I Am Having An "i Hate People" Day.....

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:37am by patticakesnc

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 70

I did a cake for a customer. She is to get it Sat morning. She wanted to peek at a picture of it when I got done. So I just sent it to her. She is nit picking about EVERYTHING. I only charged her $40 because I wanted the picture. It cost me MUCH more than that to make the thing. I am so upset.

Here is the cake. I know it isn't perfect, but I really worked hard on it and she is expecting a $40 cake in "buttercream" with fondant accents is going to look exactly like the real purse.

I just want to throw the cake out the back door, curl up in a corner and cry!
LL

69 replies
tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 70

SHE doesn't deserve cake! IT looks too good for just $40! She has to be out of her mind to complain. I love it!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 70

Thats a beautiful cake. Don't let her get to you, some people are just like that.

I'd simply respond to her "Dear ? since you requested a cake in buttercream with fondant accents there is no way to achieve a 'realistic' look for the purse design. Had you purchased and paid for a cake covered in fondant you would have gotten a more realistic look. At this point there is nothing else that I as the decorator can do to the cake. I appreciate your understanding and your business.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 70

Your cake is great. I'm not sure what she could be expecting. If it were me I would refuse to give it to her. I'd be sitting back with a big cup of coffee and a bigger piece of cake!!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 70

I hate people too!

That cake is great and worth a whole lot more than $40. Throw her out the back door instead and let's eat that fantastic cake! icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 70

I don't see one thing wrong with your cake! You did a really good job with it....I don't mind saying it, but I have had "I hate people days too" There are times you can't do a stinking thing to make someone happy....
I had a woman order a cake one time, and all she said was "I want it pink and red....I don't care how you do it" I tried my best to get out of her exactly what she wanted, but she said for me to take care of it...She trusted me.....I did a soft pink then made some pink and red flowers...She paid for it, and said she liked it...Ten minutes later she came back to the shop, and whined "I can't take this to my mother.....It's PINK"
She was almost crying....I gave her a refund, and asked her to not order from me again.....Do you know, I had someone come in after her, they saw the cake, and said it was gorgeous, and they bought it.....
People can be such pigs....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Thats a beautiful cake. Don't let her get to you, some people are just like that.

I'd simply respond to her "Dear ? since you requested a cake in buttercream with fondant accents there is no way to achieve a 'realistic' look for the purse design. Had you purchased and paid for a cake covered in fondant you would have gotten a more realistic look at a cost to you of $1,842*. At this point there is nothing else that I as the decorator can do to the cake. I appreciate your understanding and your business.

*(or whatever your regular price would have been! icon_rolleyes.gif )

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 70

I am with Tammy on that one!!!

I think your purse cake looks great. I completely understand on the time required, they take awhile. I have only done two purse cakes and those took me forever plus the cost of making it. Lucky for me Im not a professional, and just bake for friends and family and they are always so thankful and nice.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #9 of 70

I think I need to send her an email and ask her what exactly her problem is.

Goodness. Great cake. Almost free. icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #10 of 70

TY all, you have made me feel much better. That scary thing is I have a cupcake tower to do tomorrow for her mother for the same party on Sat! Hopefully that one will be smooth sailing.

Debi: I have no idea what I should charge. I know that carved cakes are expensive but I don't consider myself that advanced so for that cake I would probably charge about $100 for all fondant.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #11 of 70

I m currently working on my first purse cake . I hope mines looks as great as yours. Dont let her get to you. You did a great job !!!

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #12 of 70

I have those days every day, it seems.

That cake for 40$ is a steal. Tell her to shove it up her a**, then put her on you 'no cake for you, ever' list

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:52am
post #13 of 70

icon_eek.gif What does she not like? icon_confused.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I'd simply respond to her "Dear ? since you requested a cake in buttercream with fondant accents there is no way to achieve a 'realistic' look for the purse design. Had you purchased and paid for a cake covered in fondant you would have gotten a more realistic look at a cost to you of $1,842*. At this point there is nothing else that I as the decorator can do to the cake. I appreciate your understanding and your business.

You like that price don't chya!!! You crack me up!!

Justbeck101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #15 of 70

You cake is beautiful! she is crazy. Ask her, if she can do it so much better, then why did she come to you? I hate it when they act like know it alls.
People make me mad!! I am usually having an "I hate people day". Sometimes it is an "I hate cake day...."

