Mini Cake Question!! Please Please Help!

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 23 May 2009 , 3:46am by -K8memphis

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 31

Okay so I may have just bit off way more than I can chew but I agreed to tackle making 30 mini cakes for a co-workers daughters wedding.

So how to I make 30 mini cakes all the same size?
I am looking at 3-4 inch round cakes. Do i use a pan? cut them? HOW?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

This is a great family and I want to make them happy and it could be great for me!

Thank you!
Katie

30 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 31

What about the large cupcake pans? That way you don't have to cut anything. If not that buy a large round cookie cutter and cut out rounds from a sheet cake and stack. (Depending on the cake, you may want to refrigerate before cutting out your shapes). Good luck and make sure you post a picture.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 31

What about the large cupcake pans? That way you don't have to cut anything. If not that buy a large round cookie cutter and cut out rounds from a sheet cake and stack. (Depending on the cake, you may want to refrigerate before cutting out your shapes). Good luck and make sure you post a picture.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 31

I looked at the large cupcake pan but I found that it has a slight angle on it and that will make the fondant design a bit more difficult...

UGGGG...

Do you think I could use a regular circle cutter and that would work?

I am worried that it might not be straight.

I have to start baking today!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 31

The easiest way for you to do that would be to bake the cakes in a 12x18 pan after they're baked, freeze them. Then use a clean tuna fish can (or something the size you need) and cut your little layers from that sheet cake. Fill, crumbcoat and then ice. There are some places that sell the little cake bases that size.....I can't remember right off - but they are out there.

Edited to add: get a production line going for the fondant, make a "template" and laminate it - use a pizza cutter to cut the fondant from the template - if you have anyone who could help - it will be easier! (I helped a friend do 40 table cakes this way!)

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 31

I use small tuna fish tins (3") to bake mine in. All my family and friend collected them for me, so I can bake a whole lot at once.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 31

If you decide to go with large cupcake pans, use a cake recipe that doesn't get sticky on the top (I have found WASC to get horribly sticky) ... then turn them upside down. The slight angle to the cupcakes actually makes the fondant work a little easier for me. I sometimes use mini-cupcakes pans for petit fours because the poured fondant runs right down the sides!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Katiekatiekatie Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 31

OH PERFECT!
I am going to open tuna cans now!!!
humm tuna and cake... wow.
But that does seem better than the cookie cutters.
I think I will freeze the cakes first before I cut them.
This is such a great idea. I LOVE THIS SITE! Everyone ALWAYS helps.
I will post pictures when I finish.
THANKS AGAIN!
Katie

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 31

I just "eye balled" a 12x18 with the tuna can and it looks like you can get 12 of them out of each sheet cake.

IF you have that sheet cake! (I have like 15 of them here) so I use them for a lot of different applications!

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 31

I baked several 8x8 cakes. (I don't remember the exact count. I had to make 36!) Then, using the 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, began cutting away! I split each one in half, filled, and covered with buttercream, fondant and decorated with a simple fondant flower and ribbon around the bottom.

I discovered a week later that SugarCraft had mini cake pans in round, square and heart shapes. I'd visit and order if I were you. My method took longer than I would have liked.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Only the best!

Allison

Katiekatiekatie Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 31

Yeah I should have also said that I have to have these done by next wed! No time to order special pans. I do have 16X16 square pans so I will be using them.

This family is very special! They have been thru so many things,they NEVER seem to get a break. My co-workers is an amazing woman she works incredibly hard and is so caring for all of her patients, she deserves the world! I hope I can do this!

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 31

You can do it! The 16x16 will work. Cut the top and bottom off of the tuna can - bake the cakes - freeze them - use the tuna can to cut them, (it will work, since there is NO "handle" to stop it from going all the way through the cake like a cookie cutter sometimes has) then cut those rounds in half - fill and crumbcoat - then do the fondant thing!

lazlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lazlo Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 31

you could also go to the hardware store and getting metal piping the size you want and have them cut it for you.. I used to work in a 1500 room hotel we would have 500 people group events or more that wanted little flippin cakes so we would bake say like 12 sheet cakes put the filling on half of them and then flip out the other sheet cakes on top of the filled ones if we had time we would freeze then cut then freeze again and then ice. it makes for less crumbs and time. that way it is all consistent. good luck

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 31

I like using the large cupcake pans myself. I find that they seem easier to work with because of the slant... if not then this last idea sounds really good. Hope it goes well and post a picture.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 31

Icant believe I even am trying this! I decided to bake sheet cakes and use the can idea but I used small condensed milk cans. it seems to be working and they are a good size.

I will post pictures, im working on the cali lillies now!

THANKS!
Katie

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #16 of 31

Just make sure that you torte and fill the cake as a whole before you cut out each round. That way you aren't torting each little round.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 31

Thanks, Lazlo and Mommyle, for sharing the idea of filling the whole cake at once before cutting out the rounds!!! I probably won't ever try to tackle mini cakes but, if I do, your hint sounds like it would make it SO much easier! thumbs_up.gif

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 31

i do mine in the mini cake pans. see photos

Katiekatiekatie Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #19 of 31

Okay so I finished the cakes!!! I worked until 430am. I was happy that it was finished. I liked the cakes for the most part but by cake # 10 I was done! I dont think I will be tackling mini cakes again. I have tried to post pictures but it isnt working!!! I will keep trying.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Katie

Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #20 of 31

HERE THEY ARE!!!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #21 of 31

Where??????

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

HERE THEY ARE!!!

Here they are....not?

Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #23 of 31

HERE ARE THE MINI CAKES!
LL
LL
LL

Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #24 of 31

Okay now there are 3 pictures!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #25 of 31

Those are adorable, but they were obviously a LOT of work. You did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #26 of 31

The picture was worth the wait -- they're gorgeous!!!!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #27 of 31

I made them and a large one to match but I cant even get that to post one picture I willkeep trying!

Lets hope the bride likes them too!

Loucinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #28 of 31

WoooHOOOO - you did a wonderful job!! You should be very proud, those are just gorgeous!!!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #29 of 31

lovely!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #30 of 31

beautiful!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%