? Freeze Graduation Cookies

Baking By auntbeesbaking Updated 30 May 2009 , 11:19am by linedancer

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 11

I would like people's advise please. I have 3 graduation parties to do cakes and cookies for - 2 next weekend (June 6th) and my son's the following weekend (June 13th). I'm trying to figure out how to get ahead of the game a little since I'm also still subbing. I would be grateful for any advise.

I want to do rollout sugar cookies (caps and diplomas) and then fondant them. Can I freeze fondant covered cookkies? I have never frozen fondant covered cookies and am not sure how I would package them - in covered containers, individually....? Does the frozen fondant "stick?" Should I use Toby's glace instead? (I have yet to try the glace). Do I freeze the cookies and just fondant them when they thaw? (I tried for the first time putting the fondant on cookies when they came out of the oven and it was SO much easier!) If I do freeze them fondant covered, how much time do they need to thaw? Does the fondant get "dewy" when thawing? I've used Michele's fondant and really like it. We don't care for the crunchy RI which I know you can use several weeks in advance without an issue.

Thank you friends for any help you can give me! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have any experience with fondant, but I know many decorators freeze fondant covered cookies with great success. I would be cautious about freezing a cookie with Toba's, as the icing really doesn't like to get cold. Adding brite white helps, but I'd hate for you to decorate a whole bunch of cookies and have the icing get all cloudy and spotty. Now, freezing naked cookies works like a dream!

auntbeesbaking Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 11

thank you for replying, Susan.

May I ask what Brite White is? I've heard of it in passing but never took the time to find out about it.

I did think about freezing "naked cookies", I just didn't know if it was worth it.

Do you like Toby's glace better than fondant? To "spread" it, do you use a thin paintbrush?

May I ask how far ahead you've done cookies without freeazing them, what you used (fondant, glace, etc.) and how you stored them?

Thanks my friend!

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 11

I was just getting ready to post a forum question about this. I just made 100 NFSC for an order that I thought was due tomorrow, but NOOOO, I got mixed up and they are not due until NEXT Friday. What do I do? Can I freeze them and then frost them in RI after they thaw, do I throw them away??? AGHHHHH! I am so frustrated with my self. It is my first paid order and of course I mess it up.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #5 of 11

I know for sure that you can freeze "naked" sugar cookies. I have done it many times before and IMHO, they taste just as good...at least with the NFSC. I have also read on here before that other people have successfully frozen and thawed NFSC decorated with royal icing too.

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 11

Missy,

Will you let me know what you did and how it turned out?
Good Luck!

GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:51am
post #7 of 11

Brite white is just food coloring. I can only vouch for the Americolor brand, though Wilton also makes a white-white. Since adding it to my icing, I've never had a problem with the icing getting cloudy or spotty. I can't compare the glace to fondant, as I've never done fondant. It seems like most of the cookies I'm interested in doing lately have a lot of detail work that I think would be difficult to do with fondant. There are many talented cookie decorators using fondant, and I love the look they can get with it. I'm comfortable with glace, so that's what I use. I use a tapered offset spatula to smooth out the icing.

I've started decorating as early as Tuesday night for cookies being picked up Saturday morning. I can only decorate at night, and when they want 25 of my 3D cookies, I need all the time I can get! Basically, I don't think you can tell a difference in freshness until after the fifth day. Then, I can start to tell...though I've still eaten them days after that fifth day!

Missy, DON"T throw the cookies out! Place them in either ziplock freezer bags or plastic containers and put them in the freezer. They keep for months this way.

missyd4e Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 11

GeminiRJ,
I have about 15 NFSC that I have already iced with RI. Can I freeze those too or should I just give them to my family to eat? I know they won't mind. icon_lol.gif
Thank you so much for everyone's help!!!! I was freaking out big time.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyd4e

GeminiRJ,
I have about 15 NFSC that I have already iced with RI. Can I freeze those too or should I just give them to my family to eat? I know they won't mind. icon_lol.gif
Thank you so much for everyone's help!!!! I was freaking out big time.

From what I've read from those who decorate with RI, you can easily freeze them.

missyd4e Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 11

GeminiRJ,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out and to share your knowledge!!!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:19am
post #11 of 11

I freeze fondant covered cookies all the time. If they are bagged, just layer them in an airtight container and freeze. If they are not bagged, layer them between wax paper, put in airtight container and freeze. I personally have frozen them for three weeks. They are just as nice when you take them out of the freezer as when you put them in.

To defrost, just set them on the counter, still in the container and let thaw. Freezing seems to do them no harm. They also travel well after being frozen. Have made the cookies in MI and had the party in FL. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%