Does Anyone Actually Eat Fondant?

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 15 May 2009 , 3:53pm by misserica

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 43

There are some absolutely beautiful cakes done in fondant on here. No one will eat it around here but they all want that look. My db and I discussed this. He said he has never eaten a beautiful cake that tasted good. I did not even go to the last class of Wilton Course 3 cuz i felt it was a waste of money. Why do a cake that no one will eat. How do you explain that the cake will not look like the pictures if not done the same way????

42 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 43

Hi, I normaly don't eat fondant, but there are people who like to eat fondant. And loads of kids like eating fondant too! But I have to say even though I don't eat fondant, I would eat Mochele Foster's fondant anytime! icon_smile.gif

tiggerjo Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 43

but the cake isn't even sliceable is it?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 43

I happen to love it (as long as it isn't Wilton's) - I know I'm the minority on this topic icon_eek.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 43

I make fondant cakes all the time and my coworkers always eat it. You have to use the right kind of fondant in order for it to taste good. I usually use Satin Ice or Chocopan and they love it. I'm going to try MMF on them sometime to see what they think.

Also, there are some ways to get BC to be fondant smooth. My mom swears by the Melvira method. Have you tried that on your BC?

Hope this helps some. icon_biggrin.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 43

It definitely depends on the fondant that you use....some taste horrible, others are not bad and some are yummy!! You still have buttercream or ganache under the fondant, so if they don't like it, just peel it off. They get the look they want and a delicious cake! icon_smile.gif

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 43

I'm with ya tigger, yuck! But I really don't feel that you need to use fondant to create a beautiful cake. Some of the most gorgeous cakes on here are buttercream. IMHO, I often think the bc looks better. Sorry, no offense to anyone..

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 43

I hsve a couple of folks that love the MMF I use. It is good tasting and so are the "name brands" Satin Ice, Pettinice, Chocopan (think tootsie roll) icon_biggrin.gif These all taste wonderful!

I think for most of us in the U.S. - Wilton is the only thing they have tasted - so they do not have a good taste experience for their first time eating fondant. Another thing is the "texture" - we are not used to chewing our frosting! icon_surprised.gif

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 43

I don't eat fondant or frosting. Just give me a plain ol' cake layer and a fork and I'm happy as a clam.

That said... I work almost exclusively with fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 43

I've never had anyone peel of chocopan. It's a little harder to work with but it tastes so good.

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 43

I make mmf and I have a lot of people that eat it and like it.
My husband and one close friend of mine won't eat it and peel it off.

I like fondant because it provides so much versatility and I love the look of it. Also, I personally like the taste.

tiggerjo Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I hsve a couple of folks that love the MMF I use. It is good tasting and so are the "name brands" , Pettinice, Chocopan (think tootsie roll) icon_biggrin.gif These all taste wonderful!

I think for most of us in the U.S. - Wilton is the only thing they have tasted - so they do not have a good taste experience for their first time eating fondant.{ Another thing is the "texture" - we are not used to chewing our frosting! }icon_surprised.gif

THAT'S IT!!!! I couldn't quite put my finger on it...chewing frosting is just not right. Yes, unfortunately Wilton is the only thing I have access to. I am going to order some satin ice.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, it is. The fondant dries a bit, but not so much that you can't cut it. You just have to use a good knife. SHARP knife.

I don't really like to eat fondant just because I don't care for the texture too much, but the flavor is fine. I only use Michele Foster's Fondant. I've never seen anyone peel the fondant off a cake that I've served. Perhaps I just serve to ultra polite people? icon_biggrin.gif

My kids would eat a whole batch of it if I'd let them. They may not be too discriminating, though. icon_razz.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 43

I use Satin Ice fondant, and my customers (and friends and family) love it. At the events I have attended where my cakes are served, I would say 95% of the guests eat the fondant. I have converted MANY people who SWORE they hated fondant over the eating side... turns out they had just never had GOOD fondant.

At most kids parties, the kids all scramble to get the fondant decorations and things... my daughter actually sits around when I decorate waiting for scraps she can eat straight up. Every time she see a small piece of fondant on the worktable it;s "do you need that?" or "Can I have this?" lol

So yes, people do eat fondant, if it's good fondant. Taste aside, some people don't like the texture, no matter how good the flavor is though.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 43

The very first time I used fondant to cover an entire cake I made Michele Foster's. The cake was for my niece's 1st birthday so I was able to get feedback from my family. It was pretty much split down the middle, half liked the fondant taste and texture, half thought it was pretty but just got in the way, so they ate around it. I am going to try adding flavor (maybe strawberry) to the next batch I make and see how that goes over. I liken fondant to the texture of Circus Peanuts...anyone remember those marshmallow candies?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 43

i teach wilton.. i tell the students, just because you wouldn,t eat fondant.. no matter which brand.. doesn,t mean, you wont, be asked to make one.. so you need to know how in order to please the person that is paying you.. i don,t eat it either..no matter which brand.. but i make them and get the money for making them... i don,t listen to my dh... what does he know.. he doesn,t have to eat anything i make.. that is how i feel about it.. i make them for whomever wants to pay me for my knowledge of it all.. if you don,t like any of it.. peel it off.. hth

