Graduation Hat

Decorating By DessertDreams Updated 19 May 2009 , 8:14pm by janelwaters

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have instuctions on making a graduation hat?

6 replies
PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have instructions but I am doing a grad cap this weekend, this is what I planned on doing.......

bake off a 8inch round cake, cut the top on a slant (so the top tilts) cover in B/C, cut out cardboard square and cover in fondant for the top. tassles will be fondant I am using my sons playdough extruder (will not be eaten).
Thats the plan in my head. Hope this helps or atl east doesn't confuse you.
good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, so the flat part of the hat is cardboard covered in fondant. That seems easy enough (famous last words). I was thinking of using half of a sports ball cake covered in fondant with the top trimmed a little so that the flat part of the hat sits level. I just couldn't figure out what the flat part was made from.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 7

yes using a sports ball would work as well.

"Ok, so the flat part of the hat is cardboard covered in fondant. That seems easy enough (famous last words)" lol I stopped saying :seems easy enough" a loooong time ago, I learnt my lesson.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 7

I made a graduation cap out of fondant/gumpaste mix. I rolled out the flat part to the size I wanted, cut it with a pizza cutter so it had clean edges. It has dried really firm and it will sit on another piece of gumpaste that I molded for the base. I will made the tassel out of fondant using my clay extruder. Hope this helps.
This graduation cap will actually sit on top of a cake.

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

Depending on how big of a cake you need, I use Wilton's Wonder Pan ( the one used for the Barbie doll cake) and just shape it accordingly. It works out really well. HTH!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

I have 2 different ones in my pics - both are 6 inch cakes with 8 inch cardboard squares covered in fondant. tassles were made with the clay extruder.

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%