Dusting Off My Tools...

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 22 May 2009 , 12:53am by Rylan

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 7

It's been awhile since I've done a cake (3 years) and I've got one coming up for a special event.. I'm rusty and need to refresh my memory. I should be ok if I bake on Monday for a cake that will be eaten on Wednesday..Is this correct?

I went to my local cake shop and bought some fondant and was surprised at the price..Has fondant gone up in price?? I paid $25 for a 5lb bucket of Satin Ice.

I'm excited to get my hands in some icing again..I've really missed it!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 7

Monday to Wednesday is good. Yes everything is high.
Sounds like you're gonna have a nice 'reunion'.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 7

Yea!!! Welcome back to the dark side. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:30am
post #4 of 7

Hi Tami!
I don't know if you remember me but we met at the 1st AZ Cake Show in '05 that you won. So many of us wondered what ever happened to you! Your cakes are gorgeous!!

Several of the Westside Cake Club members still ask about you and I'm so happy to see you're back! Update with what's been going on with you.

And yes, Satin Ice is that expensive now! I'm assuming you went to ABC to get yours locally and that's the only place that does carry it. I know some of the girls go to ICES and are going to Cake Camp this year and are planning on ordering Satin Ice there because they ship it home for free.

Hope to hear from you again soon!
KimAZ

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Kim,

Yes, I remember you!! icon_smile.gif I went back to school full time and finished up my degree and I'm working now. This was my first year teaching. Going to school, then working and my family have kept me busy, so I had to put cake decorating a side for awhile. I've missed it and I've been itching to make something lately... We are having a volunteer reception at school next week and I volunteered to do the cake.

How have you been? Has the Westside Cake Club grown? Have they had any shows in the last few years? Does Bonnie still go to the meetings?

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

Hey Tami!

I'm good, thank you! The Westside Club has hosted the AZ Cake & Sugar Art Show for the past 4 yrs. ( I won BOS the 2nd year..yeah! icon_biggrin.gif ) I'm very actively involved with that club, the cake show and the club in Mesa too so I stay busy with all of them. Our last show was this past Feb and it was wonderful. We had about 55 entries so about 20 less than the year before but we had a huge ball room and lots of vendors and a live cake challenge too. It was so fun! Several of the girls from here at Cake Central entered and one of them one BOS too! Gotta love it!

The club itself has changed hands and has lots of new people all the time. Still about 20 people in total. We do hands on demos each month now so that makes it fun. We meet in Glendale. Hopefully you can join us again!!
Bonnie moved to OK at the end of last year. ( had her 3rd baby too)

Please keep in touch! I totally admire your work and would love to have you join us at the club(s) and show again!!

KimAZ

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #7 of 7

25 for 5 pounds is a lot! You should consider ordering online instead.

Good luck with your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%