I Can't Believe.....

Decorating By julia77 Updated 29 May 2009 , 2:02am by umgrzfn

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #31 of 39

My nephew is 29. He drives a truck for a living, an 18 wheeler. He has a sweet wife, four beautiful boys and another boy bun in the oven.

When they started out they bought this cute little box-y house and outgrew it asap. The house next door became available but the lady had had many cats and the house was incredibly undesirable. He bought it for a song, gutted it--he added an addition--it should be just about ready when jr number five arrives in a few more weeks.

His Dad calls him "the land barron'. icon_biggrin.gif

My daughter's got a year to go on her second master's degree.

My son is going back to school to study the medical aspect of food, diet etc. He's already a chef.

But all that to say, a Boomer not wanting to be called Granny is ego not entitlement.

icon_biggrin.gif

Me, my ego could handle being called Grandma!!!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #32 of 39

I have two grown kids, 22 and 26, they are pretty responsible, although it was a hard lesson for my youngest.
I did have a friend tell me once that it's a form of child abuse to NOT teach your children financial responsibility - wow! That opened my eyes big time. It's just not fair to them to try to pay their way and spoil them, it is a huge dis-service to them, their spouses and the rest of the world- lol!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #33 of 39

Well, I totally got off on that tangent!! What I really wanted to say was I have a friend who caters. She constantly has people who want a fancy catered affair....for $5 a person (oh, please!) my advice to her is to tell the people to give each guest $5 to go through Micky D's drive thru and they'll get a pretty sweet deal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

Well, I totally got off on that tangent!! What I really wanted to say was I have a friend who caters. She constantly has people who want a fancy catered affair....for $5 a person (oh, please!) my advice to her is to tell the people to give each guest $5 to go through Micky D's drive thru and they'll get a pretty sweet deal.

I hear ya!! Had one bride who had a budget of $500 for 250 people! I told her "Honey, that's not even enough for a Happy Meal for everyone!" At first I said, "Only $2.50???" She said, "No, I have $500." dunce.gif I said, "Honey .... $500, when spread out over 200 people comes out to two dollar and fifty cents per person."

Hep me, RHonda!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

But all that to say, a Boomer not wanting to be called Granny is ego not entitlement.

Very Happy

Me, my ego could handle being called Grandma!!!

K8, you're a woman after my own heart. When I had my daughter, my mom didn't want to be called Grandma, or Baci (Polish for Grandma), she insisted that she be called Nani (the ego thing).

Me, I was honored when I received the Grandma title and glow each time one of my grandchildren called me that. I was a grandma at 39 and very proud of it. Now, at 50, I am grandma to two girls 11 and 2, one boy 4, and one on the way in November.

Being a Grandma is so much fun! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #36 of 39

Where's my "Proud to be a Gramma!" shirt!

And what's the difference in what they call you? If it MEANS gramma, then you're being called gramma! Mine call me Banna .... that's kid kode for "gramma!"

When I hear some b*tchy "oh I'm going to look young and beautiful forEVER" chic make the stupid statement of "I'm too young to be a gramma!", then I fold my arms, look her directly in the face and tell her, "Then you shouldn't have screwed around and had kids as a teenager, then!"

I HATE that attitude! Gives us gray-hairs a bad name! icon_razz.gif

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #37 of 39

Wow the stories just keep coming. I'm in the 20/30's generation, and while I do agree mine is the generation of greed and entitlement, I just cannot imagine asking a stranger to give me something for nothing, ESPECIALLY when it involves as much work as a wedding cake does! icon_eek.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #38 of 39

I am 31 and have never felt entitled to anything I didn't bust my a$$ for. Now, my kids on the other hand, I think, well I know I'm probably ruining them. I always said that because my mom was single and we had very very little...I would give my kids the world. So far I have pretty much lived up to that. Now, I have four girls...the two oldest 10 and 6 are by far THE most spoiled rotten, insensitive, selfish little girls I've ever seen...love em' to death but hey...I did this. Now I'm older and more aware that I can't relive my childhood through them and am not doing them any good by handing them everything on a platter. My 10 year old still doesn't know how to make a bed or anything like that. Mommy does it ALL.
It's not MY generation that I'm most concerned about...we're basically done....it's my girls generation...boy oh boy, what will the future look like with millions of little Mitchalah's running around (my oldest daughter)

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I'm in an odd position myself, because due to some very unfortunate circumstances (my father passed away a few years ago under circumstances that were deemed to be the military's fault) I have come into some money. My finance and I have invested in some real estate (he had already had some before we meet) and we are fortunate enough to be gaining some income by renting out our places. Sounds like a dream eh? That's what most of my friend figure when they first hear my story lol. Then they get to know me and find out that I spend almost every weekend (and some evenings) renovating, covered in plaster, paint or some other construction stuff. The majority of our extra income goes right back into the building (we purchased a VERY VERY badly taken care of garage/apartment building).

Sorry to hear about your dad, and you are so young to have to deal with such a situation! KUDOS to you!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif I certainly hope that some day your friends will look up to you and will wish they would have been as responsible as you! It sounds like you are just the type of person I was trying to find when i said when did it become about the material things and not about the bride and groom. We all need to appreciate what we have in life and not take anything for granted!!! There's a reason why my quote is what it is. Hope Love Laugh. Live for today, you never know what tomorrow might bring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each breath we take is sooo very precious! Thank you for being the kind of bride that has put things into perspective and don't HAVE TO HAVE all the material BS!!!!!!

mysweetconfetions, what a wonderful mom you are and how wonderful are those kids?!!! That's just out right AWESOME!!! Life is not about the wants! Everyone WANTS things, it's all a matter of how we obtain them. Great comment btw

Quote:
Quote:

good kids that know that nothing in life is free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%