Graduation Cap

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 23 May 2009 , 12:35pm by Susie53

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 21

i'm going to do a graduation cake. would like the top to be a cap. any suggestions on the best way to do the cap and tassel? thanks.

20 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:20am
post #2 of 21

I would make the square top ahead to make sure everything is dry and I'd use an extruder to make the tassel.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 21

Depending on how large the cap will be, use an upside down bowl of the size you need, grease it and mold gumpaste over it to make the cap, then cut a square piece for the board, use either the extruder (or the one that comes with playdough) to make the tassle, some who dont have an extruder just make a tassle shape and use a toothpick to draw lines to resemble a tassle.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 21

For the cap, I baked a small cake in my smallest stainless steel mixing bowl...was perfect size, and the bottom was already flat so that I could put the gumpaste mortarboard on top without it trying to bend. For the tassle, I rolled out fondant/gumpaste mix and cut uniform strings with a pizza cutter and formed them all together...my extruder wasn't cooperating! lol.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 21

for a small cap i use a 4" round pan. For the top i either cut a square of fondant and let dry or cut a square peice of cake board and cover in fondant. for the tasel i roll out a small piece of fondnat, cut lines in it (but not at the top edge) and then roll the piece up and pinch at the uncut end to secure shut.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 21

I am actually trying a new idea for this today. I melted wilton candy melts, poured some into a small bowl (for the base of the cap) and then I drew a square on a waxed cake board and filled that in with the melted melts (to set on top of the "base") They are drying right now, not sure how they will turn out - I'll post as soon as I know. (I will make the tassles with my extruder, it works fine for me)

lil_girl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_girl4 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 21

For the cap I baked two 8 inch rounds, stacked them like normal with buttercream in between then carved a little off of the edge of the top round to make it more dome or peak shaped but left the top flat. I then covered in BC and MMF. I used cardboard covered in MMF for mortar board because I wanted there to be no bending or sagging going on. For the tassel I used a clay extruder that I got from Hobby Lobby for $25.00. I made 2 single snake like pieces (with extruder) and wrapped them together and then used one of the other extruder pieces and made a lot of little snake pieces and folded that in half then looped the first rope piece through the top of the little snake pieces (where the fold was). I then extruded a flat gold piece to act as the little metal thing on the tassel. I hope that makes since. It was pretty simple really and it was my first try so I do not think that you will have a problem. HTH.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 21

I wanted to try the candy melts for the board, but I was running out of time & didn't want to experiment with something new...let us know how it turns out! As for the extruder, I think the problem was the operator (me) lol.

lil_girl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_girl4 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 21

For the cap I baked two 8 inch rounds, stacked them like normal with buttercream in between then carved a little off of the edge of the top round to make it more dome or peak shaped but left the top flat. I then covered in BC and MMF. I used cardboard covered in MMF for mortar board because I wanted there to be no bending or sagging going on. For the tassel I used a clay extruder that I got from Hobby Lobby for $25.00. I made 2 single snake like pieces (with extruder) and wrapped them together and then used one of the other extruder pieces and made a lot of little snake pieces and folded that in half then looped the first rope piece through the top of the little snake pieces (where the fold was). I then extruded a flat gold piece to act as the little metal thing on the tassel. I hope that makes since. It was pretty simple really and it was my first try so I do not think that you will have a problem. HTH.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 21

Iused half of the Wilton Sports Ball pan for the hat part and then lined an 8 x 8" square pan with wax paper and poured candy melts in that to make the mortar board (which I covered with a very thin layer of fondant). Used two different inserts in my extruder to make the tassel: one for the ropey part on top of the mortar board, and another for the actual tassel part.

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 21

I used half of a styrofoam ball and cardboard square. It was my first one and came out pretty good.
Also for the tassels, I heard to push fondant through a garlic press!!!
Good luck, I just made mine the other day

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 21

I used a cupcake with a square cookie to make a grad cap I know its probably not the same idea you are looking for but another suggestion

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I am actually trying a new idea for this today. I melted wilton candy melts, poured some into a small bowl (for the base of the cap) and then I drew a square on a waxed cake board and filled that in with the melted melts (to set on top of the "base") They are drying right now, not sure how they will turn out - I'll post as soon as I know. (I will make the tassles with my extruder, it works fine for me)

This was the same idea I had! I bought the melts to try it this weekend! Let me know how yours turns out. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #14 of 21

OK - the cake with the candy melts graduation cap is done. I (as always) learn something each time I try a new technique! The candy melts worked fine for the cap - with a couple of improvements, I would be happier! 1.) I would try to figure out a way to make the flat part more level - I have some high/low spots - I "tapped" the board on the counter after spreading the melts, obviously that wasn't enough - any ideas??? After the top part was set, I heated a flat plate on my stove top to "dress" the edges of it up, that worked out fine. The part that was in the bowl (the base of the cap) did fine, it had a few tiny air bubbles in it, but nothing too bad. All in all, I am ok with it - I just know the next time it will be better. (I used some of the warm liquid melts to "glue" the 2 parts together.

The tassel is gumpaste - used my extruder for it, make sure the gumpaste is greased good with shortning, as is the barrel too. It worked out fine.

Here is the end result:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374998&done=1

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #15 of 21

It looks great! I wasn't remembering this, but I think now that you say that, I do recall putting a square of wax paper OVER the candy melts also and smoothing them, before they set, to be more flat. And I used a knife to clean up the edges.

Again, I think yours came out looking great!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #16 of 21

I made my graduation cap out of fondant/gumpaste mix. I dried the bottom part over a very small bowl. I did this several days in advance. I cut a square for the top and also let it dry. They came out perfect. I made a tassel using the makin clay extruder which worked really well. Very happy with the results.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #17 of 21

When I made my graduation cap, I used a plastic cocktail size cup and molded fondant over that, came out perfect size with a flat bottom to put the square top on.

Loucinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #18 of 21

Hollysueann - I did the candy melts cap - my results are on the previous page!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #19 of 21

i think it turned out great with the candy melts. i think i might try that for my grad cake in 2 weeks instead of the gp. i have never done anything with candy melts though, but hey, if it doesn't turn out i can always whip up a fondant square, lol. i'm doing a stack of books with a small cap on top so i'm using a cupcake for the cap. i would rather have decorations that taste good too.

Loucinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #20 of 21

The cap held up just fine overnight - no sagging or anything. Having it edible was one of the main reasons I wanted to try this. One more thing I forgot to add was that I put the bowl and the waxed board in the freezer to get them to release easier....worked great - they just popped right out and off! Let us know how yours turns out too!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #21 of 21

Loucinda, your graduation cap and cake turned out great! I love it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%