Does Anyone Else Not Do Mother's Day?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm by KathysCC

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

"he should know her well enough to know what she really wants without her telling him". Seriously, how could you marry my brother and still think that? And I usually think the presents he picks are great.

Any woman who still believes this needs to read the "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" book. It explains it VERY well.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #32 of 34

I'm one of the "desperately wanted to be but never can be a Mom" .

Got married, he immediately changed from Jeckyl to Hyde. Wanted to at least have a child that I could love. Ten years later, escaped his abuse, after a miscarriage (due to all the stress) and a fist just inches from my face. Woohoo! Free to find a good man, settle down and have babies. Nope. Cervical cancer...radiation killed everything in that area. Cried for weeks everyday. Still do, when I think of it.

At the same time as I found that out, my sis announces she's pregnant. Just twist that knife even more, on top of saying that it's no big deal, you can always adopt, and even though your treatments are 5 min from your home, if you want ANY support from us, you have to move here (1.5 hrs from treatment hospital in the city).

Needless to say, Mother's Day is a crying day for me now, and I don't see my family in the same way anymore...don't want to celebrate it there, either. Too painful.

deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:22am
post #33 of 34

I have two beautiful children, but we don't celebrate mother's day...at least not on mother's day...my children are native american and have their ceremonies on the weekends in may with their dad...meaning my kids are with him on mothers day. I still go to their school events, my son's kindergarden class had a tea party this year, and my daughters preschool had a bbq, but on the day we don't do anything special. I do try to do it big on father's day, (their step-dad, also has a daughter). I've always been like that tho...let me do for you cuz I enjoy it...

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #34 of 34

Wow, this is very interesting! I thought I was the only one. I don't like Mother's day for many reasons.

I don't have my mother anymore and it just reminds me of that. She died when I was 20.

Having had past fertility issues, I am totally sympathetic to those who can't be moms and I know the hurt that day causes.

I am not one to be fawned over...I didn't even have a wedding because it would have killed me to be the center of attention. I just don't like being in the spotlight.

Also, Mother's Day has just become one of those holidays that people seem to throw money at. You have to buy cards or flowers. It has become commercialized. Every day should be mother's day in that you should treat her with honor and respect and help her when you can and if you are a mother, you should treasure the love of your kids every day. You are either close to your family or not...Mother's Day won't change that. The celebrations seem "forced" by a date on the calendar and companies wanting to sell you cards.

I like to buck the system whenever I can. icon_biggrin.gif No one is gonna tell me when I have to love my kids or mom or grandmother more!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can see the point of view of those who like to celebrate it because of tradition or true enjoyment, but for me, it's just not necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%