I have someone who wants a chocolate wrap cake (which chocolate). I've read all the tutorials, ShirleyW's, MisterC and Sari (I think that is her name). I have a few questions for anyone who's made this kind of cake.
1. How time consuming is it? It seems awfully time consuming. I'm not sure how large the cakes will be yet, but just to get an idea - how long would it take to make enough cigarellos to cover an 8 inch tier (approximate guesstimate).
2. I know of one warehouse where I can get the white chocolate, but does anyone have a particular brand that is great? How much, if you remember, does it cost?
3. Is it more cost effective to buy premade cigarellos?
4. I have to figure out time involved and ingredients, but if you've made one before, how much did you charge per person?
5. I really like MisterC's tutorial. I'm not sure what he means by adding the pointed triangles. Do you wrap it w/ your first layer, then add triangles to the top? Inside or outside the first chocolate layer? How do you hide the seams?
I intend to practice this cake this week, but am looking for some tips. This bride to be seems to really be set on me making her cake after a tasting we had today. She is one of those brides who really knows what she wants! I just need to know what to charge and how much time this will take me! Thank you so much in advance!!
Ok, I just re-read MisterC's tutorial. It looks like you are supposed to put the first wrap on, then add the triangular peaks. But I guess I'm wondering if those added pieces are also supposed to go down to the bottom of the tier? Or are they half pieces?
Nevermind - I did figure out how he did his.
Does anyone have answers to my other questions? Maybe if I wait long enough, I'll figure that out too! LOL
Just kidding - I have no idea what to charge, so I am trying to figure out expenses.