I Put It In The Fridge...did I Ruin It?!

Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 7 May 2009 , 5:03am by julzs71

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 9

I baked a cake last night, 16 inch square, and then realized it wouldn't fit in the freezer. I left it on the board, wrapped it in saran, and stuck it in the fridge. It is for a party on Saturday. I have another layer to bake. Will this layer be dry? Do I need to start over? What should be my next step? I will crumb coat tonight if I don't need to start over...

TIA!!!

Oh, its from a mix. And I read on Baking911.com DO NOT REFRIGERATE! I want the cake to taste good, but I'm on a major time crunch.

Thanks again!

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 9

Why don't you cut the cake in half? You are going to cover it and no one would ever know since you are going to cover it in buttercream or fondant.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have an answer, but I know you really need someone who knows to respond. I've had the same problem, so I'll tag along and see what kind of advice you get.

Good luck!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 9

definitely would frost tonight to seal in moisture. I always leave my cakes uncovered on the counter overnight, frost the next day and have never had a problem. People rave about my moist cakes (I bake from scratch) so I wouldn't do over, JMHO

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 9

There is no reason not to refrigerate a cake. What brand says that? If you have it sealed good it will stay just fine and not dry out. If air can get to it it will start to dry out.

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 9

RylanTy,

I thought of this last night but I've never done that before and the other cakes to stack on top I baked and froze on Sunday. So I was also afraid of support issues and all. Now that the cake has been in the fridge since last night, what do I do? Are you suggesting to freeze it now? What about the stability?

Kim,

It's not a brand but I was searching online for an answer. Here is the link for info regarding storing unfrosted cakes.
http://www.baking911.com/pantry/storage_baked_goods.htm#cakes

Thanks, guys.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Kim, not to get off topic, but did you find those decorating classes I told you about in Cliffside Park?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 9

I don't think there willl be any support issues because I've seen those half round pans that I assume are made for even baking on larger scale cakes or maybe its made for people who have small ovens but wants a big cake. So I am guessing that it wouldnt be an issue.

As for freezing the cake now, I personally don't think there is something wrong freezing it since you just baked it last night. I don't know what you mean about stability but I don't see how freezing it now would affect it.

Good luck with your cake.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Why don't you cut the cake in half? You are going to cover it and no one would ever know since you are going to cover it in buttercream or fondant.

I think this is smart. That's what I would do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%