Stacking Questions

Decorating By luv2bak4myboys Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm by leah_s

luv2bak4myboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bak4myboys Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 16

I'm doing a three tier buttercream cake and wanted to get feedback on the best stacking method. Should I stack after icing the cakes or before?

Thanks!

15 replies
blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 16

I ice all my cakes before I stack them. I also stack my cakes one on top of each other with dowel rods under each layer and a traveling rod through the center.

CakeVision Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeVision Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 16

I stack after icing the cakes. If using crusting buttercream, let crust well before stacking and "disassembly" later is easy. Once cakes stacked, then I do final touches. HTH

Liz

luv2bak4myboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bak4myboys Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 16

I dowel also, but don't usually get requests for stacked cakes in buttercream. They typically want fondant for stacked cakes. Thanks for the advice!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 16

I've never met anyone who stacked first and then ice. I would suggest you

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:45am
post #6 of 16

I heard once of someone who stacked and then iced. I have no idea how that would work.

Of course, the best stacking system is SPS. Get rid of those dowels!!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 16

Since my question falls under this thread, I will just add to it. What is the best way to pick up and place a buttercream cake on top of another one? I have done it several times, but everytime I can't get the cake off of the turntable and then I completely destroy the bottom half of my cake. Advice?

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 16

What is SPS?
I just did a three tiered stacking cake. I did the buttercream crumb coating, and them stacked, and THEN piped buttercream on. I couldn't think of any other way!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

Since my question falls under this thread, I will just add to it. What is the best way to pick up and place a buttercream cake on top of another one? I have done it several times, but everytime I can't get the cake off of the turntable and then I completely destroy the bottom half of my cake. Advice?

I don't know if others do this, but for my fondant cakes (it would work for buttercream too) I use bubble tea straws (it would also work with dowels)
I put one straw in the cake to mark how long to cut them, then I cut the rest using that one, then I insert them leaving about an inch and a half-2 inches sticking up out of the cake, then lift the top tier using an offset spatula, keeping my fingers only on the bottom of the cake board the top tier is on, then place the cake on the straws and slide the spatula out.
The weight of the cake should push the straws or dowels down and you shouldn't have any finger prints on your cake.
if it doesn't go all the way down, I just push down gently and it goes. As long as you are using crusting buttercream or fondant it shouldn't leave any marks, but if it does you can smooth it back out.

I try to make sure it's centered so I don't have to move it, but if I do, I just slide the spatula under and move it with that. Also, I put a small glob of buttercream in the middle of the bottom tier to hold the top tier in place. If you need to put one long dowel through you can do that too. HTH.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 16

I actually don't have a problem with the "bottom" cake. The cake I am trying to place on top is the one I have issues with. I can never get the spatula under the cake board enough to get my fingers under it, and not feel like I am going to dump it on it's side. I feel like I need 4 arms.

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 16

Actually with SPS you SLIDE the upper tiers into place. Seriously. Easy. Look at the pictures in the sticky at the top of this Forum.

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #12 of 16

I'm going to add a question to this topic too.... I'm making a 2 tier cake that is going to go on a 2 hour drive to its destination and i need to send it off already assembled! whats the best way to stack thats going to make it AS STURDY AS POSSIBLE?!?! i've never really used anything other than dowels but is that going to be sturdy enough??? btw its all bc.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 16

Angela93, I sent two two-tier cakes on 4-5 hr drives with just dowels. I just double-stake them and make sure the dowel goes into the cake board.

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 16

pinkpiggie78- important question.... what did you use to cary the cake in???? i was thinking of making a homemade box! does anyone else do that? i've done it a couple times before. i just hate how they offer so many different shaped pans, but only a few different size boards and boxes!!! and why do they only offer them 4-6 in high?!?!?!? so annoying!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 16

I have used bankers boxes that you can pick up at staples, office max, etc.

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 16

I do not box for transport.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%