Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #121 of 887

icon_redface.gif Well thank you! I'm honored! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #122 of 887

OK -back from Meijer with a brand new cake stuff dedicated heating pad! I just did a bow impression mat on the heating pad WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! The gelatin is completely even across the whole sheet!! THANK YOU BWB!!!

Now, on the other hand, I thought it would work out for the butterflies too....not so much. They worked better NOT on the heating pad.

Now I have to patiently wait for it to dry to see how nice the bow strips turn out!!!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #123 of 887

OK. At the risk of sounding quite stupid, What is a heating pad? What is it normally used for?

Here is a picture of my first gelatin bow. I am ordering mats today to try to make it easier. I have been practicing on the meantime on anything I have around with a texture on it! Maybe by the time I get the mats I will be much better.
LL

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:48pm
post #124 of 887

You all make me laugh, We are like a bunch of addicts for sure. Gotta have the latest gadget that works. Hehehehehehehe..................

Loucinda Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #125 of 887

SharonK - that bow is beautiful!!! I LOVE that color too - we had cake club last night and one of our members made sheets of the gelatin so each of the members could make one.....that peach was one of them, but someone (twingirls05....) got to it before me! icon_razz.gif

You did a GREAT job on that - what did you use for the texture on it?

OK - heating pad....go to the pharnacy department and look where the ankle/wrist braces and stuff like that are heating pads will be really close by. You use them on sore muscles! (they are literally a pad that stays a constant temperature - you plug them into an outlet!)

When I used it - I set mine on a cooling rack (so air could circulate under it) then put a piece of wax paper on top of the heating pad - then the impression mat. I turned it on high - it wasn't warm enough on the 2 lower settings. It kept the gelatin in a nice liquid state - not completely liquid, just right - until I took it off the heating pad. It is gonna work out great!

My name is Cindy - my drug of choice (right now) is gelatin.......

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #126 of 887

Too funny Cindy I'm laughing here!!!!!!!

SharonK1973 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #127 of 887

Lou...Thanks for answering my clueless question! I guess I am headed to walmart or walgreens for a heating pad!

You wouldn't believe what I used for that texture! Shelf liner from IKEA!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #128 of 887

Thank you...this is awesome!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #129 of 887

Wow, SharonK...that bow was awesome!

I know I have an old heating pad around here somewhere--hehehe...hope no one sprains anything in the near future! LOL

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #130 of 887

do people eat these bows? I would imagine not as there would be no taste eh?

Loucinda Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #131 of 887

You COULD eat them if you wanted to (unflavored gelatin and water)....I have heard that Diane and Michaelle are working on a recipe to have them flavored - not sure if that will be in their book or not.

BTW - you cannot use jell-o it has to be PLAIN-UNFLAVORED gelatin. NO sugar. The reason being is the sugar makes things all sticky and it doesn't work out well. (just passing this info on)

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #132 of 887

Ok, here's a question. Once the gelatin is set up, which doesn't take very long, can you take it off & set it on some plastic wrap or wax paper to finish drying? I'm not sure that would be possible to manage w/ the thin stuff for the bows (although it would be great if it did!), but I have a use for some thicker stuff, & that would save some time...

Loucinda Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #133 of 887

After it has set - you can take it out of the bowl - (I do, and I put mine in a ziploc bag to store it). You will have to see how well it will dry though - I am not sure it would completely dry before it grew things???

You can't remove the bows, flowers, butterflies from the sheets until they are completely dry - I have tried and it ruins them.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #134 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by idjitmom

Ok, here's a question. Once the gelatin is set up, which doesn't take very long, can you take it off & set it on some plastic wrap or wax paper to finish drying? I'm not sure that would be possible to manage w/ the thin stuff for the bows (although it would be great if it did!), but I have a use for some thicker stuff, & that would save some time...

