The Color Of Pulled Sugar

Sugar Work By marzipandoll Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm by -K8memphis

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 18

I've only tried making pulled sugar 1x and it didn't turn out very well. Not only I don't have a heating lamp (self note:but one!) but when my sugar reached the right temp it turned brownish, when I poured it an started to pull it it was a beautiful golden color but I wanted it clear. Did I cook it too long? My sugar thermometer showed 350F What am I doing wrong? icon_redface.gif

17 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 18

According to my DH, the correct temp should be 309 - 320 degrees depending on the size of the piece and the color you want. Higher equals darker and thicker.

Not sure how to get clear, you might try substituting isomalt for the corn syrup. This is what is suggested for clear spun sugar. you could give it a try.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #3 of 18

I don't know what happened to the response I posted to this last night - huh, it disappeared.

Anyway, yes, the correct temperatures are listed above.

And if you want pure clear or white product, you have to use straight isomalt.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 18

Theresa, I've only used sugar for stuff like this this. But my girlfriend gave me some isomalt to play with and I have no instructions. I just put it in the pot and cook it exactly like the sugar right? To the same temps? No other additives like vinegar or anything because the isomalt already is all balanced and lovely, user friendly, correct?

Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 18

Y'know what's funny though is the application I need it for, it really needs to be the carmel-y color of the cooked sugar but I need the isomalt because it will not react to the humidity as bad as sugar does. So I guess I need to color it--ha!

But you just melt it and cook it straight up right?

Thanks!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 18

If it is the type that looks like snow melt for the sidewalk, it should be boiled. I don't have my notes from class handy, so I dug this up off the Internet for you:

For pulling and blowing:

1000g Isomalt
100g Water

or

1000g Sugar
400g water
200g Glucose
10 drops Tartaric Acid

boil water to 320 F/ 160 C

PM me if you have any questions. And let us know how it turns out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 18

Don't waste your money cutting real sugar with isomalt. It's an absolute waste of an expensive ingredient. Use either str8 isomalt or do the sugar cooking method with glucose and acid.

Glucose will colour your sugar. The more you use the more colour you'll get sooner. you can decrease glucose and increase sugar.

Boil the isomalt to 180*c / 356*f. Don't bother adding water to it at the beginning, this just serves to distribute heat so unless you use a lot it's pointless. You don't need it with isomalt anyway it will melt dry on the stove.

Isomalt is the easiest way to go for sure, but Real sugar is much easier to play with and sculpt. It's softer on the fingers.

www.kincaellan.com

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 18

That's why we appreciate you so very much, Chef Jeff.

Thank You -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kincaellan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 18

Awwwwwh, LOL, I haven't been on here in a LONG time, but it's nice to hear. Now that I'm back from Australia I'll be logging a few more hours on here. Oh and the sugar sculpture book that's been taking sooo long is at the editors !!!!! Finally!

www.kincaellan.com

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 18

Glad to hear about the book. I'll be waiting to see the announcement about it's availability.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kincaellan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 18

I'll have to hear from Heath and Jackie about promoting it on here first and discounting it for Cake Central members.
In the mean time...
I'll answer questions as best I can in the forums without becoming a giant advert.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you so much!

icon_biggrin.gif

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:13am
post #13 of 18

Hey thanks for the responses!
This is what I have..
* 32 oz granulated sugar
*16 oz water
*8 oz corn syrup (light)
*2 tsp cream of tartar
The temp according to this recipe was 350F
If i change the temp as suggested, is this ok?
And OMG Chef Jeff I looked at the link in your siggy. *bows down*

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for all the info on water - isomalt (or sugar) ratio, I think I've been doing it all wrong which would explain a whole lot.

Question, what about adding color to it - like red. I know you can't use just regular food color, right? Is it the candy color I see in my local shop?

Thanks again.

kincaellan Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #15 of 18

Use any good Airbrush colour. They are filtered already and don't contain too many extra's that can crystallize your sugar.

www.kincaellan.com

-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #16 of 18

I've been practicing with sugar water & vinegar 'cause it's so cheap. My friend had given me about a cup of isomalt that she was never gonna use that someone had given her. OMG I love isomalt. It set up so nice and it was more dry than the sugar--way cool stuff. But still I'm gonna keep on with the sugar for training purposes.

But isomalt is awesome.

cakesbybecca31907 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybecca31907 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #17 of 18

Hi-

I just took a class with former White House pastry chef Roland Mesnier and he was FABULOUS - and very opinionated about isomalt. Just don't forget when using isomalt (especially for children's cakes, projects, etc. when they will actually eat it) that it is not technically sugar, and shouldn't be eaten in large quantities due to the, ahem, gastrointestinal issues it causes. He did say that it is the only thing to make perfectly clear projects (diamonds, ice, etc) but he won't touch it. He is a purist - doesn't even use cream of tartar - just lemon juice, and his recipe was so easy. I highly recommend his class if you get the chance. Thank you for all of the posts and tips out there. I have a bit of a blown/pulled sugar obsession going on right now and I love to read about others' projects.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 18

I can't even eat sugar so I am unfortunately very personally aware of the issues eating sugar free sweets. I got so sick once eating this teeny tiny bag of sugar free orange slices--thought I was gonna croak and they'd have to carry me out of the bathroom!!!! lol

It's interesting where purist's draw their lines. Sugar is sucha highly refined chemical that seems so normal and benign and accepted. But it is at least as bad as the other sweeteners etc. We're just familiar with it. Interesting huh.

Anyway sounds like a great class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%