Cupcake Freezing Question

Baking By Lenette Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 12:29am by mommyle

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

I need to bake cupcakes today for an event Saturday. Can I bake, freeze, pop them out to ice then back to the freezer? I won't defrost them I will just take them out a few at a time to ice.

Then I will take them out Saturday to deliver.
I want them to stay as moist as possible. Thanks!

6 replies
EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:30am
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't do that, not exactly sure why, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Can you just ice them right before you deliver them or do them the night before and store in the fridge?

SLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLH Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 7

I freeze my cupcakes up to a month ahead and keep them in an airtight container. You need to defrost them though because the icing will slip off when the condenstaion happens. Just the act of freezing adds moisture to the cupcakes. After they are iced, i would keep them in the refigerator. This works perfect and mine are always SO moist!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 7

Why do you need to put them in the fridge? I would just ice them and leave them out unless the frosting is perishable.

SLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLH Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 7

It's just what i do because i use milk in my buttercream icing.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 7

There's no right or wrong answer to this. We all get to choose. However, I use milk in mine too. And I let the frosting sit out in a tupperware bin for about 2 weeks and it's fine.

Some people on CC explained to me a long time ago (and I don't know the technical info or anything) but somehow when the milk and the powdered sugar combine, the sugar equalizes the milk or something. Anyway, the bottom line is that frosting doesn't go bad, like regular milk would if you just left it sitting out. Hope this helps!

Where is IndyDebi when we need her? I'm sure she could explain it much better!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 7

You can comfortably let them sit with icing in the fridge in an airtight container at least overnight. If there are too many of them and they are just in a cake box, place the box in plastic bags and close tight, so that the moisture doesn't all go out of the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%