Dora The Explorer Cake

Decorating By MissE Updated 21 May 2009 , 10:22am by MissE

MissE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissE Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

it's my niece's birthday on Thursday and she has requested a Dora the explorer cake. I've had a look at a few of the cakes here and didn't see any with any spanish words on there. We are trying to get her interested in reading and learning and I was wondering if there was an issue with putting spanish words on a Dora cake. Could someone help me if they know of any known issues with including the spanish words in the program?

7 replies
Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 8

I don't see why it would be an issue as most Dora fans are aware of the spanish words Dora uses even if they don't know any other Spanish! I don't think that putting words on a cake will encourage her to have an interest in reading or learning though.

No offense, but no child wants to review the words on her cake before digging into it! icon_smile.gif My daughter was 5 before she finally decided that learning was fun and about the same time started holding a pencil properly! lol! It was a bit stressful, but kids come around when they are ready!!

MissE Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 8

lol, thanks for your reply ... oh well. I think her mum feels bad because she's older than my brother's daughter who knows who Van Gogh is, and she's only 2 and a half. Her mum showed her his paintings just once and she went off to school, saw sunflowers in their school garden and started discussing his sunflower painting with her little mates. Apparently the teachers found that so funny. I was thinking of just putting two or three spanish words and a few number so make it fun. Nothing to crack her brains about. She's going to be 4. I don't have any children so sometimes I don't have a clue, I only come up with something from what I'm told ... lol. I've been forced to watch Dora the Explorer for 30mins this afternoon.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 8

I'm doing a Dora party for DD this Monday - so I am here in Dora world!! LOL! Was also a Spanish major...some words you could include:
Vamonos! (Let's go!) (put accent over the 'a'...can't remember how to type it! icon_smile.gif
Lo hicimos (we did it!)
feliz cumpleanos (happy birthday - put ~ over the n in cumpleanos)
celebramos (let's celebrate)
excelente (excellent)

if there's something in particular you want to write in Spanish, just PM me! icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE

lol, thanks for your reply ... oh well. I think her mum feels bad because she's older than my brother's daughter who knows who Van Gogh is, and she's only 2 and a half.

I think you could make it really fun so go for it, if you feel that's what you want to do! At 4 she would have to be read the words, but would probably really appreciate it when she's older and looks back at pics!! icon_smile.gif

Sometimes, as a parent, it is hard not to compare kids to others. icon_smile.gif I was a nervous wreck just trying to teach my daughter how to write her name before she started Kindergarten! lol!!!

djs328 has some great suggestions of Dora sayings to put on the cake! I really like Vamanos, and maybe you could even put the words of the Dora theme song "Come on Vamanos, everybody lets go..." around the edge of the cake?? Or write the spanish word for 4 or counting up to 4? I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and see what you come up with!! icon_smile.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 8

Oooh, thought of another one at dinner tonight...Backpack (a main character) always says, Delicioso! (how appropriate! icon_smile.gif

MissE Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:13am
post #7 of 8

Thanks very much for your replies everyone. Kay_NL this cake is actually for my first cousin's daughter, however my sister in law sometimes has to put the brakes on cos I tend to go crazy when it comes to making cakes for my nieces. I couldn't wish them to grow older fast enough so they can appreciate some of the cakes I wish I could make for them ... lol. I do have a teenage niece, 19 this year. But she's so disrespectful and unappreciative that I'm pinning my hopes on my poor 2 and a half year old niece. She and I can hold quite interesting conversations, with the most intelligible conversations lasting about 1 minute each time. Everyone keeps telling me I need to have my own. lol. Thanks so much djs328. I particularly like excelente and Delicioso. I went to the NickJr website and saw other words like mochila (back pack). Definately thinking about how to do it, without crowding the 10" square cake I'm planning to bake.

MissE Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:22am
post #8 of 8

Also loving the idea of putting the theme song around the cake as Kay_NL has suggested ... oh options options icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%