It takes 4 to 6 hours at least for just the butterflies to set up. I let them set overnight. It's not like making Jell-O where that does set up quickly. It's done when it peels itself away from the mat, not before. So in light of that, the way you are describing it would ruin them, not save time. That's why I bought two kits because I like a LOT of butterflies (as you can see from my pix!) icon_lol.gif You can also buy the mats individually. Hope that makes sense! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #135 of 887

Oops....I thought she was asking about the gelatin in a bowl - NOT made into the butterflies/bows. (I pop mine out of the bowl and store it in the ziploc bag in the big "lump" that it forms after it just sets in the bowl) Then when I have time, I remelt it and paint it onto the mats.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #136 of 887

Oh, maybe she is! icon_redface.gif It's hard to keep all the questions and comments straight when I fly through them at warp speed! icon_lol.gif Well I hope my comments can help SOMEONE! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #137 of 887

I guess I'll just add that it takes less than two minutes to whip up a batch of the gelatin mixture, color it and make it ready to work with, so I just do it when I need it. No need to risk making a science experiment! icon_biggrin.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #138 of 887

Is it just mine, or does everyone else's smell terrible when its being melted? Which shouldn't be a surprise considering what gelatin is made of.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #139 of 887

Yep, it stinks! But if you're in a well ventilated area you cannot smell it.

Loucinda Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #140 of 887

I am odd one out on the smell - I can't smell it! (although those who live here tell me they can!)

I LOVE that heating pad trick, it works soo good.

I never have the "time slots" to get all of mine done in one shot - I have had several times where the gelatin has firmed back up and has to be reheated to use.

Another FYI - you can use a tart burner (and I think one of those electric coffee cup warmers would work too??) to keep the gelatin in a liquid state while using it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #141 of 887

You know it's funny, it not only stinks but it tastes TERRIBLE!! When I did the teal butterfly cake (in my pix) I told them "don't eat the butterflies, they are edible but they don't taste good." So the gal took them home and some guys at the party thought they were the tasty blue Jello and boy were they in for a rude awakening! icon_lol.gif Well hey, she told them -- don't eat the butterflies! icon_biggrin.gif

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #142 of 887

This wonderful. Thank you so much for your instructions.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #143 of 887

Yay, I'm so excited...I finally ordered my sheets. How long should I expect to wait before I get these? I can't wait to play too icon_biggrin.gif

I let one of my baking friends know about this. It just so happened that she had a Tuckerman's Ravine cake to make last weekend. Well she was so excited to try making a gelatin waterfall. She showed me pics and it came out great! I guess she just crinkled up foil and applied the gelatin with a spoon in the shape of a waterfall. So many uses, so little time!!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #144 of 887

Can't wait to try it! And thank you to everyone who teaches us such amazing things! I never would have dreamed this up in a million years! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #145 of 887

The electric coffee cup warmer works like a charm!! I now have the cup warmer AND the heating pad plugged in for my addiction. I am one hot momma with this stuff now, I am tellin' ya!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am working on a new one - it is different from the others I have done! I'll post it tomorrow.

I LOVE this place and all the fun we have sharing!!!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #146 of 887

I bought gelatin tonight. I just got home from work a few hours ago. I mixed the stuff up with blue coloring (yes it DOES stink! UGH!) and I spread it out on my son's plastic sesame street placemat. I dont have anything else to really put it on so it wont be all pretty and textured but at least it gives me something to play with. icon_smile.gif If I can make a pretty bow Ill post a photo. icon_smile.gif

I was daydreaming about this all day. Thinking about making stained glass windows and car windshields and pretty butterfly wings. Every time I hear of a new trick I just have to try it. lol.

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #147 of 887

OK - this one is made with my brand new impression mat set from Cake Connection. It took 3 sheets of gelatin to make this one. It is HUGE. It is beautiful though!! It is going on a graduation cake - colors are orange and black. I actually cut the sheets for this bow lengthwise - and made the loops from those - I wanted to see how big I could get it and I am thinking no one will ever need a bow to be any bigger than this!! icon_eek.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369310&done=1

Not sure if you can see, but the gelatin is all nice and uniform in this bow - those new tricks really work great!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #148 of 887

These are fantastic!! thumbs_up.gif How do you get the numerous colors on the flowers and butterflies? Thanks for the instruction.

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #149 of 887

You can color them several different ways. You can color the gelatin itself while it is in the liquid state, or you can use a tiny paintbrush (use airbrush colors or thin regular gel colors with vodka) or you can use the edible markers.

The important thing about painting the dry gelatin is to make sure it doesn't get too wet - it will dissolve if it does.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #150 of 887

Thanks for the info!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%