How To Make Icing Shiny

Baking By miosito Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26am by ZlatkaT

miosito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miosito Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #1 of 26

Hi i need your help i use wilton royal icing recipe...when the icing dries...it doesn't have that shiny finish...how do you get that? is it a different recipe do i need to add something else..wilton's recipe is...water powedered sugar, and meringue powder.

25 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 26

i think ri usually dries pretty matt, shiny cakes are from things like lustre dust, confectioners glaze, rubbing on crisco, but i dont know how that would work with ri.
xx

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 26

you might want to try a glace icing for your cookies. it is more shiny than RI when dry.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 26

Tobas glace is perfect for that "stay on" shine!! (sounds like a commercial for lipstick huh?!)
Its in the recipe section icon_smile.gif And it takes soooo good too!

miosito Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 26

Thank you..i'll try the glazing...i use wilton's recipe..is there a big difference between that one and Antonia's icing? thank you icon_surprised.gif)

GayeG Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:41am
post #6 of 26

I think theres a HUGE difference between the A74's RI and Wilton - I used the Wiltons recipe for ages UNTIL I tried Antonia's - I will NEVER go back!! I ONLY use Tobas when I want it to stay nice and shiney - but IMO there is nothing better than Antonia's!!

miosito Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 26

Thank you for your responses icon_surprised.gif)...the only difference between wiltons royal icing and and antonia's is cream of tartar right? how does tobas glazing taste? does it dry hard? THANK YOU!!!

also..where can i find cello bags cheaper than Michaels.. i appreciate all your help.

GayeG Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 26

I dont remember what the Wilton recipe is - for I have been making A74 for awhile now ... but that sounds right ... but the consistancy is very different (its kinda velvety) , it pipes sooooooo much better!!!! Try it at least once and you'll be hooked on the texture (for lack of a better term) I dont flavor mine like she does .. I add butter & vanilla flavoring at the very end of the mixing time .. makes it taste kinda like Buttercream ... very yummy!
Tobas glaze doesnt dry "hard" like RI BUT it dries hard where you can stack or bag!! Just like royal icing (no smudging or anything) .. It taste great too! I flavor mine the same as I do the RI ..
I buy my bags at Wally World just coz they're cheaper =} Ive seen where you can buy in bulk online but for as many as I need, I just pick them up there then theres no shipping!
Hope all this helps!
Good Luck

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 26

I've never seen the cellophane bags at WalMart. What aisle are they in? I usually order online from Nashville Wraps.

GayeG Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 26

They are with the party stuff - colored plates/tablecloths/pinata's AND on the cake decorating isle ... which in my store is just across the isle ... they have all sizes .. colors etc. I just use the clear .. and I believe there is 25 or 50 packs. Sorry cant remember the price but they are cheaper than Michaels

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 26

Thanks!

GayeG Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 26

Absolutly! Your welcome!

miosito Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 26

Thank you GayeG
i'm going to try it tomorrow night icon_smile.gif now how do you make antonias 74 ro yal icing.? i found this recipe

6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar

1 kilogram is that one big bag of powdered sugar? do you do anything different w/ this recipe? w/ wilton i use 5 tbs of water and 3 of meringue powder..w/ this recipe is the icing really thick..and you water it down?

GayeG Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 26

Yep - its one big bag (2lbs) then about another cup - I *think* thats right anyways icon_wink.gif
Im not sure about different .. maybe the way you mix it together .. With the wilton - I didnt mix the water and meringue .. then add the cream of tarter .. and didnt mix it on slow for the 10 mins - I think all that is a bit diff. I really cant remember, sorry.
It does come out kinda thick, but not as thick as the Wiltons did ... Antonia suggest adding (dont quote me on this!) 1/4c warm water to the whole amt after its done, to get the correct consistincy for piping (?) but I dont do that - I use it as is for my outlines then thin only what I need for flooding ... I would suggest just adding a little water till you get what YOU like!!

And BTW: this makes a large amt. If you dodnt use all of it, you can store any UNcolored icing covered on your counter for weeks and weeks .. you can also freeze it icon_smile.gif Thats what I do .. let thaw in fridge, then let come to room temp b4 using ... just whip it again in your mixer 5-10 mins ...

