Help Please Fondant Tearing!!!

Decorating By mariaedith Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 4:18am by caseyhayes

mariaedith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariaedith Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I need some desperate advice on fondant please. I'm trying to roll out satin ice fondant (a 19x26 piece of it to cover a 12x18 sheet cake) and it keeps tearing. I've tried 5 times and I can't get it on. It's due tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 6

I've never used Satin Ice but since no one has answered you, I thought I'd give it a shot...

With MMF, when it's tearing when you roll it out, it helps to knead it some more, or microwave for 5 or 10 seconds to warm it enough to soften it a tiny bit. Also if it's tearing when you take it off the rolling surface, it could be from sticking, so try dusting the surface and the fondant with corn starch.

If you're rolling it on a vinyl or thin plastic sheet, you can probably take the finished rectangle and invert it over the cake to minimize the chance of it ripping when you pick it up. This works best if you're rolling with cornstarch and not with crisco, because the crisco leaves a less-than-smooth surface on the opposite side.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 6

I've never covered a cake that big and I've never used Satin Ice. I do wish you the best of luck!!!

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 6

I use Satin Ice all the time, make sure that you don't microwave it. Knead it in a little bit of crisco, roll it out and it should work better.
Good luck.

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:17am
post #5 of 6

i use satin ice all the time. It sounds like the fondant is a little too soft and too thin. What are you rolling it out on, shortening? Does it feel really sticky? It may be a combination of really hot hands and overworking the fondant in shortening. If so, use sugar. Roll the fondant in sugar and knead it until it is no longer sticky. You don't want it to be really stiff, because then you get the elephant skin look when you work it. Try rolling it out on a table covered with confectioners sugar and see if that works for you. be sure not to roll it too thin. I like mine to be about the thickness of a nickel. Good luck.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #6 of 6

sugarmamma to the RESCUE!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%