Cricut For Stencils?????

Baking By umgrzfn Updated 29 May 2009 , 1:46am by umgrzfn

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 16

There is someone on here that makes stencils with her cricut and then air brushes them on. I NEED TO FIND THIS PERSON....PLEASE!!!!! I would absolutely love to know how to do this! I've never thought of using my cricut for this but, hey, it's an expensive machine so the more uses the better!! icon_wink.gif If anyone knows this person, please let me know!!
Thank you!!

15 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #2 of 16

Sorry but I don't know the person.

I dont think it would be hard. Just place the stencil on top and then use your airbrush.

Good luck.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 16

Hey Rylan, I just sent you a PM. Yeah, that's what I was thinkn', I will need to learn how to airbrush. I want so many things...new mixer...new kitchen...more money....an airbrush icon_wink.gif I love the airbrush look. I'm so excited to talk hubby into getting me one and trying it. I talked a person whose friend does images by her cricut. She gave me a good idea. I just never thought about using my cricut for stencils! AMAZING what a person will learn on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:35am
post #4 of 16

I recently purchased a Cuttlebug (hand crank die cutter) - and love it for my card making projects. I was thinking that I could also use it for rice paper . . . but rice paper is pretty fragile and might crack.

I'm working on stuff for my son's graduation open house, so don't have much time to play with the Cuttlebug right now. I'll have to try it and let you know how it works out.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #5 of 16

Please do Jocmom. I would be very interested in knowing how it works!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #6 of 16

I got you. I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it actually went in since I pressed the send button twice

Oh and this hobby does get really expensive. My mixer broke and I would need a new one. I would love to have an airbrush machine too. Theres just so many things I want.... hopefully you get yours soon. Let me know when you get it done =]

Btw, that smile is there because of you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 16

That's a really good idea! I never thought about using a cricut to create a special cookie. Thanks for sharing!

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 16

What's is a Cricut? I went on their website... you can make any stencil? is it plastic?

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 16

The cricut is AMAZING! You can cut just about anything with it (I have the expressions, not sure about the other ones) including cutting things like chipboard. I never thought about making stencils with it, but from talking to a few people, yes, you can buy plastic sheets specifically for things like stencils.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 16

There was a discussion a while back about using the cricut for stencils. It really is a good idea. I ordered one and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 16

I use my "Pazzles" cutter (same concept as the Cricut but you hook it up to computer and can cut any image or font not just the ones you have a cartridge for)...anyway I use clear transparancies like for the overhead projector, I cut out a stencil and then airbrush the image. One of the nicest things is I can toss that stencil and just re-cut another if I want to - I don't have to save tons of stencils!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 16

Where do you get the transparencies?

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 16

I'm not sure if Walmart would have them in the office supplies but it's worth a try....I got mine from Office Max or Office Depot.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #14 of 16

I have used my cricut to make stencils, not to air brush with. The last on I did I laminated it so I can reuse it. I used card stock paper.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #15 of 16

And I knew the cricut would be great for cakes...I agree with everyone else on the expense of all of the supplies and stuff. It's kinda addicting too...buying new cake toys. I just got an airbrush...still haven't used it yet and I bet the cricut would be GREAT for stencils. Please let us know how it works out.

umgrzfn Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #16 of 16

Great idea with the cardstock and laminating! You can buy the transperancies at walmart. That's actually where I got mine (obviously not for use with the cricit since I didn't even think about it! icon_wink.gif ) Cardstock is a great idea as well and probably less expensive even though you would have to buy the laminating sheets! Thanks for all the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%