Need Instructions On Chocolate Drizzle Effect!!!

Decorating By tmcakes Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:23pm by mbt4955

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 6

Can some one please explain to me (in detail) how I could achieve the "chocolate drizzle" look, I see a lot on grooms cake.
I have tried this a few times on pound cakes and it always looks horrible. icon_eek.gif Seems like the chocolate always "pool" at the bottom of the cake. icon_mad.gif what am I doing wrong? What recipe would you suggest I use?

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but if you check my photos you would know what I'm reffering to.

As far as I know this can be done many ways.

I first melt my chocolate chips and then I add a bit of shortening to thin it out (to a liquidy consistency). I pop it up in the microwave for a bit, just to melt/soften the shortening. Once I get my desired consistency, I then put it in a strong ziploc bag, I cut a really really small hole on the tip and then I pipe the chocolate on the top edges of the cake and let it drizzle slowly to the sides. Once the sides are done, I fill in the center with the same chocolate/shortening mixture and spread it with a spatula.

I usually place the cake on top of a smaller pan or whatever you have handy so the chocolate will drizzle off the cake.

I remember my boyfriend telling me that he saw a book where the chocolate is melted on a certain temperature so that it turns into a really liquid state.

Some people use chocolate/heavy whipping cream mixture to make ganache.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, thats the look I am speaking about! I guess the trick is to get the chocolate the right consistancy! Maybe thats really what Im needing help with! Thanks for the info, I will try it again and hopefully it comes out a lot better than before.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, consistency is the key. My first one was really really thick and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to be.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

This website might help. She even has a little video showing how she does it.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-first-how-to-demonstration-drizzles.html

HTH

Judi

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

I use ganache and let it cool just a little bit so that it is fairly thick. I have found that a squeeze bottle works best for me - found in the candy aisle at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I have more control and can usually end up with all of my chocolate on the cake and not pooled on the plate. You can also set your cake on a cooling rack before you do the chocolate. Whatever would have ended up on the plate will be underneath the rack and can be used again. Just do your chocolate before you pipe your border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%