Why Did This Happen?

Decorating By sadie098 Updated 24 May 2009 , 4:40am by tonedna

sadie098 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadie098 Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:23am
post #31 of 37

Edna I have never used Satin Ice. Forgive my ignorance, is that used the same way as fondant?

I have never had this happen before and I've done nothing but mmf for the last yr. Even in the cruddiest weather and no problems.

But I'd like to hear more about Satin Ice.

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #32 of 37

does this happen with regular fondant or MMF?

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:37pm
post #33 of 37

I completely agree with some of the other posts that it is the amount of moisture in your cake that was the problem. Box mixes do tend to be more moist, and then if you are adding extra oil, etc and then covering it with fondant, I can totally see why it got gummy. I am a scratch baker, and we all know that scratch cakes tend to be a little more on the dry side than box mixes...I pretty much only work with fondant, and have never had a problem with my cakes being gummy. I will say, though, that I HAVE noticed that on my cakes covered in fondant, they are more moist than when just covered in buttercream. If I were you, I would play with your recipe...make a few small cakes from different recipe variations, and cover them with fondant. Let them sit for a few days or more, and then cut into them. When you find one that works, make a larger cake and do the same thing. It's kind of a waste of cake, but then you will have peace of mind!

BTW, Satin Ice is a brand of fondant that is commonly used. You use it exactly like you would MMF. It's more expensive, but personally I feel that the quality is so much better...and I can't stand making mmf! IMHO!

sadie098 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadie098 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #34 of 37

So much wonderful information. Thank you for sharing. I will most definately adjust my recipe! I will also be on the lookout for Satin Ice. I've not seen that around but will delve deeper in my search.
Thank you very much.
It's so nice to have other bakers who actually know and are willing to share that knowledge.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #35 of 37

I purchase it from Global Sugar Art. I only have AC Moore and Michaels around me, and that is definitely not something they carry! If you have specialty cake stores near you, they might have it.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

I purchase it from . I only have AC Moore and Michaels around me, and that is definitely not something they carry! If you have specialty cake stores near you, they might have it.

or a food supply company... we have twin bakery supply and they sell flour sugar etc etc and i get my satin ice 20 lbs for $42...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:40am
post #37 of 37

Sorry I didnt respond before, I was in a brand of fondant. It is not the best one out there, but for the price it works well..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%