Diy Cookie Board

Baking By linedancer Updated 16 May 2010 , 2:03pm by Spectra

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 31

I have been thinking a lot about how to make rolling cookies easier. I like to roll it between parchment paper and chill it rolled. I have been using dowel rods to help control the thickness. I looked at the dobord, but hated to fork over the money. I also could not picture how I could still roll on parchment with it.

Well, here is what I came up with. It costs very little, is easy to make and works like a charm IMHO thumbs_up.gif

I went to my local home improvement store, bought a 2 ft by 2 ft, 1/2 inch piece of plywood. I also purchased two 1/4 in square dowel rods. I asked the guy at the store to cut the plywood 15 3/4 (width of parchment paper plus 1/8 in for ease, plus 1/2 in for the width of the two dowels) and left the length at 24 inches. I brought my prizes home, washed them up. I cut the dowel rods to 24 inches, attached them to the plywood with a very thin layer of liquid nails. Let everything dry overnight. I covered the resulting board in clear contact. You could probably leave the wood bare or stain it, but I wanted to be able to wipe it off. The dough never touches the wood because of the parchment paper.

I used it today and just loved it. I put rubbermaid shelf liner under it so it didn't slip. I used the large wilton fondant roller as a pin. I have always hated it to roll fondant, but it worked great with my board. Thank goodness I found a use for it!!

Here are some pics.
LL
LL
LL

30 replies
sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 31

That so cool! I want one so bad. I think I will try a diy board until I am ready to buy one. Thanks for sharing.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 31

Nice job! I got a dobord from my dear hubby for valentines day, but this one looks great too!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 31

Linedancer... love it!
Thumbs-up and high-five!

linedancer Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks, it worked so nice for me, I thought others might like to take a look.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 31

That is really cool! I think I'm going to print this out so that I can go and make one myself! Thanks for sharing!!

linedancer Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 31

You are welcome thumbs_up.gif

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 31

Greetings from across the Skyway! Double high-fives for a great idea. Thanks for sharing!!!

icon_smile.gif

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 31

I will be attempting to make one of these this weekend. After making cookies this past weekend, this just seems like it would be so much easier. Thanks icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 31

For those of you who are considering making one of these, you should measure the counter you usually use to roll out your cookies. I left the length of mine at 24 inches because I have an island and the extra length doesn't make any difference. If you have a standard counter which is usually 23 to 24 inches deep, you might want to cut the length down to 22 inches. The width would remain at 15 3/4. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for all your nice comments

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #11 of 31

Thanks for the great idea!
I made one using an extra pastry board I had and 1/4" wood strips. I got it all assembled, then discovered my rolling pin was too short! It fit between the wood strips, which defeated the whole purpose of the strips. I had a good laugh, then went to Michael's and bought the long Wilton fondant roller. Haven't used it yet. Hope I didn't miscalculate anything else.

linedancer Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #12 of 31

cutthecake, you go girl, what a good idea to use something you already had. Bummer about the rolling pin though, as I said I always hated the wilton pin for rolling fondant, but I think you will find that it works great for this. THAT was something I already had icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #13 of 31

I just used my new pastry board to roll cookies, and I love it. Thank you so much for the great idea, linedancer! All my cookies are 1/4" thick and even. And they should be easier to decorate.

linedancer Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:04am
post #14 of 31

Glad you like it. thumbs_up.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #15 of 31

Thanks, I've been eyeing the dobord, but I cant charge for my cookies so I didnt want to spend so much $$ ( I do that already!). Now my hubby has a job! The truth is, I'm not scared of power tools. I may just try it myself!

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 31

Glad I could help. You don't have to use power tools. If you go to a home improvement center to buy the board, they will cut it for you icon_smile.gif That's what I did and it took me all of 20 minutes to make mine.

I used 1/4" dowels on this one, but have since found 3/16" ones, which I also like. Am thinking about putting them on the other side of this board, so I could roll either thickness. Just haven't done it.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 31

I don't see the pictures. I'm a visual person and would like to make this. Please help... icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 31

zoraya I sent you a pm with a pic.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #19 of 31

Got it, thanks! Thats brilliant what you made. Very creative!
The pictures are showing up in the thread for me now. Weird!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Glad I could help. You don't have to use power tools. If you go to a home improvement center to buy the board, they will cut it for you icon_smile.gif That's what I did and it took me all of 20 minutes to make mine.

I used 1/4" dowels on this one, but have since found 3/16" ones, which I also like. Am thinking about putting them on the other side of this board, so I could roll either thickness. Just haven't done it.

Thanks so much!

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #21 of 31

You all are welcome. Have a happy baking day icon_biggrin.gif

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 31

This is awesome! Thank you for posting this with pictures and instructions! I'm going to get my husband to make me one. I can't wait! icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #23 of 31

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #24 of 31

This is fantastic! I hope you don't mind if I use your idea. My husband has a construction business so I think I will put this on his honey-do list.

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #25 of 31

Thansk for the great idea. Can't wait to make one!

linedancer Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #26 of 31

Please feel free to use this idea, that's what this site is all about, sharing and helping others..

Thanks again for all the kind words.

momgns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momgns Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #27 of 31

I got two wooden slats at Home Depot 3/8 inch thick and at Home Depot they even cut it for me. I want it one foot long. They are easy to clean they were inexpensive and they don't take up any room.

Spectra Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #28 of 31

So glad I found this post, my husband is currently outside making me one of these for "Mother's Day". I can't wait to use it!!

Spectra Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #29 of 31

Oh, and where do you get the shelf liners anyway? Thanks!

linedancer Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #30 of 31

Usually Walmart or Meijers have it along where they have contact paper. Sometimes a little hard to find, but well worth it. Stuff just does not slide when you use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%