I Have Real Newbie Question About Templates And Patterns....

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 6 May 2009 , 9:37pm by confectioneista

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #1 of 8

ok no I know some of you more experienced decorates are going to get a chuckle out of this....so bear with me....
I was lookin through the gallery with paterns and templates and saw some pretty cool things BUT no here is the funny part...How do you use them? lol. Like the fonts for example and some of the scroll designs?
Thanks for helping me out I'm sooo excited to learn as much as possible...the more I get into it it just seems like the options and techniques are limitless!!!

Thanks,
Ashley

7 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 8

Must ahve posted this at a bad time last night...just because I couldn't sleep doesn't mean everyone else couldn't!...I'll try for round 2!

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 8

okay what patterns? Are you talking about scroll work on a cake?

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 8

You can use them in a couple of ways: one way is to lay the template on a fondant-covered cake and pin-prick the design onto the cake, then pipe over the pin-pricks. The other way would be to lay parchment paper over the template and pipe the design using RI, then when the RI dries, just lift off of the parchment paper and place on your cake. HTH

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 8

I've never done it with royal icing - sounds easy!! I'll have to try that one! I trace the outline (on the parchment paper) with piping gel and then just flip and slightly press on your dry cake. Then just outline and fill in smooth or with star tips*.

confectioneista Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferOrtiz

I've never done it with royal icing - sounds easy!! I'll have to try that one! I trace the outline (on the parchment paper) with piping gel and then just flip and slightly press on your dry cake. Then just outline and fill in smooth or with star tips*.

The trick with RI is to make sure it's really dry and there are no "weak" spots otherwise your design will break, but if you outline a pattern like a paisley and then flood it with RI, let it dry - VOILA, a cool design icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks this helps a lot!!!
Now do you do that with the different fonts as well??? Or how do you get the cool fonts on to your cake?

confectioneista Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 8

You can do the fonts the same way - pin prick or you can do it the way Jennifer suggested. If you use the piping gel (you'd probably want to use clear gel), just print out your words backwards so that when you flip the parchment over with the gel onto your cake the words come out frontwards - if that makes sense. Or, you can get font cutters and make your letters out of gumpaste. They have some really cool ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%