Silpats Or Parchment?

Baking By cindy58 Updated 1 May 2009 , 10:34am by Sasha_Sweetie

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 9

Do you think it's a good idea to invest in a few Silpats, or is it better to just use parchment paper?

8 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 9

I think the Silpat is worth the investment, but I would probably use both. I know some people use cookie cutters directly on their Silpat. I probably wouldn't due to the possibility of damage. I would roll out the dough between two layers of parchment and then probably cook on the parchment. But if I were making cookies that were not rolled out, I would use the silpat for sure!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 9

I only use the Silpat mats. They rock! It's great, even baking. No burnt bottoms. No messy flour. They go right from the freezer and into the oven too if you need, very convenient. I invested in 12 of them to fit my half-tray cookie sheets.

I've used mine for about 8 years now, which pleases me so much when I think of all the parchment paper that saved from ending up in the garbage. icon_sad.gif That's such a waste.

I roll my dough right onto the mats without the need for dusting with any flour at all, cut the cookie shapes, slide the whole Silpat onto a cookie sheet, put it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes, pop out the stiff cookies onto another Silpat and right into the oven.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the replies -- the Silpats are sounding pretty good!

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #5 of 9

Be sure and buy the Silpat brand. I bought several others, and ALL of them wrinkled in the oven and ruined the cookies! icon_eek.gif I would reach in and pull on either side of mat to flatten, and they would wrinkle again! I use parchment now.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:21am
post #6 of 9

Silpat will save you rols and rolls and rolls of parchment in the next 10 years. icon_smile.gif Figure out the $ amount of the parchment !

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #7 of 9

...not to mention it being better for the environment, right? icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #8 of 9

I use parchment for everything. It saves a lot of soap and hot water not having to clean the pans or the silpats, etc.... not to mention the time it saves.

I get a case at Smart & Final and they end up being 1/2 cent a piece for a standard jelly roll size parchment. I have 2 dozen cookie sheets ( 12 standard and 12 full size) and I am forever filling sheets and swapping them out so for me to convert to Silpats would cost a fortune.

I also love that you can cut them down to all sizes for whatever diameter and shape of pan you need. As for the environment, I sort of pick my battles..... and I would convert to cloth napkins before I would ditch my parchment!! icon_razz.gif

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:34am
post #9 of 9

I prefer the parchment paper as I don't think the silpat mats transfer the heat as well as the paper on a metal tray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%