Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 11 May 2009 , 6:44pm by mareg

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a 6,8,10,12,14 round wedding cake with medium size gumpaste roses going around the base of each tier. I have no idea how many I need to make. Does anyone have any idea how many roses would be needed for each tier? I want to make sure that I have enough. Thank you everyone!

5 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 6

My gumpaste roses are usually no more than three inches in diameter --probably closer to 2.5" Not sure if that is considered medium. Pictures of the last two batches are in my photos. How many you will need will depend on how large you intend to make your roses (what do you consider medium?) and the math will have to come after you make that determination. Either way, you are going to need a lot of them! icon_eek.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 6

Also consider if you are going to use any kind of "filler" material like leaves and tiny flowers. I just did a cake in those dimensions minus the 6", but with roses cascading all the way down. I used 35 roses in 1.25", 1.5", and 2.0", I did fill in with rose leaves and made tiny white flowers (on wires) with the smallest Wilton flower cutter. I wish I had the pics already to give you a better idea but it"ll be a week before the photographer gets them to me. HTH

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

you can use this http://www.onlineconversion.com/circlesolve.htm to see the circumference of each size round, just enter in the diameter of you round for example 6 and hit the "solve others" button next to it, this will give you the circumference of that round, then divide the circumference by the size of your medium size rose, so for example: circumference is 18in, width of rose is 1.5" the equation would be 18 / 1.5 = 12, so 12 would be the amount of roses needed for that round (although i'd make a couple extras of course). HTH

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

I did a 3 tier with roses around each base. I cant remember how many I had to make but I know I was sick of roses after a while. I remember I took the larges pan I was going to use and made enough roses and placed them around it, then placed the same roses around the smaller pans and counted. That gave me an idea of how many to make.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

The wilton cake "Across the threshold" Its on the cover of their wedding cake book. This is a 6, 10 and 14 round cake
they say to make 30 large, 23 med. and 17 small.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%