Possibly A Silly Question, But Need Your Help!

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 7 May 2009 , 3:30am by jolie1977

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

I have chosen a cake I'd like to make that has gumpaste roses attached to the sides of the cake... I've never attached anything that heavy before and normally use vanilla extract or water as my glue to attach fondant or gumpaste pieces to my cakes.

Should I use toothpicks to stick the roses into the side of the cake or is there a better way??? I'm so sorry but I'm new to this and am really clueless to some things....

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Joline

7 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 8

I've used toothpics and they've worked well. If you choose to use this method, make sure you tell the recipient so no one has a mishap.

Sandy

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not sure..do you mean a tier cake and they will be on the ledge and cascading down the cake side? I haven't done this, but this should give you a bump. Good luck!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, you can use toothpicks, depending on how large the roses are....some people also prefer using royal icing, that will dry quite hard and hold real well too. However, if I usually choose that method only if they are resting on the board too. If they are halfway up the cake side, I might opt for toothpicks. Be sure to make people aware they are there! icon_wink.gif

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 8

I would probably go overboard & use both - royal icing & toothpicks - just becuase I'd want to be certain they stay in place! If you do do just toothpicks & you're going to be trasnporting it, & the flowers have much weight to them, I would wait till you got to wherever you're going to place them, I would be paranoid that the jostling while transporting would wiggle the toothpicks loose and ruin the finish/tear the fondant/send the flowers tumbling...

jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

They're more like rosebuds VS full size roses and they go all around the cake, not touching the cake board... if I use Royal Icing, do I just support the roses with something until it dries? How do I keep them from "sliding" down the cake? ;o)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 8

I would use toothpicks on an angle.

jolie1977 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! What would I do without CC!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%