Veggies In Cupcakes?

Baking By lhayes1976 Updated 29 May 2009 , 12:29pm by bonniebakes

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:27am
post #1 of 10

I have the opportunity to sell my cupcakes at a local farmer's market. My license would be what in Ky. is called a Homes Based Processor. The only stipulation is, that my product contain an ingredient I have grown. No problem for my Choc. Zucchinni and Carrot Cake cupcakes. I'm wondering could a little zucchini be put in every recipe? I love my Choc. Zuchiini Cupcakes, and I don't really taste the zuchinni. My "real" job is teaching school", and the farmers markets are perfect for my schedule. I don't plan on just selling baked goods, but later in the season I have an awesome onion-pepper relish and salsa I plan on selling.

9 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 10

I know you can put apple sauce, pureed prunes, or pumpkin in recipes without it really effecting the taste.... and it makes it healthier because of the veggies/fruits and because you can reduce some of the fat in the recipe. Not sure if that helps or not....

bonniebakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 10

I just saw an episode of "Cook Yourself Thin" of Foodnetwork and they put shredded zucchini in vanilla cupcakes. It replaces the fat (no butter or oil needed) and they said you couldn't taste the zuc.

bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 10

I saw another episode of cook yourself thin last night and they made red velvet cupcakes with shredded beets....

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

try the zuch in a spice cake - my mil makes something along those lines! adds ground pecans to it, too. wonderful w/ cream cheese icing.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 10

Check out the Deceptively Delicious and The sneaky chef...maybe borrow them from the library. Both would be able to give you may ideas as how to add fruit and vegetable purees to baked goods. Good luck icon_smile.gif

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 10

I add shredded and pureed veggies in lots of things since my kids are so picky. You can do beets in a true red velvet cake, my carrot cake has pineapple, carrots, and apples, pumpkin in pumpkin cake (great recipe here on CC), pureed sweet potato or carrots add a nice sweetness to many recipes, zucchini can go in just about anything--I use it in choc chip cookies. I do a lot of this in pancakes especially. I can tell you that cauliflower, brocolli, brussel sprouts, and anything else 'smelly' will not go over well--at least it didn't when I used them. If you search recipe sites for specific veggies, you will most likely find a baked good containing it. If there is no stipulation on how much vegetable must be in your recipe, adding in a tsp of pureed zucchini to anything won't change the recipe much at all froom what I have found.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 10

You could easily make your own applesauce-(very easy in a crockpot or microwave) and add about 1/2 cup to any cake mix- it will make it more moist.
You can also instead substitute some applesauce for some of the oil in a cake recipe without altering the texture tremendously.
HTH

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 10

you could do fresh mint it takes nothing to grow just keep it in a pot or you WILL have a yard full!!!!

bonniebakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 10

I made vanilla cupcakes yesterday (from a mix) and replaced the oil with finely shredded zucchini - they were great and you would never, ever guess it was in there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%