes and rent them out? Or offer classes to people?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%