Best Nonstick Mat For Rolled Fondant

Decorating By kimmisue2009 Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 9:45am by ApplegumPam

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 33

Maybe I am just not smart enough to find it, but if there is a post discussing the best nonstick mats, it eludes me. I live in a very humid part of the states and my fondant sticks to every surface I try. I have found an Ateco mat, as well as a couple of others, but would love some feedback on which ones are really worth it. Thanks in advance!!!

32 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 33

At the suggestion of someone here on CC, I bought a couple of yards of clear vinyl. It is sold in the fabric department at Walmart on huge rolls. I had bought some earlier in the year just to protect my tablecloth but never thought about using it as a non-stick surface. Works great.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 33

Hi, since I do my fondant creating at work (on the sly of course) I simply use heavy duty aluminum foil with a crisco film on it. No problems what so ever. HTH

kimmisue2009 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 33

Thank you both so much. My husband's suggestion was to google it, find the most expensive mat and buy that one. This is the TOTAL OPPOSITE of how I think and I knew there would be wisdom out here. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 33

I ditto the WalMart vinyl... I have a huge sheet, it's about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long, I paid something like $2.50/yd for it... love it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 33

I use the vinyl too. I used to have two silicone mats that I used for small detail work, but fondant sticks to silicone and not to vinyl, so I cut a piece of vinyl the exact size of my kitchen counter and I use that. The vinyl I bought at Walmart was too thin, so I bought some a little thicker at Hobby Lobby and that works great.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 33

I bought the large blue ATECO mat after borrowing it at a fondant class I took and I fell in love with it! I had to have one! Fondant rolled out like a dream and the thing I loved the most was that due to its flexibility, I could just turn the mat over on my cake to place my fondant. No more tears! If you google, you can find it fairly cheap. I think I paid 28 dollars for it. Best of luck and HTH!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 33

My WalMart had many different thicknesses on upholstery rolls.... I think I chose the 3rd one down (thinnest being the first one on the rack). I also cut to the size of my counter and I lay that awful Wilton 'you'll never find a way to get it to lay flat' fondant mat under it and it's awesome for measuring now!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 33

I LOVE my Ateco mat. Wouldn't use anything else.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 33

My question is this, I had the wilton mat to roll on and of course I wasn't thinking but I cut my fondant on it after I rolled it out. I put cut marks on the mat. Can you cut on the vinyl mat? I do this at home and don't have a lot of surface to work with. Hope this makes sense, my allergies are killing me and I can't put my thoughts together!!lol

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

...and I lay that awful Wilton 'you'll never find a way to get it to lay flat' fondant mat under it and it's awesome for measuring now!

I do that, also. I got the medium thickness of vinyl from Hobby Lobby. I also cut some smaller pieces for when I'm working with small amounts of fondant or gumpaste for details or figures and don't need the large vinyl sheet.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 282513

My question is this, I had the wilton mat to roll on and of course I wasn't thinking but I cut my fondant on it after I rolled it out. I put cut marks on the mat. Can you cut on the vinyl mat? I do this at home and don't have a lot of surface to work with. Hope this makes sense, my allergies are killing me and I can't put my thoughts together!!lol

You can, but just don't press too hard when cutting. The first time I used my pastry cutter, I did cut through the vinyl. It was my first time working with fondant and then I realized I really didn't need to cut that hard, anyway. Good luck!

kimmisue2009 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 33

Y'all are too too great! There's still a ball of yellow fondant stuck to my wall as a reminder to start asking questions and stop assuming I know - 'cause I don't!!! Things look so easy, but all the tutorials in the world don't necessarily help out with the "obvious" stuff!! Thanks again!

SHogg Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 33

I had used my Ateco mat for years with no cuts, that was until I got the Wilton double pastry wheel. It's so sharp it cut right thru my mat.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 33

Is the Ateco mat a neutral color with blue borders and measuring lines? I found one stuck in my "tall things" box. icon_smile.gif I do NOT remember buying it, but it is 24x36" and I'm wondering if this is what you folks use. One of these days I am going to start doing fondant cakes ...

