What Is The Best Fondant To Use?

Decorating By Stefy Updated 26 Sep 2013 , 1:14am by The Chippy

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 24

We're making a graduation cake for my niece and I want to use the best quality fondant. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stef

23 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 24

If price isn't an option, Fondarific is probably the best tasting commercial fondant. It's expensive though. You can make an AWESOME homemade fondant with Michele Foster's recipe on CC. You could also use good flavorings in MMF. Lorann is awesome.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 24

Choco-pan is also very good. I would definitely use Fondarific or choco-pan, those 2 are by far the best tasting fondant I have ever tasted.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 24

Michele Foster's Terrific Fondant for sure. Delicious and easy to make. If you don't mind spending a little extra $, the Satin Ice fondant is an excellent product, too

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 24

I have used several different brands (not Fondarific, will hafta check it out) and I prefer Satin Ice for overall consistency and workability. It doesn't taste bad either. Hated Pettinice, weird taste.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 24

I like satin ice as well. I got a 20lb bucket today for 49$. That isn't much more expensive than what it costs to make it icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 24

I made MFF last night for the first time and let it rest til today. I put it on a cake, had some problems working with it but not too bad. Can't wait to taste it tomorrow at the 1st Communion I am bringing it to. My question is, can I add any flavoring to MFF when I am making it? If I can, what do I omit or use in place of?

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #8 of 24

I think FondX is GREAT.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #9 of 24

I just bought my first Satin ice (black, white and red) and they taste great, have a great smooth consistancy and are just so much easier to work with. I have done MMF and Micheles and I like them both but Satin Ice is SOOOO worth it!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #10 of 24

I suggest you use Jennifer dontz's semi homemade recipe. It worth everything!

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 24

I started making mmf first. I like the flavor, I use almond,vanilla and butter flavors in mine. My kids love it too. the workability of it was fine. Then I tried SatinIce and WOW! That is great quality to work with. So smooth and soft and just feels great in your fingers. BUT for taste I give it an F. It is nasty. My kids call it Playdough. And now they always ask if it is the playdough fondant before they sneek a piece off the counter. So I pretty much just use it for decorations that I know people will not be eating. It is great for that! It is a great product, I just bought a tub of black SatinIce and I know I am gonna love it. Just don't eat it!!
Personally, I think those people who say SatinIce tastes fine are the same people who ate the paste and playdough in kindergarten. Just sayin... icon_razz.gif

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUUMEME

Personally, I think those people who say SatinIce tastes fine are the same people who ate the paste and playdough in kindergarten. Just sayin... icon_razz.gif

icon_lol.gif I don't know about that...I ate playdough and I hate the taste of SatinIce. icon_razz.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I like as well. I got a 20lb bucket today for 49$. That isn't much more expensive than what it costs to make it icon_smile.gif

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:16am
post #14 of 24

I never ate paste or playdough...and of course marshmallows will be sweeter than commercial fondant, but I have worked with that also and it is not as nearly nice or consistent to work with as Satin Ice. I have yet to meet anyone who minds the taste, even my picky eating DH, who has a crazy sweet tooth. And flavors can be kneaded in if you would like it sweeter.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUUMEME

I started making mmf first. I like the flavor, I use almond,vanilla and butter flavors in mine. My kids love it too. the workability of it was fine. Then I tried SatinIce and WOW! That is great quality to work with. So smooth and soft and just feels great in your fingers. BUT for taste I give it an F. It is nasty. My kids call it Playdough. And now they always ask if it is the playdough fondant before they sneek a piece off the counter. So I pretty much just use it for decorations that I know people will not be eating. It is great for that! It is a great product, I just bought a tub of black SatinIce and I know I am gonna love it. Just don't eat it!!

You know Suumeme. I am the "nice" person who tries to be neutral on here but not this time.

I really think that was uncalled for. If you don't like satin ice say so...don't down people who do. Get a life.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:41am
post #16 of 24

patticakes, I don't think suumeme's comment was ment to be insulting. I think she was playing around. CC isn't a critical place icon_smile.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #17 of 24

Personally I think Satin Ice smells and tastes like playdough too. I know there are many people out there that like it though. I think you have to do your own taste test and get what YOU like.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I like as well. I got a 20lb bucket today for 49$. That isn't much more expensive than what it costs to make it icon_smile.gif

WHERE!!!! did that include shipping???

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #19 of 24

Well personally I don't really like any commercial fondant. Granted they are so much easier to work with and would save me lots of time and effort, but I am not willing to sacrifice taste so I can have less work to do. I love to make beautiful cakes, but in my opinion cakes are supposed to be yummy not just pretty. I started out with MMF and now I make MFF. I love the taste and you can add extra salt to make it less sweet. Also I love adding white or dark chocolate. I was making rolled balls with the chocolate and I left the room for 5 minutes and came back and they were all gone. My 3 year old ate all 7 of them and kept asking for more chocolate.

I have never tried Choco-pan, but I def don't like how Satin Ice tastes.

dreaminofpastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreaminofpastries Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 10:13pm
post #20 of 24

tirby

http://www.fondantsource.com/ has a 20lb bucket of SatinIce for $52.99 not including shipping, they charge UPS shipping rates.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:35am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofpastries

tirby

http://www./ has a 20lb bucket of SatinIce for $52.99 not including shipping, they charge UPS shipping rates.

The address is blocked! Can u write it out or send us a pm?? Pretty plz??

dreaminofpastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreaminofpastries Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:18pm
post #22 of 24

You can google Jester's Cake Supply, its in Kissimmee, Fl. The website is not the same name as the store, I can't post the link. Hope this helps.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:51pm
post #23 of 24

I make MMF exclusively, I absolutely love it to work with. It took me a few times to get the hang of it but it was worth all the effort. It tastes good, rolls out well and lasts for a very long time. I don't usually flavor it unless I'm making a dark brown or black and then I add melted dark chocolate to 'help' the colour along!

The Chippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Chippy Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 1:14am
post #24 of 24

I really enjoy working with FondX fondant.  You can find it at http://caljavaonline.com/.  They've got all kinds of colors and types of rolled fondant.  I used to use Wilton fondant but soon after, I had to graduate to FondX and never liked anything else.  I've tried Satin Ice, and Masa, and Fondariffic, but they never could do the trick and cover the cake properly.  Never had problems with FondX or any of it's sister fondants.  I'd suggest giving it a try.  On http://caljavaonline.com/ they have a lot of sales and maybe you can try FondX at a discount.  I hope that helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%