How Do I Achieve This...

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 27 May 2009 , 11:13pm by poohsmomma

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 55

I need some help, I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I'm sure some of you can give me a better way to do this because I think at this point I'm overthinking it.

I need to find a way to write "Congratulations" about 3" tall on the second tier of a graduation cake. I've been scouring the 'net trying to find a stencil or impression that will do it, but haven't been successful. I also tried to find stencils at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but they were either too small (1") or too big (5").

I suck at piping on the sides of cakes, but I'm willing to try it if someone can give me tips on avoiding that crazy, random straight line where a curve is supposed to be.

ETA: Sketch
LL

54 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 55

I don't know how big your tier is going to be....but in the Wilton 101 cookie cutter kit there are letters that are pretty big sized. In my photos there is a recent Strawberry shortcake pic where I used cookies...but also the bar mitzvah cake has three fondant letters on the top globe that I used the Wilton cookie cutter letters for.

See if you think the rounded, larger letters would work for your cake....the word might take up quite a bit of room though!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 55

type it out in a word documant, and print (bigger font to get it to that size). then you could pipe over it, or if you can imprint it on the side, like with pins i think, pipe right on the cake. hope that helps!
xx

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 55

I would simply print the wording I want in the font that I want . Then I would fix it to be the size that I would need and then print it and then lean it lightly on the side of the cake and just prick it onto the side of the cake and then trace it with frosting or you could pin prick it on a piece of fondant and cut it out and then place it on the side of your cake.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 55

how about typing it on the computer in the size you want, print it out, then put it on cake side and either trace with sharp instrument so it leaves the impression or use the pin method where you poke pin holes over the words, remove the paper and pipe on the impressed words you left behind. HTH

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 55

Do you think the paper (pin prick) method would work on BC without messing up the look? I'm okay with the wording wrapping all around the cake, the only stipulation the woman put was she didn't want the wording to look juvenile, she wants it to be elegant and "mature"

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 55

Using the computer method of finding a font and enlarging it to the size you want, proceed with printing it... then lay it under waxed or parchment paper and proceed to outline then fill in with royal icing. Allow it to dry/harden overnight, peel off backing and apply to cake. This method is almost fail proof other than the potential for breakage... in that case make multiples so you have backup!

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 55

Win, I thought of doing that but I was concerned that with the curve of the round cake, the letters wouldn't sit right up against the surface of the BC without breaking, is that not an issue?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 55

These are all great suggestions, but here's another one from someone who is piping-impaired. I recently wanted to write on the side of a cake, so I rolled out some little fondant "snakes" the thickness I wanted the lettering. I made the letters by forming the fondant, so I had total control over the size, the evenness, the kind of writing (printing or script) and every little thing. When I put them on the side of the cake (with a little edible glue), they stuck beautifully and I was thrilled. Here's a photo of my handiwork -- of course, you could have the letters contrast a bit more with the background and I definitely need a new camera. HTH
LL

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 55

The curve of the cake will be a problem if you do the royal icing method...although, it IS the easiest! Is there any way to make the centre tier square?
Another thought is to do a frozen buttercream transfer of the word.

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 55

I'm not sure if I could do the tier square. She's kind of "set in her ways" cake wise.

Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 55

I thought your tier looked square... icon_redface.gif I see now it is a round. No prob! Tape the entire project to the side of a cake pan for the curve. It will work just the same!

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 55

What if you make a fondant plaque, I do this all the time! Cut out a shape that you want, making the fondant a little think but not so much that it is going to fall off the side. Then print out your wording, with a veiner tool trace over the wording onto the fondant or gumpaste. Next either use gel color thinned with a little vodka or clear extract and paint over the impression or use the food markers. Then adhere to the cake. Hope that helps!

Chris

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 55

How about doing it in an edible image?
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 55

I feel like a loser, I don't have an EI printer and for this same cake I tried looking for a store that will print off the scrolls and no one does it.

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 55

Okay, here's another idea I was toying with (although the computer paper deal and the RI thing sound doable), I use my claygun to get a thin string of fondant in a flat ribbon and form the letters on the side of the cake attaching it with RI or gum glue. I was also wondering if anyone knows of a technique that uses gelatin or something flexible that I can form the letters and transfer them onto the side.

Would anyone just pipe the letters straight on with RI? I have to paint them gold (Aztec) too. If so, someone give me tips as to why my icing always falls off or doesn't lay right on the side like the beautiful scrolls I see on here.

