Cake For An Auction, Ideas Please.

Decorating By kellertur Updated 15 May 2009 , 4:58am by madgeowens

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 18

One of my cakes and a gift cert. will be auctioned off at a celebrity waiter dinner to benefit our Sexual Assault Crisis Center, and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to decorate it. The event's going to be somewhat high profile, so I'm a bit nervous...

I'd really like to do something creative and eye catching. The cake will not be tiered. (about 15-20 servings).

This is a cause I am extremely passionate about. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 18

Maybe a simple fondant covered cake with some scroll work painted on? I'm trying to think of things that are pretty, but not too labor intensive.

Does the Crisis center have some sort of a logo or slogan? Perhaps you could incorporate that somehow. My first thought was plain fondant with a gumpaste flower on top or a fondant bow.

Good luck! I would think a very interesting cake recipe and filling would be beneficial. It would give the auctioneer something to entice the crowd with, more than "ain't it pretty?!".

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 18

I am torn here. I want to say keep it simple but if I was doing it, I know that I definitely would not keep it simple. I would put some flowers on the top, perhaps use sotas to cover it (I always think this adds elegance). As mentioned before, use your flavor and filling to help entice bidders.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 18

How about a pillow cake? Neutral, cute, and has a "wow" factor.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 18

what about a tiffany present cake?

kellertur Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 18

Those are all great ideas. Thanks.

I had intended to go fancy with cake & icing flavors, I just haven't narrowed it down yet and am open to suggestions. My instinct as to go exotic, but I need it to be something that will appeal to most people yet not be boring.

I do like both the pillow and presents idea though...

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 18

I think a flavor that would appeal to a lot of people could be a simple white cake with lemon curd and raspberry mousse filling.

Or (I just learned of this recipe from SeriousCakes) chocolate cake with peanut butter fluff filling. A gourmet reese's cup!

Or a pina colada cake! White cake (or coconut or pineapple if you prefer) with a pineapple and coconut filling. I would toast the coconut, to intensify the flavor. You could throw in some mango or strawberry too.

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 18

My friend and I have done the "strawberry basket" cake that there are several of in the gallery for an auction before. We were actually told we had to make it again next year. Our version a rich yummy chocolate cake, strawberry filling and chocolate icing. Then the pirroutte cookies around it and lots and lots of chocolate covered strawberries on top. Something about chocolate and strawberries just seems decadent. Plus it's relatively simple to make. Hope this helps!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 18

I found this for you... thought I may be "theme appropriate" for your cake....

"Fear can keep us up all night long, but faith makes one fine pillow."--Philip Gulley

Would that make a nice placecard in front of the pillow cake??????

kellertur Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 18

How thoughtful! I love it!! That is perfect and not too "hitting people over the head", but still makes them think. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Does anyone have an idea how I can display this cake covered so that it can be seen but not be exposed to expectorate and dust, etc. while the auction is going on? If it were me, I'd want to receive a cake that was protected from spit, etc... but that's me. Any ideas?

Clear container that would still make cake visible to those a few feet away? icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 18

There have been 3--4 'zebra' cakes on CC lately that are knock-outs. Very eye catching and would get lots of attention, I'm sure.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 18

The pillow cake is a great idea. They key is to make it really detailed. If you are going to make a bow, then make sure it has a wow factor. Spend a lot of time doing the details. 15-20 servings isn't going to be a big cake so you can put a lot of time adding some pizzazz.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Does anyone have an idea how I can display this cake covered so that it can be seen but not be exposed to expectorate and dust, etc. while the auction is going on? Any ideas? icon_smile.gif

If you have a very pretty cake plate or pedestal with a clear dome that would be ideal. Then you could include the plate/dome as part of the package as well.

By the way, what is "sotas"??? I've been around the block a few times but have no idea what this is. icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 18

Sota piping is sort of like cornelli lace, except you just squirt it on the cake, allowing it to get messy.

As in this picture, made by khoudek
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-233833.html

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Sota piping is sort of like cornelli lace, except you just squirt it on the cake, allowing it to get messy.

As in this picture, made by khoudek
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-233833.html

Thank you, Nicci! I don't believe I've ever seen that and I've seen a LOT of cake pictures. That's a great technique to cover up a completely botched up buttercream job on the top of a cake. I've learned something new yet again here on CC!

Julie

kellertur Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #16 of 18

I decided to go with a delicious looking Dessert Torte. That way, it appeals to everyone and no particular celebration. Plus, I've been dying to make this cake again...

So, here is my vegan "Cookies N Creme" cake

Thanks for all the help. I'm very excited to be part of this auction/fundraiser. Can you think of anything more inportant than preventing child abuse, (any abuse), and sexual assault? I can't... icon_smile.gif
LL

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #17 of 18

What a great cause! I do a lot of cake auctions, mostly for Relay for Life (cancer fundraisers). I do auction off cake flavor, filling, and frosting of their choice, which is a huge hit! So what do they usually choose? White or chocolate -UGH!
For Valentine's Day, I auctioned off a fudgey "truffle cake" with kahlua soaking syrup, layered with kahlua chocolate/espresso cheesecake covered with chocolate ganache -that went over huge! The longer and tastier you make the descriptions make people's mouths water! Lots of times they are difficult to see, or not everyone walks around to see the auction item previews. I also bought some edible gold sheets to dab here and there on the chocolate to "go over the top" and make it more special, gourmet, and get more $$ icon_biggrin.gif
My local cake shop carries clear, round plastic tops, about 5" high with black plastic bases, similar to grocery store or wholesale club cake holders. They are cheap, clear, show the cake well, and don't break in transit. All you notice is the gorgeous cake, not the plastic, so it doesn't look like a cheap cake -especially decorated by you!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #18 of 18

I made a hat cake for school fair and they were fighting over it. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%