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 43

I use fondant AND eat fondant...but NOT Wilton.
Satin Ice, FondX, Chocopan...these are all very edible AND yes, you can cut thru them.
Fondarific is also a very edible and cut-able product.
icon_wink.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 43

I like to eat fondant. Marshmellow is good, even bought wilton isn't to bad if you add more flavor to it. You have to be careful how much flavor you add. You can make the Wilton fondant in the yearbook as well and add your own flavor, that tastes good. I just don't like it too thick, then it seems too chewy.

tiggerjo Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 43

Circus Peanuts...brings back memories. My grandmother used to feed them to us in church to keep us from "fidgeting". My mother would get so mad cuz they stained our little white church gloves. Yep that's exactly what circus peanuts are...fondant that somebody drove a car over.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #20 of 43

I lllllloooooovvvvvee my fondant!!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #21 of 43

I think it's fine, and my friends at work think it's fine. I've never quite understood how people are such picky eaters. All 3 fondants are well received around here....Satin Ice, Michele Foster's and marshmallow.

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #22 of 43

It often depends what you're used to. In England (where I grew up) most of the special occasion cakes are covered with fondant. Many people like it, but as with all foods some don't. In fact to many English people the thought of putting peanut butter and grape jelly on a sandwich is gross! Or eating pancakes and syrup from the same plate as sausages and bacon.

In the USA however most people have grown up with buttercream covered cakes. People I have spoken to have no idea that fondant is even edible and are reluctant to try it. I think it is up to us as cake decorators to encourage people to try it and prove that it can taste great - even if we don't like the taste or texture ourselves.

I also think that most of the amazing cakes on this site are covered in fondant! But that's my personal opinion.

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #23 of 43

I wonder if you could make fondant from the circus peanuts. . . you know, substitute peanuts for the marshamallow in MMF? icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walls1971

I wonder if you could make fondant from the circus peanuts. . . you know, substitute peanuts for the marshamallow in MMF? icon_smile.gif

Yum, that sounds good.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

I find the best way to slice a fondant cake and not worry about the potential of squishing it is not only to use a sharp knife but to use a pointed knife. I use the pointed end to pierce the surface of the fondant and then follow through and complete the slice along the entire length of the knife.

I had an issue with cutting fondant only once and it was because the cake itself was too soft and I didn't use this method. Now, I can even cut a supersoft cake like a chiffon that has fondant on it by using the point to pierce the fondant first.

As for the taste of fondant, I personally don't mind it but really have never liked icing of any kind on my cakes. For cakes I've made, I'd say about 50% of the people eat it. Kids love it though and as PinkZiab mentioned, will fight over the decorative pieces.

You can also make a buttercream iced cake that has just fondant decorations for those that don't want fondant. You get the best of both that way!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #26 of 43

I have never used fondant to cover a cake nor have I ever eaten cake covered in fondant. I do use candy clay for accents and sometimes fondant/gumpaste if I need something a little more sturdy, like a figure or monogram to stand up.

Most kids love the candy clay, but many adults don't eat it because of the chewy texture. I suspect this would happen if I covered the entire cake in fondant.

I have tried all the tricks to get my buttercream smooth, but I'm not there yet. I love the look of fondant and would really like to learn how to use it. But I doubt anyone would eat it. I can't see spending the extra money and effort on something that will just be thrown away.

I am debating this with myself now, and was wondering what other's thoughts are...is using fondant for looks only worth it? By the way, I am a hobby baker only and I only gift my cakes. People think they are cute, but most rave about the taste more than anything. I'd hate to screw that up! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

scarlett9920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett9920 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #27 of 43

I have used and tried them all. I live in a rural area and Wilton's is all you have access to and other brands had to be ordered. For time and expense restraints I started using Michelle Foster's fondant. It turns out great everytime. It is easy to work with and taste great. For best flavor use a high quality extract. If you are going to be making a lot I recommend buying glycerine online from sugarcraft.com. They sell 20oz bottles for $7.50 which makes 20 batches of fondant compared to Wilton's 2oz for $2.00. I buy several bottles at a time to ensure its always on hand.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #28 of 43

I love fondant and cant stand buttercream. Im in the UK and you dont encounter much buttercream. I tried it once with crisco stuff, Oh my god it was like eating vaseline. noone liked it at all (and I followed the instructions). i use all butter creamer icing sugar and vanilla under my fondant but would not consider doing an all buttercream cake. Just yuck to me. Also never had any problems cutting fondant never even thought of it being a problem but I forget to think about many things icon_redface.gif . I love the way fondant looks too, im working my way to some of the amazing creations you see on here. Never used wilton fondant though and dont think I will bother hehe. I think it is probably a UK USA thing as well.
HanX

MistyGirl2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyGirl2008 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #29 of 43

Not if it's Wilton fondant but yes if it's Satin Ice or homemade MMF.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #30 of 43

Same here...not Wilton...ewwwwww.

I love satin ice or home made whether it is Michele's or MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%