Peanut Butter Filling

Decorating By Widgens Updated 3 May 2009 , 1:25pm by Evoir

Widgens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Widgens Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:32am
post #1 of 13

Today I tried the recipe for Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Filling that I got from this site. Followed the recipe exactly and what I ended up with was a lot like a big glob of very sticky peanut butter. I added a bit of water and some powdered sugar and finally arrived at something that I could daub onto the cake and kind of spread it around a bit. But, I definately won't be making this again. Period. icon_cry.gif

12 replies
txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 13

so sorry it did not work out for you. Keeping looking & trying out different ones, and you will find one that you like.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 13

I made that recipe too icon_biggrin.gif ! I used it on a chocolate cake, and the PBF began to spread and ooze down the side of the cake. I tried to get most of it off before icing, but yikes it was an ugly site icon_eek.gif .

Now I use just peanut butter, some ps and some regular butter as my filling and it's yummy.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 13

I have a peanut butter filling that is a Italian merengue buttercream and then you add peanut butter to it. It ends up so fluffy and delicious! I will try and round up the recipe and post it here.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbakescakes

I have a peanut butter filling that is a Italian merengue buttercream and then you add peanut butter to it. It ends up so fluffy and delicious! I will try and round up the recipe and post it here.

I'M WATCHING JEN. I do hope you find it. icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks in advance for sharing with us. icon_smile.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 13

I made it and it was sooooo good. I didn't have any problems with it. I wonder if it depends on the weather and what kind of peanut butter you use. You could also just make peanut butter buttercream and use that as your filling. I use peanut butter buttercream with sliced bananas, and it makes a yummy filling! Good luck in your peanut butter filling adventure icon_biggrin.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 13

The p.b. mousse recipe on this site is out of this world. Uses whipping cream and cream cheese.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 13

If it's chocolate cake, I add peanut butter to plain old buttercream and add some chopped up chocolate chips. If it's a white cake, I make the gob filling and add peanut butter to that. Always delicious and never a problem.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 13

Ok here we go...(it's actually a Swiss Meringue buttercream not imbc)
4 large egg whites
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Don't shoot me, I never said it was fat free!!)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I always add quite a bit more! icon_biggrin.gif Start w/ 1/4 c. and then taste)

In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, brown sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes too hot to touch comfortably, about 7-10 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until the egg whites hold a fairly stiff peak, about 8 minutes. Add the butter, one or two pieces at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and peanut butter. Use at room temperature.

This recipe has never failed me and is always SUPER yummy!!! My mom likes me to give her the extra so she can eat it right out of the tupperware container! LOL Also, when I use this as a filling I sometimes put the mini Reese cups spinkled on the layers on top of this icing. You can find them in the baking section and they are so little and cute! Enjoy!!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah, I also just take my regular buttercream and add peanut butter until I think it tastes right...

jenny_adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny_adams Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 13

Oh that sounds like my last attempt at making peanut butter! icon_cry.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 13

I use an Italian Meringue with peanut butter in it, too, and man is it good!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 13

Last week I made a batch of dark chocolate ganache and used a small bowl of it to make into a choc-peanut filling for some cookies I made (basically a NFSC recipe with PB chips and mini choc chips). I whipped the ganache, no problems. Added the PB. Hmm. Seems like its going to work. Then, suddenly it went beyond that nice creamy point and started oozing oil! Yikes! Luckily I was watching and managed to save it. It would NOT have done for a cake topping, but it was actually perfect to fill the cookies 9ie between two cookies).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%