What To Do?

Decorating By haileysmommy Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm by panchanewjersey

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

i got a call thursday from my mother in law. who i don't get along with at all. she went on to tell me that her sister in law called her to see if i can make a cake. she needed a baby shower cake for may 9th. so i said give them my number. so the lady called after she got off of work. she was looking for something different not a regular cake.so i showed her all kind of cakes from here. she liked the diaper bag and the belly but they did not want nothing with fondant.so she called friday to see if they can come over saturday to look at pictures. i said sure . then she goes on to ask if i can bake a cake so they can tried it i said sure.when they got here saturday then went on to tell me that they have been to four differnt bakeries in the area everyone want 110 to 125.00 for a cake.they told me everyones charges $2 per a servings . i told her i would do $1.50. she was fine with that. they could not make up her mind she was here for two hours. so they pick this cake.i tild them i would do it for $115. if you could only have saw her face . i think she thought i was going to do it for 60.00.she told me let me talk to my mom and i will call you back.nothing as of yet.what would you do? what would you have charge?my husband hopes they back out. but i really want to make this cake just to show his family what i really can do.i think that the real problem is that my mil has talked so bad about me they don't know what to think.
thanks for the help
tiffany
LL

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 7

Let it go. They've got champagne taste and a poor man's pocket.

And stop under-pricing yourself. If 4 other bakers are charging $2 per serve, then you should be, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 7

At $1.50 a serving and $115 total, that's 76 1/2 servings.

Was she thinking of having 75 people at the shower? For $60 and 75 servings, that would be $0.80 a serving... Twinkies cost more than that.

Let her buy Twinkies. Image

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 7

the cakes serves 87 people.but since it was family i was only charging her for 72.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

Your MIL's SIL is NOT your family. You need to charge her full price.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 7

I charge 3.50 per serving so she would have been out of luck with Me. And like playingwithsugar said don't charge less than the ppl around you, not even for distant relations.

sari

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 7

I'm pretty sure you can do a good job but you don't have to prove yourself, don't stress over that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%