Confirm My Decision, Please?!

Business By Tellis12 Updated 19 May 2009 , 1:50pm by cylstrial

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 21

I've just started advertising that I do wedding cakes and I've gotten a few responses recently. I had a woman contact me the other day about needing a cake for June 12, of this year, and another for June 27th. Both of these were going to be large orders and would have been great for business.

The catch? I'm due to have a baby on June 11th. So I told both of these ladies I wasn't available for their dates. I tried to figure out if there was any realistic way that I could accomplish either of these but there isn't. I'd be crazy to say I could do it. I'm just having a hard time because I really could use the exposure and especially the money.

I just need you to tell me I made the right decision. Thanks!

20 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 21

You absolutely did the right thing!! Imagine if you'd gone into labor in the middle of decorating?! icon_eek.gif Or trying to do a wedding cake with a newborn & no sleep? Very wise of you to pass on these! thumbs_up.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 21

OMG!!! that's absolutely the right decision! You need to concentrate on that baby and you! There'll be plenty of time for cakes later.....Good luck with the baby & Congratulations!

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 21

Family and health first, always. Is this a side biz or a hobby? In either case, you and the baby come first. Is there someone who could help out like in baking and crumb coating and doing most of it for you, were u just sit on a stool or in a chair? Deligation is always key, that is if you have someone to delegate too. HTH

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 21

Not sure, the one for june 12 you can not do it would be pushing to close, but I would have taken the one for June 27, but in reality if you feel you would be to pressured then yes you made the right choice. Relax an enjoy your pregnancy. Congratulations!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 21

You definitely made the right decision. It's right for you and for the brides...you don't need to be baking while you're in labor and they don't need to have to worry about finding a cake at the last minute if you do go into labor. Also there's no guarantees of a really speedy recovery when you have a baby...I had to have an unplanned c-section and I couldn't lift anything heavier than 5 lbs for a while...imagine trying to make a cake with that restriction.

The time before the baby comes should be used for you to relax. Get some sleep, go see a movie or go out to dinner with your husband.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 21

You totally made the right decision. I was asked to make three different cakes in June and July and I turned them down (I'm 28 weeks) I was just afraid he would come early and I wouldn't be able to do the cakes. Plus I don't charge for my cakes, so that would be a lot of stress and pain (on my back and feet icon_lol.gif ) Congrats on the new addition!

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 21

what if you did go into labor while doing one of the cakes and then you couldn't get it finished, then that would be bad exposure, not what you want people to hear about. It's better that you don't do it. There will be plenty of chances for your business to have good exposure.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #9 of 21

Taking the cake orders would have been a very bad idea.You did the right thing.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #10 of 21

Yep, definitely did the right thing...now those women have time to find someone else instead of you taking those orders, and not being able to fulfill them and them not getting anyone else in time. Now, you've left the door open for them to come back to you for other events when you are ready.

Congrats on your new baby...mommy and baby first....cakes, a very very close second LOL

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #11 of 21

i agree that having a baby while trying to roll fondant would definatly make things harder !!! but i would say IF and only if these ladies were coming to you for a specialty say you make amazing fondant flowers or something special i would offer to make the flowers ahead and drop them at there bakery so the they can be applyed to the plain cakethus they would have a cake incase your in labor and it would have your touch

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #12 of 21

Seems like a no brainer to me. Who would do the cake if you were in the hospital?

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:48am
post #13 of 21

Definately you have made the right choice! You should put yourself and your family first. Babies can be very unpredicatble and even if every thing goes to plan, on time, and you have one of those mythical babies that sleeps well, you will be placing yourself under stress.

I did this with my first child, worked too hard on cakes, go no sleep for a year and ended up very unwell in hospital. People told me being a mum was hard work, but I thought I would manage.

The second baby was much much different. I said no to many people for cakes. Still am saying no.

I plan on starting cakes again when they are at school. I find it stressful trying to keep toddlers out of the cake stuff. Fortunately I am in the situation where we can afford to live on one income.

Good Luck with the birth and your newest family member!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:22am
post #14 of 21

Your baby is due on the 11th but in reality can come anytime in a four week window there. Once your baby is here, all you want to do is bask in them and if you have unforseen complications (I ended up with a DVT after my first and an emergency ceasar for my second), you aren't going to be up to it. You don't need the stress - a bub's arrival is the hardest thing in the world to predict (unless you are scheduled for a caesar)! You definately did the right thing by your family. The gumpaste flower compromise is a good one though if you really wanted to do something. One of my friends just bought the flowers off a lady and put them on top of the cake she had bought.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:34am
post #15 of 21

Totally, completely, utterly, undeniably (am I making myself clear?) the right decision! Babies don't generally arrive on their due date - mine was 14 days overdue which would take you very close to the second date you turned down.

Enjoy your new baby, cakes can come later - you are obviously doing something right with your advertising so more orders will come your way.

Good luck!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:50am
post #16 of 21

Take this from someone whos babies are both grown and gone...enjoy every minute!!! I know we all love cake decorating but.....it is just cakeicon_smile.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 21

you definetly made the right decision. More orders will come, I promise!

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 21

There's no need to second-guess yourself. You definitely did the right thing. Even if he/she came on time, you still need to recover and bond with your little one. If you just barely started advertising and you're already getting requests, chances are there will be more customers waiting at your door when you are ready to dive in again. Congratulations, btw, and best of luck to you and your family icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #19 of 21

Thanks everyone. I know I made the right decision. On top of having a new baby, I also have a toddler and it would have just been too crazy. It was just a money issue (we could really use it!). But my wonderful DH sat me down last night and told me that he didn't want me to worry about money and to only do cake if I enjoy it. He was so sweet about it.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:09am
post #20 of 21

You are so right to turn down the orders. You have to figure with a newborn and a toddler you are going to be spending ten hours a day on JUST basic care -- feeding, cleaning, dressing, toileting. Any cake is going to take a LOT longer than you think, because it is awfully hard to work when you have to stop every 15 minutes. And there go your profits if you get to the end and need to hire a babysitter to get those kids out of your hair so you can do the work. And that is with an easy baby and recovery!

Good luck! Before my second was born, I was pretty worried about how I would manage, but I actually thought it was easier than the first time around because you have a clue and the toddler can pick stuff up for you when you are feeding the baby!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #21 of 21

Whoa! You definitely did the right thing! Especially with already having a toddler. The business will come when you're ready for it. Just keep advertising...and pick a date when you'll be ready to start making cakes again. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%