HTH!

miosito Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 26

Thank you icon_surprised.gif)...will definitely try...how do you ice your cookies..i do mine w/ a paint brush...it takes me a long time to do them..any trick to spee things up? thank you so much for your help icon_smile.gif

GayeG Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 26

I outline them (most the time ... IF the icing stars are all lined up, I can get away with just flooding right to the edge) then flood ... then just a gentle shake side to side usually is enuff to cover it. If not, then I coax it into the corners with a small brush or toothpick. Let dry about 24 hrs then add any details ..
I tried to paint it on with a brush - just didnt work for me .. I guess it comes down to what ever is easiest for us!!

And your welcome! icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 26

I've found cello bags all over online. I use papermart.com. They have a ton of choices in size and gusseted sides or ungusseted. I've also purchased their gift boxes. Decent quality - not top notch...but a run of the mill glossy box...I haven't seen the cello bags at my Walmart either. That would be really nice though...

I'm actually having trouble with my Wilton RI today. It's been raining & I think it's affecting my dry time? Not sure....just a bit humid out. Although, I am in a hurry - so it's kind of like watching a pot of water boil!

I need to read up on ways of icing sugar cookies - but I will for sure try the other RI recipe listed...maybe I'll like the taste better!

Thanks!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by miosito

Thank you GayeG
i'm going to try it tomorrow night icon_smile.gif now how do you make antonias 74 ro yal icing.? i found this recipe

6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar

1 kilogram is that one big bag of powdered sugar? do you do anything different w/ this recipe? w/ wilton i use 5 tbs of water and 3 of meringue powder..w/ this recipe is the icing really thick..and you water it down?

Yes that is Antonia's recipe. I love it!! You mix the water and MP up with a whisk for 30 seconds. Throw in the cream of tarter, mix it with a whisk for 30 seconds. Add the PS (2 lb bag) all at once and then mix on low for 10 minutes.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 26

And yes, you just add water to thin it down. I add water very sparingly though. A little bit goes a long way!!!

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 26

Either I'm doing something wrong or one of my ingredients is doing it, but the reason I came in to the forum is to ask the same question How do I get my cookie to have a shiny finish? I only use Toba's glace and it dries dull. And yet in here people said Toba's has a nice shine. I'm confused????

They have a nice shine when wet, but as they dry they get dull. I follow Toba's recipe to the tee, I normally use milk, but have tried water and had same result. I'm beginning to wonder if it's my powdered sugar. The brand name is US and it is a 4lb. bag I get at Costco. I love shiny cookies
Carleen

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #21 of 26

Miosito, I found using small bottles for flooding cookies (can find them at Michaels) works really well and is fast. The bottle has a red top , where the tip is. Antonia's icing has worked very well and i thin it with just a bit of water. To test if the icing is "flow" consistency, drop a bit of the icing back in the container you using to mix it and count to 10. If the dropped icing flows back smooth by that count, it's good to use. You don't want it too thick because it won't flow out smooth on the cookie and you don't want it too thin because then it will flow over your outline of the cookie. Practice it and you'll know when it's right. Happy icing, C.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #22 of 26

Hi...For every egg I use, I use one cup of PS...(eggs need to be at room temp) I mix it for 6 to 7 minutes, and get nice shiney RI. Got this from Sue McMahon who teaches at the Notter School of Pastry Arts as a guest instructor from England. Easiest recipe I have ever used.

miosito Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #23 of 26

Hi everybody:

ok..i'm having problems using antonias royal icing..i tried it for first time..and it was getting clogged when i cleaned the tip it showed a little clog of white gluey stuff..that got hard..could it be the cream of tartar? please help..thank you.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #24 of 26

GayeG: I love these....lol

I'm NOT 40 something ... I'm $39.99 plus shipping and handling!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*When a woman steals your husband,
there is no better revenge than to let her keep him*

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by miosito

Hi everybody:

ok..i'm having problems using antonias royal icing..i tried it for first time..and it was getting clogged when i cleaned the tip it showed a little clog of white gluey stuff..that got hard..could it be the cream of tartar? please help..thank you.

I don't think it's the cream of tartar... that should have dissolved in the water when you first put it in.
hmmm... I wonder if it was just too thick and dried out too quickly?

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #26 of 26

I am dealing with the same issue, my icing never get shiny after dries. So I tried Toba's glace, and Antonia74 and the same result. I followed the recipes exactly, but I am thinking, that maybe a different meringue is used in the original recipe. I am using Wilton meringue, which contains cream of tartar (and I add an extra tartar, and tried without , and got the same result). Maybe some cookie recipe takes the icing different that others. I know it sounds funny, but what else? How can some people get shinny icing and some not with the same recipe????? What else?? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%