How Do I Make This Cake???

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm by Tee-Y

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 20

Help....need your advise....Does anyone know who's cake this is, and what I would need to make it. It looks like a 6/8/10...does that look right to you? Are these just teardrop & round cutters? Ivory fondant with white flowers, and is that yellow or gold dots? Help please. What about the flowers on the bottom? Thanks guys.
LL

19 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 20

Sorry I can't help, but that cake is gorgeous. Please post pics when you are done.
Hopefully someone else can help you!

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 20

I don't know about any of the rest but the flowers are Magnolia. It's a beautiful cake.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 20

Woow nice cake,looks like a lot of work, sorry can't answer any of your questions.

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 20

I agree - hope someone can come up with the artist that did this and the technique...

p.s. pics in the thread are not loading - I'm getting red x's - whassup with that??

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 20

It looks like the smaller circles are made using a circle cutter and use your thumb or ball tool to indent in the middle.

The larger tear drop shapes look like they are ribbons of sugarpaste that have been made to look like petals. If you look closely you can see the cake icing in the middle of the 'petal'.

The inside bit of the ribbon has some dot piping on it to hide the join to the cake. Some of the petals have a smaller petal on the top.

Hope this makes sense!

Using ribbons of sugarpaste would give you more of a 3D look like the cake, teardrop cutouts would give you a flatter look. See how they have turned the ribbons so they are coming out from the cake slightly.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 20

That cake is awesome!! Do you know who made it?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 20

I'm in awe staring at the cake. I hope you get the cake done the way you like it =]

tinygoose Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

It looks like the smaller circles are made using a circle cutter and use your thumb or ball tool to indent in the middle.

The larger tear drop shapes look like they are ribbons of sugarpaste that have been made to look like petals. If you look closely you can see the cake icing in the middle of the 'petal'.

The inside bit of the ribbon has some dot piping on it to hide the join to the cake. Some of the petals have a smaller petal on the top.

Hope this makes sense!

Using ribbons of sugarpaste would give you more of a 3D look like the cake, teardrop cutouts would give you a flatter look. See how they have turned the ribbons so they are coming out from the cake slightly.

Yeah I noticed the petals coming out a bit too. I think they must have used large teardrop cutters then cut smaller teardrop inside the petal then dried them on something that gave it the slight curved outward appearance? Or maybe just used a ball tool to curve the petal? I'm not sure. Thank you for all the replies. I didn't get any emails so I thought no one replied. I didn't realize I had to click "watch this topic" on my own topic....better go back and check my past post that I thought no one replyed to also. icon_surprised.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 20

I seem to think you can draw out an outline or template of the flower so that they can be uniform then using a clay gun with tho circle disc squeeze out gumpaste and arrange along the outlines forming the flowers and leave to dry then pipe the dots, fix on the cake and put other finishing touches IMO.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 20

Wow thats pretty.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

I seem to think you can draw out an outline or template of the flower so that they can be uniform then using a clay gun with tho circle disc squeeze out gumpaste and arrange along the outlines forming the flowers and leave to dry then pipe the dots, fix on the cake and put other finishing touches IMO.

This sounds like it could work.Good luck.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 20

That is a beautiful cake.

Please post your cake, I'd love to see it and get directions on how you figured it out. I'd like to make one to show.

I'm sure you can do it! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 20

It looks to me like is piped in Royal Icing with tip 104..Some of them are dried hard and some of them are piped right in top of the cake..Finish with dots and maybe some swirls or cornelli lace here and there...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:18am
post #15 of 20

Well, I met with her tonight. She decided to go with this one, but in all white, only 3 tiers, with sugar diamonds as flower centers, silver balls, silver and light blue luster dust for the petals. Matching cupcakes. She decided she wanted a "fun" cake. What do you think? I think it will be cool. Thanks so much for all your help guys. I may do the other one as a dummy cake, I really like it.
LL

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 20

that will be adorable!
can't wait to see it when its done =)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 20

Thats pretty..and a bit easier too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Thats pretty..and a bit easier too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Yeah I think so too.

Tee-Y Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #19 of 20

Well, your job has been made a lot easier icon_lol.gif Have fun!!!!!

Tee-Y Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #20 of 20

Well, your job has been made a lot easier icon_lol.gif Have fun!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%