Ready To Frost

Decorating By lmpreis Updated 7 May 2009 , 6:24pm by lmpreis

lmpreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 14

I made two sheets cakes a couple days ago and froze them. Then last night I took them out of the freezer and gave them a crumb coating. This morning I was going to decorate them but the frosting is still wet. Do I wait to frost them when the frosting is dry? I'm not sure the timeframe that they need to thaw out til I frost/decorate them.

Separate problem:
When I have frosted a double layers cake I've had the problem with the frosting starting to fall off. I can only think of two things it might be. 1) the frosting is too think. 2) I have put too much filling in and then it settled cause it to push the frosting out....Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
LE

13 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 14

The crumb coat should be crusted before you do the final frosting. If you are using a crusting BC it should be more then dry by this morning. Is your crumb coat a very thin layer?

As far as the frosting falling off it sounds like it could be too thick. You can thin it a little with some light corn syrup.

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 14

I was thinking that I put a thin coat of BC on...maybe it is too thick.

Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 14

What BC recipe are you using?

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 14

A recipe that we got from an instructor from the Wilton Classes. It's excellent! I get so many complements off of it.

milk
crisco
vanilla
butter flavoring
almond flavoring
merigue powder
powdered sugar

...don't have the exact measurements in front of me.

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 14

Does it usually crust for you? Do you have a lot humidity where you live? Maybe that is affecting it.

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 14

I only live about 2 hours from you. humidity..not really.

I did do it about 10:00 last night. I am going to go check it. Maybe I should've done earlier last night but I was too busy machine embrodiering.

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 14

Nope it's still not completely crusted over. How long does it normally take?

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 14

It only takes about 15 minutes to crust. What is your sugar to fat ratio in the recipe?

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 14

The Wilton BC recipe should have crusted over in 15 minutes or less. I use it all the time. I let my cakes thaw completely so that the outside is not damp/moist before I put the crumb coat on them. I have noticed that if I don't take my cakes out of the pans quickly enough and they "sweat", it is difficult to get the frosting to hold and it will try to fall off the cake during the icing process. However, once I have the frosting on the cake and smoothed, it doesn't fall off.

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 14

I took cakes out of the freezer at 6:00 this morning and crumb coated them at 7:30 and they were crusted before 8:00 when I left for work. If it isn't the recipe (fat to sugar ratio) I don't have a clue. A lot of people crumb coat frozen cakes with no problems.

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 14

Ok so they are still not crusted over It's mainly the center. What do I do now? Should I go ahead and just frost them...I want to do it right. I can see if the cake had some height, I shouldn't frost them but do you think it will matter with sheet cakes?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 14

Were your cakes still frozen when you did the crumb coat? I have been filling & crumb coating my bottom tier (14-16") while the cakes are still frozen because I can't seem to get the top layer on without it breaking. I have found that the crumb coat sometimes stays "wet" (definitely not crusting) in the middle of the cake. I haven't had any problem with the final icing sticking.

lmpreis Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #14 of 14

The cakes were still frozen when i did the crumb coating. It's suppose to be right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%