Cupcake Decorating Parties...anyone???

Decorating By KKC Updated 12 May 2009 , 6:29am by nicolesprinkle

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 10

Hey guys,

I recently decided that i wanted to start hosting cupcake/cookie decorating parties. But i have no clue as to what to charge. Does anyone offer any decorating parties? If so what are your prices and what do u offer??

I was thinking of offering the following

2 hours for party
2 hosts
3 cupcakes/cookies per child to decorate
icings in disposable piping bags
sprinkles
sugar add ons
disposable aprons
cupcake boxes
personalized apron for birthday child (done by family friend)
gift for birthday child
framed photo of party for birthday child

i was thinking of $300 for 15 kids (15 being the minimum) and then $15.99 each additional child.

Any opinions, suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated! TIA icon_smile.gif

9 replies
txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 10

Wow that sounds like a great idea for a party. I would think 3 items each child a bit much, maybe just 1 cupcake & 1 cookie per child. One to eat there & one to take home. If you leave it at 3, and they choose what they want, you will have a lot of I want 3 cupcakes, no wait, 2 cupcakes 1 cookie. 5 minutes go by .. So & so got 2 cookies and a cupcake, i want that too ... Just my suggestion. But it sounds like a really great idea.

KKC Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 10

txsteph, thnx for your response. I'm not going to provide cupcakes & cookies the parents would have to let me know whether they want it to be a cupcake decorating party or cookie party not both icon_wink.gif But i was originally just thinking of giving 2 cupcakes per child...i don't know. I think i may have to Google it and see what everyone else is charging and what they are offering. What do you think of the price that i listed? Would you honestly pay that much for a party?

txsteph Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 10

I have two daughters, I have paid $150 for a hour & half party at a gymnastics place here. It only includes 8 kids plus birthday girl. So a party for 15, no worry about cake or drinks, or plates, or clean up etc .. I would be willing to do that price if all that is included.

Edited to add .. the gym place did not include anything but the place to have it & the equipment to play on. I had to still do cake, decorations, plates etc...

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #5 of 10

Only cause you asked...

I would never pay $300 for a b-day for my kid and 14 friends. But I'm also cheap icon_lol.gif If your clientle is the "shop @ nordstrom's" kind, I think they probably will. And just for your frame of reference, I live in the L.A. area.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 10

I think your pricing depends a lot on where you are located. I'm originally from NY and now I live in WV...the prices for just about everything vary widely between these two places. Your prices would be too high for where I live now, but would probably work for other places I've lived, know what I mean?

You might want to call around to some local birthday party venues and get an idea of what kids' parties run (bounce houses, chuck e cheese, gymnastics, parks, etc.). That might give you a better idea of what your competition is and what is reasonable for your area. Good luck - sounds like a fun idea!

Bec

txsteph Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 10

I am not the "shop @ Nordstoms " kind, but I do splurge when it comes to my kids b-days. Just one of my quirks that hubby hates LOL But there is background behind it .. I never got a real b-day party growing up since my b-day is Dec 20th, so I make it a point that they get good ones.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #8 of 10

The thing that I had thought of was similar, but making 6" square cakes, 1" high (so bake one 2" tall 6" square cake and torte it), do an edible image of a coloring page to match the theme of the party, different colors of icing in bags with tips, and they can "color" their own cake. And I would charge $15 per child (personally, charge what you can). Some parents don't want to have 15 kids at a party, you know?

KKC Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:10am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for responding because i so value your advice and opinions. I live in miami and almost eveything is high here. I don't know if i'd pay $300 for 15 kids but i have paid more for my sons party (about $1500) that had about 80 people, included bounce house, pony rides, animal petting farm, train ride, cotton candy, snow cone, pinata and not to mention the food,drinks,and other stuff. thats how much that stuff costs here.

I checked out this one site that charges about $325 for 15 kids and thats a basic pkg price. I'm just going to have to do some more research.

Mommyle, i agree 15 at a party is a bit much...do u think i should lower the kid minimum?

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:29am
post #10 of 10

We also paid $200 for 15 kids at an indoor jumping place. 1 hour to jump and 1 hour in party room. We had 2 helpers helping pass out pizza and drinks (not included in price). So $300 for what you are offering is great even if you charged extra for food and drinks or let them bring there own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%