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

icon_eek.gif What does she not like? icon_confused.gif

She wants baby phat piped on the pink real tiny (can't do it..not enough showing to do it on I told her). She wants the handle different. I will agree that I am not 100% in love with the handle either but I had a hell of a time with that thing. She wants more rhinestones on it (which she didn't pay for the ones I do have on it...those I threw in for free). I am going to try to "neaten up" the handle, but she is putting the pic next to the acutal purse pic.

I get it that it isn't just like the actual purse. The handle on the original I did try and try to make it look like it but I couldn't get that thing on the gold rings to save my life.

Here is a side by side. I think it is close enough to see it and say "hey that is like the such and such baby phat purse". You can identify it.
LL

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

You like that price don't chya!!! You crack me up!!

LMAO...I love to get on and see what Debi has said. If I see she posted on a thread I have to click on it just to see her comments...she cracks me up too....I LOVE blunt people!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #18 of 70

Gotta tell ya Patty - I can't believe she's fussing about that cake. It looks awesome to me (and I'm not just blowing smoke up thy butt either). If I didn't think so, I'd click out and go to another thread...but seriously, the lady has some issues and will probably never be happy with anything. In other words....PLEASE DON'T REFER HER TO ME! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

I have those days every day, it seems.

That cake for 40$ is a steal. Tell her to shove it up her a**, then put her on you 'no cake for you, ever' list

Yup.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting the pic you posted to look as nice as I would expect in buttercream only. Kudos, cuz you pulled it off damn well! I wouldn't have done it in the first place knowing BC just can't be used to pull off realistic looking carved cakes like those. You did a far better job than I ever could have...so I think YOU deserve to eat that cake yourself and she can go to Walmart and carve out a cake herself. She can lay out one of her purses on top of it and trace around it. Then go get a can o' frosting from the cake mix aisle. She should have a ball!! icon_twisted.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #20 of 70

And that's exactly why she wanted a pic of the cake as soon as it was done. To knitpick at it and try to get you to reduce the price. She wouldn't touch that cake for less than $75 if she were buying it from me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #21 of 70

IMO, the cake looks better than the actual purse!

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #22 of 70

I just showed the side by side pic to my hubby (cake muggle) and he said it looks damn close. I don't know what she was expecting for $40 and not fondant covered. I think it looks great!!! usaribbon.gif

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #23 of 70

WHAT!!!!! The cake is fabulous, she a out of her friggin mind... and on top of that it was buttercream and it looks that goodicon_eek.gif . That cake is not worth $40... at least $100 bucks for the supplies and not to mention labor and thrown in another $50 because she is a PITA!!!!

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #24 of 70

i cant believe she is being picky about that cake! there is absolutly nothing wrong with it, and for 40 dollars i would barely give her a sheet cake. in fact, for a frozen peice of crap about 9 x 13 at my local grocery store is $27.00!! i wouldnt hesitate to tell her where to go. icon_razz.gif
ive dealt with so many people like that working in retail, it has nothing to do with you, some people you just cant please. icon_mad.gif i could keep you entertained for days with horror stories!

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #25 of 70

Ok I shouldn't have but I did. I changed the handle. I couldn't figure how to get it to stand up on the rings so I have it laying down. Here is the redo.
LL

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #26 of 70

I blame cake shows. People see ace of cakes and think well everyones cake should look like that. I wish they would put the prices after the cakes, then people would realize why those cakes look like that they cost a 1,000+

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #27 of 70

patticakesnc, your cake is gorgeous. icon_biggrin.gif

Wished I lived nearby, I'd be there with $41.00 cash in hand, to steal that cake away from your unappreciative customer! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Justbeck101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Ok I shouldn't have but I did. I changed the handle. I couldn't figure how to get it to stand up on the rings so I have it laying down. Here is the redo.

Now tell her it will be an additional $15 since she wanted it different from what you produced.

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:54am
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

patticakesnc, your cake is gorgeous. icon_biggrin.gif

Wished I lived nearby, I'd be there with $41.00 cash in hand, to steal that cake away from your unappreciative customer! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

LMAO....Too funny. After all that I would give it to you for $39 Jan... icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #30 of 70

How far are you from Raleigh? I'm in the mood for some nice tasting cake that I don't have to make myself. I'll even tip ya!!

If I were you I'd also sit back with a nice cup of Joe and have myself a nice big honkin' piece of purse cake! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%