Dowels..wooden Vs. Plastic ?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 12 May 2009 , 11:42pm by kccreations

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing my first tiered cake for my nephew's wedding next week. It will be 14,10,6, I am wondering if the plastic dowels are sturdier than the wooden ones, just because they are bigger. Thanks

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 7

people use different things as you said... wooden dowels.. bubble tea straws.. single plate system.. you could go on and on.. you will get so many answers to this question.. i have used all three that i have mentioned.. liked all three for different reasons... i have never had a disaster using the wooden dowels(wilton) if you use them right.. there is no problem.. you have to have them straight up in the cake..no leaning.. just like with anything you use.. single plate system is great also.. if you you these.. they are cheap enough, you don,t have to ask for them back.. just add them in to the price, etc. anything , you use.. has to be straight down into the cake.. plus your cake has to be sturdy also.. hth

kccreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccreations Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

Too have used them all. I tend to use the wooden more just because I have a ton, but like the fact that the plastic is easier to cut. I have a hard time with those crazy wooden ones cutting straight.

However, I always use a wooden one for the center on a stacked construction. Just makes me feel better. . . state of mind? Probably. I totatlly agree about making sure you are straight down too. Very important.

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies, if I stack on site, I don't need the center dowel, right?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

No doubt that the Wilton dowels having such a small diameter have more chances to slide sideways... If I use wooden, I use the thicker ones..
Edna icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7

Nope...as long as no one bumps into the table or shoves the table around.

kccreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccreations Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know if I would chance it and go without a center rod. I had a mishap with a wedding cake where some kids were playing around and bumped the cake table before I was done and the topper came crashing down. I don't take chances with anything anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%