Yikes, I Used Salted Butter In Smbc

Decorating By sillyjodes Updated 29 May 2009 , 6:59am by sillyjodes

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 24

Is there any saving this batch? I accidentally grabbed the salted butter. It tastes like it would be good on popcorn. icon_wink.gif I was wondering if caramel would make it taste like butterscotch? Help!

23 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 24

I use salted butter for everything, so I don't see why you'll have a problem. It doesn't taste salty.

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 24

I also use salted butter in everything. I think it counteracts with the sweetness to give it balance.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 24

add some more vanilla and let it cool before tasting again and taste it on cake...repeated this from another thread I can't find now. HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 24

I'm not sure, haven't made that mistake before, but Sadsmile I think is right.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 24

Ooooh... in SMBC salted butter is a HUGE mistake. It's not the same as using salted butter in a powdered sugar based icing at all.

I have heard that people have had luck making it chocolate.. I also think an unsalted peanut butter would be a great option to add in as well.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 24

Oh. Peanut butter SMBC....hmmmmm. Sounds yummy!

Actually, now that I think of it, doesn't the salt in the butter actually cause the structure of the SMBC to change? Maybe I am "fake" remembering something.

sillyjodes Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 24

ok, it's "chillin" in the fridge. I'll play around with some additions this evening, when I have more time. PB sounds so yummy, but I just used the last for lunch. Nutella? I may have some almond butter around here too, but that's not too smooth. However, I'm taking my daughter to ballet later, so I can stop at the store if plain PB is the consensus.
Thanks guys!

FromScratch Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 24

Nope... PB SMBC is to die for and I make it all the time. No change in the structure at all.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 24

Let us know how it works out. I have a batch of it in my fridge that I screwed up with salted butter too. It just tasted like butter....really strong butter...ewww.....hopefully it can be saved.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 24

Don't worry about it...... I can't remember when I have used unsalted butter in ANYTHING.......

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 24

Salted butter has 2,880 grams of sodium, per pound of butter. There's is approx. 1120grams of sodium, per teaspoon of salt. So that's like putting 2 1/2 tsp of salt in your SMBC, for every pound of butter....I think.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 24

Yeah that sounds like a ton of salt by those calculations. That's ok for BC but they say that's too much for SMBC. Butter does tend to amplify saltiness. But still I would taste it on cake once cooled cause everyone's tatses are different. And the Peanut Butter thing sounds to die for and salt enhances peanut butter but- it would be a good idea to buy salt free peanut butter wouldn't it???

tinygoose Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 24

I usually put a tiny pinch of salt in my SMBC since salt is a preservative, and you only need a little tiny pinch to preserve butter.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 24

how about making another batch (or two) with unsalted butter and then combining them? you can freeze the extra buttercream for later use.

FromScratch Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #16 of 24

Honestly... even 1/2 unsalted and 1/2 salted is enough to make it taste like a stick of butter, and even on cake it's quite potent. When you make a PS based buttercream you are adding a LOT more sugar per pound of butter than you would with SMBC so a PS based BC can handle the salted butter. For a batch of SMBC to cover an 8" cake there is only 1 cup of sugar where as in a PS BC there would be 2 lbs (4 cups) of powdered sugar. You need a little salt in a PS based BC to cut that sugar.

When you make SMBC wits sweet butter it tastes like vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #17 of 24

so (sadsmile) what your saying is the batch is a waste?? I cant believe I just did the same thing... (someone picked the butter up for me and i didnt even think to look and only realized the mistake when i tasted it) There has to be something that can be doen to save almost a dozen eggs, sugar butter and time....

tinygoose Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #18 of 24

I also think it would be too salty for a cake, but hey....add some honey to it?? pack it up give some to your friends....call it scone spread....it might be wonderful on toast, muffins, pancakes!!!!! You may have just invented something there!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #19 of 24

its for a cake due sat am... i really dont have the time to remake esp when i am supposed to start frosting/filling now kwim?

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #20 of 24

i never tried it before, but what about gradually adding sifted powdered sugar to cut the saltiness?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #21 of 24

Yep, its probably a lost cause. You can use it stretched in unsalted stuff as a pp suggested, but not nearly 1/2 and 1/2... maybe 1/8?

And when I have added powdered sugar to smbc, it makes it soupy. counter intuitive, but that's what happens.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #22 of 24

add melted chocolate to it. i saved my salted butter SMBC fiasco with that. it just doesn't look very dark brown. but it works. when i need chocolate SMBC i just used salted butter, it's cheaper. hehe

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:15am
post #23 of 24

I've done this before. I rectified it by putting some melted chocolate, some kahlua and a bit of very strong coffee in the icing. It actually turned out pretty good.

sillyjodes Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:59am
post #24 of 24

Ok, it's still in the fridge. I couldn't get to it tonight, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow. I don't have PB, so I could get some tomorrow. I have some chocolate, but I'm not sure if I have enough. I'll have to check in the morning.
I love the "scone spread" idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%