9X12 Pans/cake Sinks By 1/4 Inch?

Decorating By AntBee Updated 25 May 2009 , 6:19pm by AntBee

AntBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntBee Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 10

When baking sheet cake in 9X12 pan it is high almost to top of pan but when it starts to cool the cake sinks lower?

How do you all get your cakes to be about 2 inches high (the size of the pan), do I add more batter or what is the method?

Thanks again to all icon_smile.gif

9 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

you need to figure out why cakes are sinking. I use (and swear by) the bake even strips around the outside during baking. Since I started using them, I get very even baking cakes, no hump or sag in the middle. HTH

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 10

Aren't the bake even strips only used for round cakes,sorry my question mark isn't working,I was wondering about them as well.I just asumed if you used them on square cakes it would have to be something small and since most of my cakes these days seem to be large square cakes like 12' I decided not to get them,but it if they do work on this size or larger I would love to know,I'm sure they would make baking a lot easier if you didn't have to chop off the top all the time icon_lol.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 10

You can use them on any shape pan including square, they sell longer ones for bigger pans, and if your pan is really big, just use 2 pinned together. they are great, great, great

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 10

How much batter are you putting in your pan and what recipe (provide link or name) did you use?

(I use bake-even strips on all my cake pans, including the bundts!)

Indydebi's thread on cakes rising past the top of the pan:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334013-.html

Other taller cake help threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334723-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613710-.html

HTH

kokopuff Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #6 of 10

I guess I will have to get some afterall!I was just being to cheap to give them a try at 18.99 plus shipping icon_biggrin.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 10

For myself I love the bake even strips and use them all the time. For the bigger sheet cakes I just use 2 and pin them together with Walmart big T-pins. I put mine on soping wet too, I know they tell you not to, but it works for me. I keep mine soaking in a bowl next to me until time to put them on. Its messy but I clean it up. Sandy

pattycakesnj Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 10

you can get them at Michaels or AC Moore with the coupons if you have those stores near you or any kitchen type store. No need to order online and pay shipping

kokopuff Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 10

Nope,don't have either one of these types of stores near me,only walmart and in my area they have just began expanding their collection of wilton products but the bake even strips aren't one of them.There is a hobby lobby about 40 miles from me,I wonder if the would have them(question mark still not working,I'm gonna get a new keyboard today and dare my kids to knock it in the floor or eat over the top of it! icon_lol.gif

AntBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntBee Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 10

WOW! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone for your help & suggestions/links.

I have definately learned something, but I wonder if anyone knows why the cakes would sink after baking high in the pan?

Would it make a difference if it were a scratch cake vs a boxed cake?

I will try Micheals and also there is a cake store near me that I will try for the strips.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%