Crazy Idea - M&ms

Baking By clovely Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 2:37am by CookiezNCupcakez

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 17

What would happen if I baked a cake with M&Ms on the top as it bakes? I'm trying to come up with an idea for my daughter's class' end of the year party. They have a bunch of M&Ms left from another party; I've been holding this giant bag of M&Ms but the year's just about over. I was thinking of baking an 11x15 but, when I put the layers in the oven lining the top of the batter with M&Ms.

I want to put sugar cookie in the middle - I've been dying to try that. So I'm picturing cake, M&Ms, icing, sugar cookie, icing, M&Ms, cake layers.

Should I bake it with the M&Ms, would they melt in, or should I just line them along the layers after I bake it, when I stack it?

16 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 17

I don't think they would melt...or maybe just enough. Sorry I'm not much help but I would like to be in your daughter's classroom to taste that delicious m&m cake with sugar cookie filling.....my mouth just watered!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 17

I personally would bake the M&Ms in the cookie, not the cake. Or, I would crush them up and put them in the buttercream....like you would do for a cookies and cream filling.

I'd only put them in the buttercream you are using for filling, though.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 17

I would think the M&Ms would sink when baking ... they may not melt all the way, but some would probably crack and leak melted chocolate.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 17

I would tend to agree with cakemom77. I would bake them in the sugar cookie. If they just sit on top of the layer, the batter is probably going to want to "push" them around or up, as it rises and you might have a real mess on your hands. Your other option is to incorporate them into the batter like fun-fetti. I'm not sure how pretty the cut cake would look as they tend to want to leach their colors.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 17

agree - cakemom has some good ideas =)

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 17

I did a cake for my mom, and put m&m's attached to the bc all around the sides of the cake.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 17

mmmmm m&m's and cookies INBETWEEN the cakes!! i'd be a bit sorry for the teacher though (imagine the sugar rush?!!?)

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 17

I think they would at least melt partially. Years ago I worked at a pizza joint and we decided to make m&m topped pizza. They melted partially. I wouldn't think that the cake would come out anywhere near level. I would do it in the cookie or in the frosting like the previous suggestions.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #10 of 17

Well what do MMs do when you put them in cookies? I think they make it ok, except sometimes I think the coloring dulls or gets white spots, doesn't it? I don't know that it would be very pretty after they come out....?

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #11 of 17

uummm... speaking as teacher, I'd say... I feel sorry for the parents! We serve that good food at the VERY end of the day! Right before we send them back to you guys. icon_lol.gif

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 17

Yeah, I don't think they would melt... they are baked in cookies all the time and seem to be fine... Sounds pretty neat, I'm sure the kids would LOVE this cake.

So how do you do the cookies in the cake? I've never heard of this, do you bake cookies then put half the batter in the pan cookies then the rest of the batter? Not sure I understand! LOL!!

chassidyg Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 17

You bake the cookie in your round cake pan, and then do cake, bc, cookie, bc, cake, bc.

quote="chefjulie"]I love putting cookies inside my cake!!! People are always so surprised by how amazing it tastes icon_smile.gif Here's a pic of one of my cakes with a sugar cookie in the middle

Image[/quote]

chassidyg Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 17

WOOHOO it let me quote someone from another thread! this is chefjulies cake! the ones I made were eaten before I could get a pic of the inside of it!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 17

i really don't think putting the mms on top of the cake to bake would work out very well. you would have to wait until the cake it firm or they will sink to the bottom. you might try wax paper in the bottom of the pan and use a spring form pan. that's what i've done to put a carmel layer on top of my cakes. put the mms in the bottom and cake mix on top then flip it over, take off the pan and peel back the wax paper. that might work. i'm also pretty sure the mms will melt but still sounds tasty to me icon_smile.gif good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

about the cookie filling. i am trying that the first time this week on a small grad cap and am wondering what flavor cake the sugar cookie goes best with? it's only gonna be about a 4" cake. i am experimenting on the customer, lol. i can't find the thread discussing this. the one in the pic above looks soooooo good icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #16 of 17

I think the mms wil get a burnt taste if they are baked on the bottom. I have put them on top and let them sink, and it works better. Most wind up on bottom, but aren't there long enough to burn.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #17 of 17

I make m&m cookies all the time what I do is bake a chocolate chip cookie dough without the chips then when they come out of the oven I push some m&m's on the tops of them and they kinda sink in a 'lil very yummy icon_biggrin.gif I dont think baking them in the cake would be the best idea but try my cookie method on your cake ... I hope it helps lets us know how is all works out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%