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 55

Thank goodness! I just got off the phone with her. She says she'd like to have it covered in fondant. Does that change anything?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #18 of 55

Tita for the future... inventing a wheel in exactly what you need to do!
Cut a strip of posterboard that you can tape around to match your cakes size. Stuff it with cake boards to make it hold its shape. Then get a large pot or something that it will stand up in. Brace it on bothe sides so it doean't fall over tape on some wax paper and and pipe away with RI. Let it dry and stick it on the cake. That way it will match the curve in your cake and youcan do it ahead of time until your hearts content. I use this method for making the plaque on my last cake and I think it would work with RI as long as you are careful. Make extra for accidents. icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #20 of 55

Sadsmile: the cake isn't until the 13th so I still have time to try that out, thank yoU!

Sugarfrosted: I don't know if that will be tall enough, but I'm going to buy one just in case (can't hurt to have it on hand, right?).

Thanks so much, as always, I know where to turn when I'm stumped.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #21 of 55

So - I have 2 ideas....

(1)This may be completely out of the question....but I just made a cake with the birthday girls' name in cut out cookies. Cut out cookies can be decorated in a variety of styles. If you use a recipe that does not spread, you'll have very precise and sturdy letters. You could cover in fondant that has been imprinted, or you could hand paint them/airbrush, or just pour/pipe with complimentary colors in RI.

I'm a newbie but I'm sure there are many ways to attach the cookies cleanly, so as to not take away from the look of the cake. Cookie thickness would be crucial for weight I'm sure. The only issue with that is of course...the style of font you're looking for. You could always print out the size font you want in the style you want. Section it off in pieces or individual letters so you have complete control over wrapping it around the tier. But, the more "swirly" the more difficult it would be to cover in fondant. But, RI might work just fine.

(2) Do you have an airbrush? Why not make your own stencil? Might take some time..but if you get a craft exacto knife...and print out the right size on your printer as described in other posts and just go to town. They sell the materials at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Pat Catans....

I hope it works out for you!!!

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #22 of 55

EvMarie: Newbie or not, you have some great ideas. I like the stencil idea as the cookie one seems like it'll be too expensive. Thanks for your advice! And welcome to Cakecentral!

Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Thank goodness! I just got off the phone with her. She says she'd like to have it covered in fondant. Does that change anything?

Well, now it's easier to use the pin prick method...

You also asked about the painting of the letters which is why I prefer to do them separately and apply them to the sides of the cake and then touch up where needed. I just don't have a steady enough hand to paint them directly upon the cake... always have a smudge onto the fondant and that drives me nuts.

Sadsmile's technique is basically the same thing I described, but a little more involved than simply using the side of a cake pan to pipe upon. Simply tape your pattern, cover in wax paper and then pipe away. I do it like that whenever I need a curve.

And to elaborate on this idea from Evmarie:

Quote:
Quote:

2) Do you have an airbrush? Why not make your own stencil? Might take some time..but if you get a craft exacto knife...and print out the right size on your printer as described in other posts and just go to town. They sell the materials at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Pat Catans....

You don't even have to use an airbrush... stencil directly onto the cake with RI if you make your own. Then you go back and paint over the letters with the Aztec Gold. Great idea from EvMarie; however. There is a whole tutorial on stenciling onto a cake on the home page in "Articles."

EvMarie Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #24 of 55

Thanks for the Welcome!

Who needs school...I'm overwhelmed with great info on this site. I'm glad I could provide a springboard for a better idea....via Win!

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #25 of 55

What do you make the stencil out of?

EvMarie Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #26 of 55

In my local Hobby Lobby, there was a whole section of different types and sizes of letters, numbers, themed objects that were all ready to buy. Right next to it, I found these packets of clear sort of thin plastic that said..."make your own" stencil. You'd buy one of those really sharp craft knives. Those knives were in the stencil section as well as a section with different edged scissors and glues...probably for scrapbooking. The knife has a real precise tip and comes with a replacement blade.

I think several sheets of plastic and the knife would be around $6-$10 max.

icon_smile.gif

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #27 of 55

I think you can get the plastic to make a stencil at the craft stores. But I used a regular stencil - for paint, on one of my last cakes and it worked great. So you could use a regular stencil.

And isn't there a recipe for flexible RI? I think you add corn syrup? I really want to try this. If I can find the recipe, I think it's here somewhere.

Good luck!
Melissa

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #28 of 55

Cool beans, thank EvMarie

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #29 of 55

Do you Know anyone with a Cricut? You could use that to make the stencil and it would be able to cut it the actual size that you need! I dont know if that will help

Tita9499 Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #30 of 55

You know what, Cavette, I've seen those Cricut dealies at Michael's and always wondered about them. The only scrapbooker I know lives in Germany. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%