Too Much Filling...help

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 17 May 2009 , 2:38pm by mareg

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 11

I am making a wedding cake for tomorrow. One of the layers i put too much filling in and the cake is falling apart. I am in the process of baking a new cake but I have a question... Can I mix the strawberry filling with the buttercream for the filling instead of just doing the strawberry filling? I am thinking that may make it more stable.

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

10 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 11

theres no reason why you cant and remember you can alway use a thin layer of white choco to hold it together i have used white choco and a spatual to kinda reinforce the sides and it helped good luck better put on some coffee!!!!

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 11

Ok, thanks! And yes, I sure can use some coffee.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #4 of 11

Ew sorry but I dont think I would want a strawberry and buttercream filling. I dont know, maybe there is a good recipe for something like that but if you are just talking about mixing sliced strawberries with vanilla BC I dont know...

When you are doing cakes, especially wedding cakes, all you need is a very, very thin layer of filling (of course there are exceptions, but usually wedding cakes have VERY thin layers of filling). You shouldnt have a problem with stability if you put the correct amount of filling. No need to change your filling recipe, Im sure it will be fine. Use whatever filling you think will taste better, just use less of it. Good luck with your cake, hon! Dont stay up too late. lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ew sorry but I dont think I would want a strawberry and buttercream filling. I dont know, maybe there is a good recipe for something like that but if you are just talking about mixing sliced strawberries with vanilla BC I dont know...

This is a pretty common recipe ... done all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

When you are doing cakes, especially wedding cakes, all you need is a very, very thin layer of filling

Agree. Do you use a BC dam around the edge of your cake? When using fruit fillings, I use the dam, and then the filling is added to just under the top edge of the dam. Too much fruit filling can contribute to a "slider" cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 11

I'm probably too late but what kind of filling are you using?
And as Indy said, did you pipe a dam around the edge of the filling?

Hope all goes well with the replacement.

<insert fingers crossed smilie face>

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 11

When I do fruit fillings it's just a thin layer of preserves, I'm talking just spread on, not even enough to make anything slide. I don't use the sleeved fillings at all, I put the strawberry preserves into the buttercream all the time to flavor it. If it's too soft you can add some more sugar to stiffen it up. It just sounds like you had too much filling to begin with. Hope it all worked out!

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 11

ok so we need to know did it work out? did you sleep?haha

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 11

I tried mixing the strawberry filling with the bc and it tasted good but looked horrible! I couldn't put it in my cake. Has this happend to anybody else?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, the juices in the s-berries leak out and cause a curdled look to the BC. Tastes great but doesn't look too good. I think the juice from the fruit is the culprit.

I just spread a thin layer of BC on the cake layer with a decent size thick dam around inner edge, chop s-berries in to tiny pieces on paper towels the night before or morning of and store covered in fridge (1/4" chunks, and don't add sugar to the berries to produce juice), spread over BC (about 1/2" thick), then put another cake layer on top and press slightly to level and slightly squoosh BC dam. I use all butter SMBC, so it gets perfectly solid in the fridge and doesn't move. Not too much s-berries and a skewer down the center of each cake tier will also help any sliding.

added in edit: Fresh strawberry cream cake is very popular around here, and every bakery has their version. Great in spring and summer! I've had some practice icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 11

Thanke Sweetiesbykim, That I have done too with the strawberries. I didn't know the juice would do that to the bc. Do you have a recipe for a Straberry Cream Cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%