Help With Buttercream Icing

Decorating By welder Updated 1 May 2009 , 2:12am by welder

welder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
welder Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 10

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong when making my bc icing - sometimes it looks like small cottage cheese (curdling) I have made 2 batches and both look like it tonight. I use 1 cup butter and 1 cup crisco beat until smooth add my flavorings then 2lbs PS gradually. then beat I don't what is happening any help would be appreaciated!

9 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 10

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I use 1/2 cup butter, and a 1/2 cup crisco with 2 lb. powdered sugar.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10

Is there any liquid in the recipe?

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 10

what about the vanilla and milk?????

welder Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 10

I add liquid a little at a time - water milk something like that. The icing I made tonight looks wet like to much liquid but I haven't added any. It's almost like it has curdle on me.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #6 of 10

Are you sifting your powdered sugar?

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 10

I only use 1 cup of fat product for 2 lb of sugar then whip really well, (plus flavoring in liquid.) Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Sara-belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara-belle Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

I always beat the butter and the shortening.. then slowly add in the powdered sugar and milk together gradually.. its a little stiff then I add in the flavorings at the end.. Usually makes it the perfect texture.. Also, the butter soft.. not melted. I accidently left mine in the microwave a little too long the first time and it was kind of a mess.. I always do it on a lower speed too.. hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 10

I'm with the above posts ..... Your recipe is twice the amount of fat I use (mine is about 1-1/3 cups fat to 2 lbs p.sugar). I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk. Do you have any idea how much liquid you're using? The description sounds like too much fat/liquid compared to the sugar.

welder Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #10 of 10

Reading from the response, I think I might have beat it to fast, I'm going to trying mixing at a low speed now to see if it will help. I may be trying to hurry it up. And again, I may be putting to much fat in it like ya'll have said. I haven't used this recipe many times - i just switch over from using all Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%