Cake Sketches

Decorating By splash2splat Updated 7 May 2009 , 1:15am by Doug

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 20

So many of you have amazing cake - and I often wonder how many of you start with a sketch and how did you learn to sketch or design cake designs of your own? Thank you for your help

19 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 20

I always start with a sketch... I picked up the habit in culinary school as we had to do it for every cake, display, and plated dessert. I'm not particularly good at it, by any means. It's more to get a sense of design, color and layout, it doesn't need to be a fine art piece.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 20

I sketch also, thats how I plan before I make. I sketch it out then write on the side what colors, type of icing, and things like dowls or sps, sizes. That helps me shop and keeps me organized.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 20

I definitely work off of a sketch. Like another poster said in culinary school you had to sketch out your plate designs in most pastry classes so I still do that with my cakes. I do it because it helps if the person who wants the cake can see the design and it gives you a visual shopping list at the same time. I paint as a hobby so it's actually one of my favorite parts of making a cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 20

I always sketch my important cakes out first.

And I use graph paper, the largest I can find (I get really big stuff at Blick Art Supply - I can draw a full-sized cake with it), because that way I can keep everything within proportion to each other.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 20

shameless self promotion.....

and if you look in the sketches & patterns & templates gallery --

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

there's all kinds of predrawn shapes to print out and use.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 20

I'm the odd man out, I never sketch -- I cannot draw worth beans!! icon_lol.gif I do, however, get design ideas in my head and occasionally I work up a dummy cake which helps me see the pros and cons of the various designs. I also have on occasion asked Doug to sketch me up something (the outline of the cake proper) and then I doodle with my colored pencils but that never looks quite right to me. icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

shameless self promotion.....

and if you look in the sketches & patterns & templates gallery --

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

there's all kinds of predrawn shapes to print out and use.

I have been neglecting you for awhile, so I'll say this again for old times sake...

Doug is the MAN!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #9 of 20

I can't draw worth beans either so I start off with a template I make on MS Publisher. From there I sketch on it or use Photo Shop to do the designs and colors. It really helps me visualize what I'm doing. If you look in my pics, there is a teddy bear shower cake with the drawing and the finished cake. Hope this helps.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #10 of 20

Oh! Go to your Word program, and in the add shapes and stuff box, you can insert three dimensional squares and circles. Play around with them, and you can get a stacked cake going...a blank, ready to doodle on template! I usually doodle on these during consults. It's a start anyways, usually go to a totally blank piece of paper, but it's a good way to see how something can progress as far as a general starting out point.

__Jamie__ Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #11 of 20

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307516

This is by Doug, who just posted a link to the sketch gallery....looks like he did it the way I was referring to...right, Doug? Or you are a Publisher user, huh?

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #12 of 20

I always do a rough sketch so I can work out what colours and what I visualize it in my head to look like when done.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 20

thank you all for your help!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 20

I always have a sketch so that there's no mistaking how the end cake should look! I also want the customer to have some idea of what the cake will look like, as well. When the customer is describing something to me, I sketch it out and ask them to confirm that that's what they meant. Often the picture in the customer's head is NOT the same as the picture in my head. A sketch helps make sure they get what they want. I'm always tickled when they say something like, "It looks JUST like the picture!!" Duh! Did you want something else? icon_surprised.gif)

__Jamie__ Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I always have a sketch so that there's no mistaking how the end cake should look! I also want the customer to have some idea of what the cake will look like, as well. When the customer is describing something to me, I sketch it out and ask them to confirm that that's what they meant. Often the picture in the customer's head is NOT the same as the picture in my head. A sketch helps make sure they get what they want. I'm always tickled when they say something like, "It looks JUST like the picture!!" Duh! Did you want something else? icon_surprised.gif)

Ditto!! I fax back and forth and email until every last detail is agreed upon....especially that sketch!

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 20

I always sketch too! I have drawings all over my cupboards of cakes I am working on, lol! I do the same thing as some other people where I also mark down the dowels, sizes, flavorings, etc....whatever can help me remember what I was originally thinking. Then I use this as a base and usually end up adding or taking away different aspects once I see them on the cake.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 20

I meant that I hang the drawings on my cupboards icon_smile.gif...I don't actually draw on the cupboards themselves, lol!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 20

Only when I'm doing a tiered/wedding cake, I will make a quick drawing of the tiers...showing stacked/separated etc., make a note of size,flavor and filling, add a note regarding style of decorating....ribbon...swags..what ever...all in black and white...more of a 'stick figure'! I don't ever consider putting how many flowers I will make...or how many dowel sticks I need.... I guess I am more of a 'how does it look as I am doing it' decorator/designer.....even if I am working from a picture someone gave me or that I find on the net....things NEVER come out exactly as shown! I couldn't duplicate one of my cakes no less someone else's!
When I'm doing party cakes I will list the size, flavor, shape, theme....and when I'm ready to decorate that is when I finish 'designing' so to say. Since I have a lot of long time customers, they often give me free reign on the final design, and I may have the order on the books for some time until I get a picture 'in my minds eye' of what I want to do! Anybody else wake up in the middle of the night with "I got it" when you are thinking about a cake!

Cakedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakedeb Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:15pm
post #19 of 20

Just my two-cents worth...I love to make a sketch for all the same reasons others have explained. AND IF its for a close friend/family I sometimes will give them the original sketch in a frame. Some brides love the idea of such a personalized gift. I can always make a copy of it for my own info. for future brides.
Cakedeb

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307516

This is by Doug, who just posted a link to the sketch gallery....looks like he did it the way I was referring to...right, Doug? Or you are a Publisher user, huh?

publisher -- you can save it directly as a .jpg for uploading

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%