SHogg Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 33

mbt4955 that's exactly what I have, looks exactly like that. I don't think they make that one anymore. I wanted to get a new one but all I've found is the solid blue one.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 33

I've seen the blue one on cake challenges and never dreamed I had one. I'm excited now and ready to try fondant. icon_smile.gif

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #18 of 33

I know that Decopac sells the light mat with the blue edges. Problem is you have to have a business I.D. to order through them.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #19 of 33

got my all blue, fantastic Ateco mat from webrestaurantstore . com

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #20 of 33

The vinyl from Walmart has been great for me. I can pick it up and put the fondant on my cake effortlessly! Even 14" wedding cake layers. I use the Wilton wheel under it and since it's so cheap I just cut what I need and have pieces for all the work areas so clean up is quick, just a great find!

kimmisue2009 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #21 of 33

Tonight I tried the foil method just for grins, but it worked TOO well. I couldn't make my fondant stay put to get it rolled out. My husband always calls me the little bus rider and says I could tear up a steel ball with a glass hammer, so I don't know if it was just me or not. But I have got my heels dug in and I am determined to make at least one fabulous cake or die trying! I have gained so much weight with this new hobby my boys refer to the icing as BUTTercream - and I am having a blast. You are all so very fun and helpful!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #22 of 33

I have the blue Ateco mat and stopped using it. I find it easier for me to use my countertop instead.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:27am
post #23 of 33

I love the vinyl mat from walmart thing!! Thats why i like this place so much! You guys always have such great ideas. Go to Walmart is now on my to do list! thumbs_up.gif

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 4:46am
post #24 of 33

Texas_rose how do keep your vinyl mat from sticking to your fondant? Thanks in advance!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 5:57am
post #25 of 33

Gosh, this is an ancient thread!

Since it was started almost 3 years ago, it's no longer recommended to use fabric store vinyl because it's not food safe.

Sweetwise.com offers the only food safe vinyl--The Mat. When using it, the vinyl is conditioned with a bare smear of vegetable shortening.

HTH
Rae

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 1:54pm
post #26 of 33

Just found this article about vinyl. No WAY would I let food come into contact with it.

1. Vinyl plastic: Vinyl is the worst plastic for the environment. Banned in over 14 countries and the European Union, PVC, also known as vinyl, is still legally sold by U.S. retailers although it threatens environmental and consumer health at every stage of its product life cycle, according to the Center for Health, Environment, and Justice (CHEJ). When it's in your home, PVC can leach phthalates (linked to hormone disruption) and lead (a potent neurotoxicant) - contaminating air, dust, and eventually you. Go PVC-free by reading packages and avoiding the #3 in the chasing arrows symbol (usually found on the bottom of a product). If a plastic is not labeled, call the manufacturer. Learn more.

Read more: http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/091012_top_10_toxic_products_you_dont_need/#ixzz264hkAvVR

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:48pm
post #27 of 33

I just purchased the large Ateco silicone mat (blue borders and grid lines) from Williams Sonoma and I love it. Much larger than the crappy Wilton mat I was using. It was expensive, but worth it I think.

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 33

I've been using the Ateco mat for a couple of years and love it, too! icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:58pm
post #29 of 33

The solid blue Ateco is by far my favorite and I have been through a few different brands as well.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:05pm
post #30 of 33

I actually switched from the large blue Ateco silicone mat TO The Mat food safe vinyl mat.

I found the blue silicone mat too large & hard to clean. I roll on shortening and no matter what I did to clean it, it retained a tacky feel. It also was a veritable dust magnet.

For me, The Mat was much cheaper (2 large pieces vs. 1), so if I cut it by accident, it's a smaller loss. It also cleans easily and rolls up easily for storage in a mailing tube.

I've since cut up my Ateco blue silicone mat into smaller pieces that fit in my kitchen sink. I have soaked it in extremely hot water & soap to rid it of the tackiness and I use the pieces mostly for chocolate work.

JMHO
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%