Australian Or Oriental Stringwork

Decorating By awnee Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 2:24am by jules5000

awnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awnee Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 9

Hello! Does anybody know if there is a video out, somewhere, that teaches you how to do this type of stringwork? Or is there a tutorial somewhere? I have looked and searched but come up with nothing...anybody? please help! thanks...awnee

8 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 9

Wow, i am suprised that there are no tutorials on here. I searched everywhere I could think of including you tube. Sorry I could not help.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 9

All I can tell you is you gotta flip the cakes upside down and back again allowing the strings to dry completely in between flips to get those gravity defying incredible effects.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 9

And for real strong strings you can add some gum arabic and use real egg whites.

Polish_princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polish_princess Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #5 of 9

I have some pics, if that is what you are looking for then i can send you the instructions

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish_princess

I have some pics, if that is what you are looking for then i can send you the instructions

Are you still willing to share this information? This thread came up while I was researching for a tutorial/instructions for oriental stringwork. you can PM me or send to my email.
(Mod edited - You must use CC pm or email service.)
Thanks so much,
Crystal

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

String work, an extremely delicate form of cake decoration, is also known as extension work.

http://www.paulinescakes.com/2010/04/australian-string-work-rolls-royce-of.html

We never call it "stringwork". Try looking for "extension work", "bridge and extension work" or "curtain and bridge work" ..

We traditionally use nozzles size 1, 0, 00 and 000 with a Royal icing made from egg whites and Pure Icing Sugar ..

I'm told Toba Garrett has it in her first book - you could check there ..

Video:
http://www.vitalrecipe.com/view/8v3r9v9qw/intricate-piping-and-lace-extension-work/

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:58am
post #8 of 9
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:24am
post #9 of 9

Auzzie and justforfun: thank you for including all the info about stringwork. It is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%